fridge 12v

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If it is for home use, the better models are 24vDC. I do not know if they are available in a retail store in the DR. You will find a medium size US or European manufactured model will cost around US$1,500+. There are smaller models which are 12v and are often used for vaccines in remote areas. You may have to call around to people in the country selling solar panels. They can probably order it for you. I used 2 - 75 watt panels and 4 six volt batteries to run a unit by it self and it worked wonderfully. Probably would not be big enough for more than a small family.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi Tom, yes you're right. Actually, I'm thinking of using solar based on low consumption with: 12v fridge, few lights, no tv, ac - fans... solar cooking (which I already use)... And I'am thinking of using a 3 X 40 watts panels kit. Should be enough. :)

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
I lived on solar/wind for 20 some years. Your estimate of 120 watts is under by at least a factor of three, or at least you'll get there by trial and error over time, and that will be more expensive than doing it right the first time.

JD is right on the propane reefer. For the el. part, carefully spreadsheet the watts to be drawn against the charging capacity, being sure to include 20% charging inefficiency loss and to account for the diurnal effects of charging along with the % occurrence of heavy cloud cover.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
I know, 120w is very low... I'll see but one of my goals is to consume as less electricity as possible. I'll tell you if it works...
:)