Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel - anyone with experience with this vehicle?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hey....

Anyone own or know someone that owns a Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel want to share their experience? Good, bad, worth it? Cheers.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Santa Fe only comes in gas version.

Never have seen a diesel version...especially here in Canada, maybe a diesel version is available in the DR.

Believe it or not wood, I have seen 2 here in Gasper Hernandez, both in the local repair shop for some reason, but they are here, the diesel version

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hey....

Anyone own or know someone that owns a Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel want to share their experience? Good, bad, worth it? Cheers.
Almost bought one myself back in 2007, everybody I know who has one is happy with it, seems to be an excellent car.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Do they have the diesel version? I read it gets 38mph.

I never saw a vehicle which couldn't do at least 38mph. Did you want to say miles/gallon?
BTW, I never saw a gasoline version, the ones I saw were all with diesel engines.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hyundai makes excellent diesel engines, easily on par with Isuzu.

I read somewhere that Hyundai makes more diesel trucks than any manufacturer on the planet. Like the Honda Super Cub, that counts for something...

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
With the proper care, easily. The same can be said for just about any diesel. But maintenance is key. I made the mistake of running water in my cooling system on my Land Rover, because I didn't want to pay 100 dollars a gallon for the special antifreeze they require.

Guess what? The water ruined the intercooler. That was a nice little $3000 dollar mistake.
Is it customary for a car dealership to keep or have maintenance records? Also, does the heat in the Dr
Have negative impact on diesel engines? The car I'm looking at is a 2008
Santa fe diesel asking price is $750k.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Is it customary for a car dealership to keep or have maintenance records? Also, does the heat in the Dr
Have negative impact on diesel engines? The car I'm looking at is a 2008
Santa fe diesel asking price is $750k.

Sounds like a fair deal, just make sure to check the engine and maintenance record.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Sounds like a fair deal, just make sure to check the engine and maintenance record.

If you take it to a mechanic, would he be able to tell the health of the engine? He would have to connect to the computer correct?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you take it to a mechanic, would he be able to tell the health of the engine? He would have to connect to the computer correct?

That is one method to find out the status of the sensors and an overall general status of the engine. I purchased my own On Board Diagnostic (OBD) tool for that very reason and I am glad I have it.

I never had a diesel engine so I don't know if a compression test is also a good idea or what other tests are more appropriate for diesel engines versus gasoline ones. Also check the drive train, struts, and break system

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I am seriously considering the Santa Fe diesel CRD. The new one has a 2.2ltr high pressure rail turbo diesel engine and over 130bhp with over 300 lb/ft of torque.

I read an article about an Australian who drove one from coast to coast of OZ and AVERAGED 50mpg. Okay that's imperial gallons, but very impressive nonetheless.

My research has shown up gearbox problems, but only with the petrol versions in the US.

I'm guessing that the most important thing would be regular fuel filter changes with original Hyundai units, with it being a diesel.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I am seriously considering the Santa Fe diesel CRD. The new one has a 2.2ltr high pressure rail turbo diesel engine and over 130bhp with over 300 lb/ft of torque.

I read an article about an Australian who drove one from coast to coast of OZ and AVERAGED 50mpg. Okay that's imperial gallons, but very impressive nonetheless.

My research has shown up gearbox problems, but only with the petrol versions in the US.

I'm guessing that the most important thing would be regular fuel filter changes with original Hyundai units, with it being a diesel.

Yeah I read the same article, though it is an extreme, on average, ive read owners getting 35-40mpg. Would you mind sharing where you are looking? Because Im not in DR I am mostly looking online.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
If the maintenance work was done by the dealer, and the vehicle was bought at the dealer, yes, they'll have records. I wouldn't be surprised if you could take the VIN number to the dealer, and see the history.

As long as you keep the engine compartment somewhat clean, and the radiator filled with the proper coolant, heat shouldn't be an issue.

The 2008 for 750K isn't an incredible deal, but it ain't bad if it's been taken care of. Are you looking at the pearl white one with 82K kilometers?
Yes, that's the one on supercarros.com right?