Truman show

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Reading on dr1 today I felt I ended up in Truman Show, you know, the movie where Jim Carrey plays a guy who believes his life is real (but actually it's all fake) and everybody is playing along.

Is there anyone that can fill me in what's going on (if necessary by PM) or is it me who's Truman here.

(does this make any sense at all?)

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
1) I assume it is possible to hijack someone's posting priviledge while they're incommunicado.

2) I don't know MA, but if the posts from her ID are really hers, she needs help. I wish her all the best.

3) Posters here suggesting the DR is unsusual in its lack of U.S. Bill of Rights protections need to know not only that it is NOT, but that the U.S. is unique among all nations in those protections in aggregate, although they may often be abrogated in specific.

4) Posters here suggesting the U.S. Embassy or Consulate offers will "serve and protect" U.S. citizens in distress need to know what I've learned over 43 years living and working all over the world:

—— foreign service bureau-rats and assorted 'attaches' are self-serving (e.g., they *don't* serve you), and

—— local employees of U.S. Embassies (used to be 80% by law) are loyal only to the gf/bf that hired them.

That said, the Citizens' Services desk at the Consulate, as well as at the Consular Agencies throughout the DR, seem to do a good job at the pro-forma stuff.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Twilight Zone

Reading on dr1 today I felt I ended up in Truman Show, you know, the movie where Jim Carrey plays a guy who believes his life is real (but actually it's all fake) and everybody is playing along.

Is there anyone that can fill me in what's going on (if necessary by PM) or is it me who's Truman here.

(does this make any sense at all?)

Reading several different posts I also felt as if I was in the twilight zone.
Why come from the USA to the DR and fight the government and organized crime.
Lot's of work left to do at home.
All the aid to Haiti has not helped the people.
Living in a tent in the DR will not get you any respect, a good lawyer may.