Visiting Punta Cana June 9th-16th, 2012

Dawn M. Brien

Jun 6, 2012
Hi,
We are visiting the Punta Cana with our Company and we are bringing Clothing and toys for Orphanage Children..Delivering these items personally is very near and dear to our hearts, so that we can see and share the pleasure of the happiness it will bring to the children!! We understand that there is one in Higuey but, it is all boys. Our clothing includes girl clothing also!!! We would like more information on visiting the orphanage is La Romana . Does anyone know any info (contact information, phone #, etc,the best transportation options, do they allow visitors, or info on any other Orphanage near Punta Cana ) Our other option is talking it into a local village to distribute it. Looking for any and all Help to do this!
Thank you,

trangalanga

Jun 10, 2011
www.villa-elena-bavaro.com
I suggest you take it to an orphanage in the place where you live. If you bring it here, someone will keep all the clothes and sell them for his/her profit, not one orphanage child will ever get anything.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I can put you in touch with a woman who volunteers at a school in a very poor area in B?varo - Hoyo de Friusa.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I suggest you take it to an orphanage in the place where you live. If you bring it here, someone will keep all the clothes and sell them for his/her profit, not one orphanage child will ever get anything.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. I've seen plenty of places where the kids DO get the donations. I'm not saying it's always the case but if they get good contacts, I'm sure they'll be able to help.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I can put you in touch with a woman who volunteers at a school in a very poor area in B?varo - Hoyo de Friusa.

I'm guessing Escuela de Nazareth? They're doing a great job over there.

Another contact would be the local Rotary Club. You can reach them at 829-342-7327 or 809-552-9999.

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
While i have no help to provide you i want to commend your efforts! This poster is off his rocker and shows what a miserable person he is by this post:

I send all the small clothing (in near perfect condition) from my 10yo and 9yo daughters to my fianc?’s mother in central DR who gives them to children in need that live in her poor community, she does not sell them for a profit.

thank you for being so selfless, god bless you and your group.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm guessing Escuela de Nazareth? They're doing a great job over there.
That's the one - Our "Shopping, Cocktails and Relax" event in December made a donation which bought sports equipment for the school, the Book Club raised funds with the book stall at the Punta Cana bazaar which paid for a new fence, and several of our members volunteer as teachers and help in several ways. They have bought shoes for the children and recently organised a recycling campaign where they sell plastic bottles and other waste to a commercial recycling company to raise funds for the school.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
While i have no help to provide you i want to commend your efforts! This poster is off his rocker and shows what a miserable person he is by this post:

I send all the small clothing (in near perfect condition) from my 10yo and 9yo daughters to my fianc?s mother in central DR who gives them to children in need that live in her poor community, she does not sell them for a profit.

thank you for being so selfless, god bless you and your group.

Bwaaaaaaaa!! Do you SEE her give them to them??? Puleeeeeze.

To the OP, I would definitely go with someone who is known by someone here on the board or at least an orphanage or school that a member here is familiar with.
They can talk however they want about the other poster but what he/she described happens more OFTEN THAN NOT. I NO LONGER hand my donations to the nurses and docs at the hospitals I donate to, I hand them out MYSELF, and go back myself or have a friend take them until they are gone. NEVER leave the leftovers. I have been burned, so I suggest that you find someone reputable through a member here. Good Luck.

SHALENA

what is your beef???

There is nothing wrong with donating to a reputable charity or orphanage.
See http://www.beyondthebeach.ca/puntacanagallery.html

3Rotary@beyondthebeach.ca send PJT an email, he is with the Bavaro Rotary and can steer you in the right direction

Last edited:

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
Bwaaaaaaaa!! Do you SEE her give them to them??? Puleeeeeze.

YES, i have SEEN her give it to them & I have SEEN many of the children wearing the articles that were given to them by her from us. We spend about $80 to send a case filled with used clothing, food and other basic needs every few months and enjoy doing this; we include a 50lb bag of rice with each box and she will SHARE it with her neighbors! He gets mad at this but she is a good person with a good heart and I do not doubt she is the only person living there in poverty and still thinking of others.

What else?

There is no need to be so cynical, more people will do good than harm. What is the reasoning for the majority people on this site to automatically bash someone who wants to do good and make a difference? I have had 4 children, i have donated 4 sets of near brand new baby items to women in need in my local area. While I may not agree if they are actually in need or why they are in need I still choose to donate instead of sell for a profit as I was once the one in need. Karma can come around to bite you in the rear-end when you least expect it.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
YES, i have SEEN her give it to them & I have SEEN many of the children wearing the articles that were given to them by her from us. We spend about $80 to send a case filled with used clothing, food and other basic needs every few months and enjoy doing this; we include a 50lb bag of rice with each box and she will SHARE it with her neighbors! He gets mad at this but she is a good person with a good heart and I do not doubt she is the only person living there in poverty and still thinking of others.

What else?

