Bottled Water Dispensing Systems...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I am looking for bottled water dispensing system for my refrigerator so I can dispense bottled water and make ice through it. I've searched Amazon and found this http://www.amazon.com/Flojet-BW1000...System/dp/B000LDQ9VK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Is there similar system that I can buy here? I read the review and it looks like it's rather loud but I guess it's the price I'll have to pay if we want to dispense water and make ice automatically.​

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can you just set up a system where the bottle is upside down above the refrigerator and use gravity?

Aug 21, 2007
Another- but more expensive- option would be to put a UV water filter under your sink and run a line to your frig. Then, you wouldn't need to bother with the bottles. The water would be pure. This is the system I have and it works great! I drink right from the kitchen sink tap and get cold, pure water from my frig. Costs about $1,000 US, but then no more bothering with water bottles.

Lindsey

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I would like to see a link to this product.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr AE's brother has a setup with an adapter which connects the 5 gallon bottle to the water intake. So the water and ice thru his door is bottled. I'll ask where he bought it next time we talk, but you probably could find out at any appliance store or department.

He lives in SD

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Koreano, I use the flojet to provide water to both my refrigerator for ice and a separate small faucet at the sink for washing vegetables/cooking.

Been using it for 2 years & highly recommend. If you decide to buy one, they sell a 12v and a 120v system... make sure you get the right one.

I bought the faucet, some extra hose, and quick connect & t fittings at Bottled Water Pumps - FreshWaterSystems.com

6161.jpg

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Flojet system works great for that application. We imported ours, but I think they are available in country. Believe I saw them in Freddy's in Sosua before.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the info guys.

I did brought a reverse osmosis filter bought from Home Depot with us but from looking at brown water that gets pumped out from our underground tank, I doubt filters would last very long and from that brochure it doesn't look too safe, I'll need more research on this.

That UV water system is tempting but it's way too expensive to put in the rented house. And it's got to be how many bottles of water to offset the price of US$1000? If that UV filter lasts long and one unit can be used in whole house and relatively maintenance free I might consider.

It looks like I might have to import this if I can't find it here with warranty...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
... looking at brown water that gets pumped out from our underground tank....

That UV water system is tempting ...

Depending on the cloudiness of the water, the UV filter won't be as effective.
The UV light needs to penetrate the water in the chamber to be effective. Too cloudy, the UV doesn't reach/kill all that it needs to.

The cloudiness at times is a problem at my place. EcoServe (mentioned in above posts) said they could 'guarantee' us clean, drinkable water 335 days a year. Problem is, I don't want to be guessing which 30 days of the year it's not drinkable :dead:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You can buy the flojet at most ferreterias, but they cost like 8500 pesos, while in amazon about 115 USD. However shipment will cost like 2000 pesos as well, so maybe buying locally is not such a bad idea. Make sure you remove your fridge's filter if you use Flojet, while it will damage the pump.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
You can buy the flojet at most ferreterias, but they cost like 8500 pesos, while in amazon about 115 USD. However shipment will cost like 2000 pesos as well, so maybe buying locally is not such a bad idea. Make sure you remove your fridge's filter if you use Flojet, while it will damage the pump.

I installed our Flojet about 4- 5 years ago. Feed split to an ice maker and to a single sink faucet for drinking water. It's been functioning w/o any problems since. They're heavy so i imagine I paid a hefty sum for the shipping. When ours needs replacement, I'll buy locally.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Depending on the cloudiness of the water, the UV filter won't be as effective.
The UV light needs to penetrate the water in the chamber to be effective. Too cloudy, the UV doesn't reach/kill all that it needs to.

