Residential codes

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Tried searching to no avail,so here we go.Does anybody know where to go(online,in person,etc) to obtain building residential code for a specific neighborhood...? Thanks in advance.I'm sure you can get anything build as long as you keep mojando manos,but let's just say you wanna do it by the book.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Codia is probably where to go, but don't get all upset if you cannot find out anything.

There are seismic codes, which common sense says to use. You can find them at CODIA.

Anything else?????

HB

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Well,let's say you wanted to build something,and you wanna do an extension or a third floor

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
For example,if most dwellings in the neighborhood are 2 floors,but you wanted to do three,to get the most from the lot

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Once, looking for the same kind of info for a solar in la feria (sd) , I found sort of zoning info. I think it was on the ayuntamiento site. It was only for the D.N.

It gave only the numbers of levels for each location, nothing else (distance to street, materials requirements, distance to neighbours, window openings, etc, nothing like that).

In some popular zones outside the DN you might use the IDGAS (I Don't Give A ****) building code. It may not be advisable though.

Barnab?

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Deleted message. Posted link but this is only for a very small part of the city. sorry.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
For example,if most dwellings in the neighborhood are 2 floors,but you wanted to do three,to get the most from the lot

~IMO I would hire a local engineer to ensure that the first two levels are structurally sound and will handle the new load of the third floor, he can tell you and design the addition to local building codes and include seismic and wind shear data calcs as well. Better to be safe rather then sorry....protect your investment....

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Agreed a 100%,that's why I'm asking these questions.

~IMO I would hire a l

ocal engineer to ensure that the first two levels are structurally sound and will handle the new load of the third floor, he can tell you and design the addition to local building codes and include seismic and wind shear data calcs as well. Better to be safe rather then sorry....protect your investment....