There is no need to be so cynical, more people will do good than harm. What is the reasoning for the majority people on this site to automatically bash someone who wants to do good and make a difference? I have had 4 children, i have donated 4 sets of near brand new baby items to women in need in my local area. While I may not agree if they are actually in need or why they are in need I still choose to donate instead of sell for a profit as I was once the one in need. Karma can come around to bite you in the rear-end when you least expect it.

CLAP. CLAP. CLAP.
What was that, your acceptance speech for some sort of Charitable giving award??

Myself and the other poster just told the TRUTH. Just in case you didn't know, people come on here for information and it ain't always gumdrops and rainbows. She was being advised to find a reputable person/organization if she wanted her donations to get where she intends. Just because you send a few tanques to your campesina mother in law dies not make you the expert on giving.
She was directed to find a reputable person because MORE OFTEN THAN NOT (in case you have English comprehension difficulties, that means MOST OF THE TIME) Dominicans will steal the donations. It's a fact of life whether YOU accept it or not.

And please spare us your "I send all my kids old clothes" speech cuz you couldn't touch my DR Charitable endeavors with a ten foot pole and I have no need to list one by one what I do. Half the time that I'm in DR DOING....nobody but a couple of people on this board know it. I've found that the people that TALK the most, DO the least. You have NOTHING on me babe.

BTW, in case someone didn't tell you. Sending sh*t to a poor campo is part of your duty as an expat wife of a campesino, you are expected to do that sh*t. So you are nothing special honey. Maybe you and the rest of the extranjera wives of campesinos can get together and form a club, maybe you all can get a discount on sending your tanques together.

Back to the subject and to the OP, I hope that the other posters who offered names have gotten you in touch with someone reputable. There is much needed in DR, but it IS a concern to make sure that your donations get where they are needed. Good luck to you on your trip!

SHALENA

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

--Karl Marx (and how often do you get a chance to quote Marx, anyway?)

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
wow, no wonder you are banned all the damn time for being suck a prick.
and let me tell you something honey; NOTHING is expected of me except to take care of my own children. I DOT NOT have to do anything for anyone except my own, I do these things because i am not all about myself. You would be the person I would expect to be selling and making profit by the simple nasty way you carry yourself.

CLAP. CLAP. CLAP.
What was that, your acceptance speech for some sort of Charitable giving award??

Myself and the other poster just told the TRUTH. Just in case you didn't know, people come on here for information and it ain't always gumdrops and rainbows. She was being advised to find a reputable person/organization if she wanted her donations to get where she intends. Just because you send a few tanques to your campesina mother in law dies not make you the expert on giving.
She was directed to find a reputable person because MORE OFTEN THAN NOT (in case you have English comprehension difficulties, that means MOST OF THE TIME) Dominicans will steal the donations. It's a fact of life whether YOU accept it or not.

And please spare us your "I send all my kids old clothes" speech cuz you couldn't touch my DR Charitable endeavors with a ten foot pole and I have no need to list one by one what I do. Half the time that I'm in DR DOING....nobody but a couple of people on this board know it. I've found that the people that TALK the most, DO the least. You have NOTHING on me babe.

BTW, in case someone didn't tell you. Sending sh*t to a poor campo is part of your duty as an expat wife of a campesino, you are expected to do that sh*t. So you are nothing special honey. Maybe you and the rest of the extranjera wives of campesinos can get together and form a club, maybe you all can get a discount on sending your tanques together.

Back to the subject and to the OP, I hope that the other posters who offered names have gotten you in touch with someone reputable. There is much needed in DR, but it IS a concern to make sure that your donations get where they are needed. Good luck to you on your trip!

SHALENA

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

So anybody that donates or gets involved in charitable giving needs your approval I take it?
Who appointed you the minister of charitable giving of dr1?

Seriously there was no need to attack that person on here, I already know what your response will be and that you don't give a rat's a$$ what I or any other member thinks. I just find it pretty scary that you deal with patients in a hospital and have this sort of anger over a minor issue of giving out clothes to an orphange.

I wish you and all the birthing Mom's luck.

tambo'

potatohead

May 10, 2012
wow, no wonder you are banned all the damn time for being suck a prick.
and let me tell you something honey; NOTHING is expected of me except to take care of my own children. I DOT NOT have to do anything for anyone except my own, I do these things because i am not all about myself. You would be the person I would expect to be selling and making profit by the simple nasty way you carry yourself.
are there a lot of fist fites among the expat community in DR?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So anybody that donates or gets involved in charitable giving needs your approval I take it?
Who appointed you the minister of charitable giving of dr1?

Seriously there was no need to attack that person on here, I already know what your response will be and that you don't give a rat's a$$ what I or any other member thinks. I just find it pretty scary that you deal with patients in a hospital and have this sort of anger over a minor issue of giving out clothes to an orphange.

I wish you and all the birthing Mom's luck.

tambo'

Please quote me where I "attacked" the OP....go ahead, I don't mind. I'll wait right here.
BTW, Mrs. Sendatanque is not the OP
So again, I'll wait here while you go find where I attacked the OP

SHALENA

P.S. And you're right, I DON'T give a rat's a$$ ;)