The cloudiness at times is a problem at my place. EcoServe (mentioned in above posts) said they could 'guarantee' us clean, drinkable water 335 days a year. Problem is, I don't want to be guessing which 30 days of the year it's not drinkable :dead:
As I understand it, a UV system is only effective against microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses. They must be used in conjunction with another filter for dangerous heavy metals such as lead, arsenic, etc.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
As I understand it, a UV system is only effective against microorganisms such as bacteria and viruses. They must be used in conjunction with another filter for dangerous heavy metals such as lead, arsenic, etc.

yes, there is a filter for sediment prior to the uv chamber (as i understand).
as it was explained to me, most of the time that filter would remove enough sediment/cloudiness for effective uv treatment.
the problem in my residence is that there are times the water is so bad that the filter could not clarify the water sufficiently for the uv. at that point i was told we'd need to call for service - when we notice cloudy water. my concern is there's an undefined range between clear and visibly cloudy where there may be harmful bacteria that arent neutralized. so, ultimately for me, it doesnt make sense to buy it. if i had a clear water source all the time i'd probably install the uv system

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I installed our Flojet about 4- 5 years ago. Feed split to an ice maker and to a single sink faucet for drinking water. It's been functioning w/o any problems since. They're heavy so i imagine I paid a hefty sum for the shipping. When ours needs replacement, I'll buy locally.
Mine stopped working after less than a year, I bought another one that also stopped after a year or so. Was thinking of buying a 'neverita' and forget about getting ice and water from the fridge, but then our fridge had a problem and the technician of Corripio who came to fix it, fixed both Flojets in like 20 minutes. I thought they had an electrical problem cause by a peak in volt (or is it ampere?) but it seems it was the sensor that detects if there is water in the bottle. Next time I buy local too.

gregc

Jun 7, 2012
Mine stopped working after less than a year, I bought another one that also stopped after a year or so.

As one of the founders of ECOSERVE my opinion is admittedly biased. Nevertheless, here is some general info that I hope is helpful:

No water purification system that is accessible to an average home owner is designed to deal with the extreme water conditions we have from Cabarete to about Perla Marina (parts that receive water from the Catalina aqueduct). The brown or carrot-colored water that comes through when it rains heavily for a few days will overwhelm most home water filtration systems with sediment in a matter of weeks. The filters will get stopped up and require changing.

That said, most people who have bought systems on their own and tried to manage them end up frustrated as the quote above shows. I would definitely warn against buying a system abroad and trying to manage it on your own (unless you have a lot of patience and some plumbing skill). You will need to change filters periodically and, in the case of UV systems, clean the hardness off the UV sleeve. You will get much better results buying locally from a company that offers ongoing service and has replacement filters and parts in stock.

UV systems do require a certain level of water clarity to ensure proper UV dosage. This is why most systems come with two layers of pre-filtration to make sure the water is clear by the time it runs through the lamp. The problem isn't typically that dirty water gets through the system. The problem is that, when the pre-filters get full, the water pressure drops in your home and you need to change those filters. Your local water purification company should provide this service for you.

I hope this is helpful.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
As one of the founders of ECOSERVE my opinion is admittedly biased. Nevertheless, here is some general info that I hope is helpful:

No water purification system that is accessible to an average home owner is designed to deal with the extreme water conditions we have from Cabarete to about Perla Marina (parts that receive water from the Catalina aqueduct). The brown or carrot-colored water that comes through when it rains heavily for a few days will overwhelm most home water filtration systems with sediment in a matter of weeks. The filters will get stopped up and require changing.

That said, most people who have bought systems on their own and tried to manage them end up frustrated as the quote above shows. I would definitely warn against buying a system abroad and trying to manage it on your own (unless you have a lot of patience and some plumbing skill). You will need to change filters periodically and, in the case of UV systems, clean the hardness off the UV sleeve. You will get much better results buying locally from a company that offers ongoing service and has replacement filters and parts in stock.

UV systems do require a certain level of water clarity to ensure proper UV dosage. This is why most systems come with two layers of pre-filtration to make sure the water is clear by the time it runs through the lamp. The problem isn't typically that dirty water gets through the system. The problem is that, when the pre-filters get full, the water pressure drops in your home and you need to change those filters. Your local water purification company should provide this service for you.

I hope this is helpful.
This is probably helpful for those filtering tap water, I actually referred to my flojet that stopped working two times, used to dispense bottled water.

In my homecountry I used a reversed osmose filter system. Actually the tap water there is of outstanding quality but it doesn't taste as good as bottled water, using the filter we had better tasting water, although unfortunately not cold. I had thought about bringing it but in the end gave it to my parents while I didn't expect to start drinking tap water here even with the best filter I can find.