hosting a wedding in DR, questions and opinions please ;)

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
I already know we are getting married in DR in April of 2012 :) But now I need to start planning?. </SPAN>
My future mother in law lives in a very small town in the Central part of DR about 30 some KM from Bonao (to the east), we originally planned to have the wedding ceremony in the church which the family belongs, however then I would have to find lodging for our extra guests and a venue for a reception and all that good stuff. While this is not the first time either of us will be married it is the first ?real? wedding we will be a part of. I am not looking for anything fancy or over the top, I would like to keep it very simple yet elegant. I will have very little time to plan this out so maybe the easiest way to go would be to hold it at a resort and let them do it all. I really don?t know! I want to have our wedding in DR so his family can be there as we are rvery close with them but I am not the type of woman that needs a large lavish wedding or has the time and energy to plan such an event so maybe this makes me less enthusiast about doing the work that is required. </SPAN>
If we go the rout of a resort wedding I am thinking of the Lifestyle Confresi Palm in Puerto Plata, they had one small wedding while we were on our resort week there list April and it seems very nice and calm (exactly what I want), the resort was beautiful and rooms comfortable enough with a decent low price. You are not getting anything 5 star at the Confresi Palm but I don?t want to ?force? my guests into spending an arm and leg to celebrate with us. If we do it at the church we can always have the guests stay one night in a small hotel and then all go to a resort for the rest of the week, right? Or is that asking too much of the guests? How will I find out if there are local clean, safe hotels in the area without relying on his mother to do a lot of research for me? After seeing all the recent govt warnings for traveling at night I am cautious about traveling at night and more importantly having guests who are not familiar with the country or the mindset of the people.</SPAN>
My question is what are your opinions on this? Are there enough women and men who don?t hate women on here who can give me some? LOL</SPAN>
Have you ever been to a wedding at a resort? Which resort and how was it, do you still have a reception dinner at a resort? I have searched online but most resorts do not have the specs listed but instead have a phone number for you to call to get the details of the wedding packages. </SPAN>
In other words ?What would you do??</SPAN>

Thanks so much ;)</SPAN>
Sarah</SPAN>

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Remember that you do not have to go to a resort, as the judges here will go anywhere so you could go to a restaurant or on the beach or a mountain top! Be prepared for many of the Dominican guests not to turn up, I have been to Dominican weddings where 100 were invited and only 10 turned up, especially if they have to travel. If you want them there then I would stick to Bonao. The catering at the reception can be kept simple, you could just barbecue a pig and have salads and rice.

Unfortunately I don't know Bonao or the area well to suggest a location for you - maybe some members on the board can help.

If it was up to me I would stay there and not bother travelling to POP.

Matilda

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I would agree to stay in Bonao. Not very many Dominicans invited will show up if they have to travel out of the way. Does he have any sisters or primas that can help you find a place there?
Either way, Good Luck! I love weddings! (it's the subsequent marriage I'm not too crazy about) :)

SHALENA

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I would ask myself (you) the question, is this wedding for you or the relatives and have that help determine where you have it. If geography doesn't matter, Pier Giorgio in Sosua is a wonderful setting for a wedding. I had a party there last year and the staff went out of their way to be of service.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Congratulations!

I'd go for a combo of the two. Have sentimental ceremony in that little community church and have a Dominican reception/party/pig roast afterward so that all the campo family and friends can be included and the visiting gringos get to see what it's like to party with Dominicans. Certainly will bond both sides to the new marriage and each other. Groom can probably suggest a female relative, other than his mom, to help out (perhaps can also help with lodging) If distance is an issue, you can probably negotiate a guagua to take everyone to and from as needed. If you truly aren't set on certain details, you can delegate to one of his relatives, who will have the time of her life planning, preparing, and decorating for you. That way you can concentrate on taking care of those pesky gringos. (Yes, I'm making a lot of assumptions:)

After recovering from the party, gringos can move on to beach resort, relax, have a brunch/reception/toast/dance a couple days later at the hotel in line with what you would have done in a more formal setting.

I can't wait, don't forget to invite us!

(Ok, if you are concerned about the security--I think you want to consider how presents will attract problems--be real specific with your guests on presents (as much as family dynamics will allow--and Dominicans in the campo and travelling gringos will have different "requests.") Personally, I know someone who was robbed in their hotel room in Santiago of all their wedding presents years ago. I'll also assume you'll have prepped family/friends on basic security and do's and don'ts.

Wil_Vic2011

May 20, 2012
Hi all,

I am seeing some gread advise on the above post and thought I would pick your brains for some more info...We are getting married in Pto Pta in sept/oct 2013! I am looking into resort weddings but am having difficulty getting responses from the resorts. Has anyone had or been to a wedding that caters to a group larger than 10 people. (i.e- includes a dinner) We are having approx. 35 guests with half coming in from Canada.

I am looking @ Bahia Principe San Juan as an option...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
Our daughter got married at Princess All-Suites Punta Cana & it was really lovely. Also our niece just got married at Dreams Punta Cana and no complaints there either.

Jo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hi all,

I am seeing some gread advise on the above post and thought I would pick your brains for some more info...We are getting married in Pto Pta in sept/oct 2013! I am looking into resort weddings but am having difficulty getting responses from the resorts. Has anyone had or been to a wedding that caters to a group larger than 10 people. (i.e- includes a dinner) We are having approx. 35 guests with half coming in from Canada.

I am looking @ Bahia Principe San Juan as an option...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Bahia Rio San Juan is a bit secluded.... that's not bad if everybody doesn't mind staying 'on site' for the visit.

Other areas offer more diversity and are closer to the airports..... La Romana, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hello. Good luck on the wedding. I recommend the Pinar del Rio in Maimon (Bonao). The owner is my friend. You can search on facebook, but no pictures since it was redone. It is less than 30 mins from Bonao. We had our wedding there. It is outdoor and along the river. Nice gardens, etc. The catering was from Bonao, as well as, the decorating. Also, it is better to just bring the judge to the wedding. As word of advice, I have been to two weddings and the judge is always the last to arrive. There are plenty of pensions and nicer hotels for the out of town guests. Expect to pay bus fare and accomodations.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
hi I m a british citizen and married a dominican girl, with a swiss passports 3 years ago in the countryside in POP region. We got married in DR because my family has the means to come over wheras hers doesnt. My family stayed 1 week in my house( I live half the year here), and then went to a resort for another week. We had the reception in a small disco place near my home, cooked 2 pigs and got catering for salads and resr from aresort in puerto plata. Here the bride s best woman buys the cake and the grooms best man buys the drink. u care to the food and place.We had like 20 of my family round and like a 100 dominican guest but it wasnt too expensive( more or less 5000 dollars without the cake and dronk. for that the place was made up real nice by an agency wedding thing, official photograph and film, lots to eat and dress and suit, so not bad for the price. security wise I walked up to the local police station and for a thousand pesos and some drink I had a police captain and two privates checking invitations out front....It was really great and everyone had good fun especially my family who had never been here. it wasa bit nervewrecking for me and my wife making sure my family was safe at all times. Bonao is not to far so I can imaging it been like here and if ure dominican family has respect for u everything will turn out real cool.....I wish u the best of luck and a grat wedding.

DennyDee88

Sep 12, 2011
I have a friend who is a wedding coordinator here in the DR. She used to work at Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana but no she has her own business. Look her up on Facebook. I will pm you her facebook page. She is very good and can help you plan a great wedding. She knows a lot of great places all over the island for weddings.