What to expect from Danilo?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What do I expect from "Fernandez Lite"?
More of the same,like borrow & spend,like huge tax increases,electricity increases,food price increases,fuel price increases,and mostly,"Blame everybody else" excuses.
Now what other president is also doing that??? :confused::confused::confused:
Only "GOOD" thing to expect(For Those Of Us With USA Dollars) the DR peso will more rapidly devaluate.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well if rumors turn out to be true then we can expect some incremental, but very important reforms. From today's paper ?Revuelo por forma comprar? Gobierno - ElNacional.com.do it appears he wants to have better transparency on government procurement. I don't know about only buying things when the money is available, but reviewing existing contracts and open invoices for overcharges or non-delivery as suggested is a good start. Also reviewing the quality of goods received (just like any other purchasing entity would do).

The example of the government having to buy things such as school benches almost every year, whereas private schools don't shows the differences in care and quality control between private vs. public sector purchasing. I'm cautiously optimistic.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Claims by Roberto Rodriguez, spokesman for the elected President Danilo Medina, that the Government will not buy any goods or services without first having the money to pay cash and thus avoid future claims involving overvalued prices, caused a stir among suppliers of the state today.

A source close to this sector, with which the government maintains a multimillion-dollar debt accumulated, called into question the way the State will determine the cash purchases, without first paying off the debt.

Marchena stated that the Government will order purchases only when they have the money available for the payment, saving the State to pay the suppliers invoices in collusion with officials at overvalued rates.

The statements of Rodriguez Marchena, who is the only person so far that has issued opinions on various issues on behalf of the team of President-elect, were issued in the program Propuesta de la Noche.

They said another reason for concern among suppliers is that it was unofficially stated that there will be a review of accounts receivable, many of them for sums in the millions, because of the suspicion that many suppliers have not only overvalued bills, but In many cases the goods and services have not been delivered in full to the government agencies that order them.

Another subject of the plan that is to be imposed in the new government, always according to unofficial sources, a demand-related quality of goods and services offered to the State, and cited the cases of agencies that order goods and services in extreme higher demand such as Education and Health.

Cited about the case of Education, which has drawn attention because every year are made massive purchases of items such as desks, whose lifetime is very limited compared with similar items purchased by education centers and private schools.

He said that in the case of the health sector is targeted the procurement of medicines and equipment, as not all the area has supported the Promise effort to lower prices.

For the equipment it was said that there will be a "forensic audit" to determine the destination for hundreds of millions of pesos in goods ordered.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Rumor I heard Danilo will be too busy sucking up to Fernandez so he has turned over all official duties to Felix Bautista.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I expect nothing at all from any DR government. That way anything positive that happens is a pleasant surprise.

If the new government will indeed only buy things when it has the money, how will they ever buy anything again?
Get more loans from the IMF.. Do they ever have to pay those loans back, I mean really?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I expect nothing at all from any DR government. That way anything positive that happens is a pleasant surprise.

If the new government will indeed only buy things when it has the money, how will they ever buy anything again?
Get more loans from the IMF.. Do they ever have to pay those loans back, I mean really?

"They" don't pay it back, it's the people, the entire country.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
It is rumored that he will create much harsher rules, fees, travel restrictions, deportations, etc. on Haitian immigrants. Comments appreciated.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Claims by Roberto Rodriguez, spokesman for the elected President Danilo Medina, that the Government will not buy any goods or services without first having the money to pay cash and thus avoid future claims involving overvalued prices, caused a stir among suppliers of the state today.

A source close to this sector, with which the government maintains a multimillion-dollar debt accumulated, called into question the way the State will determine the cash purchases, without first paying off the debt.

Marchena stated that the Government will order purchases only when they have the money available for the payment, saving the State to pay the suppliers invoices in collusion with officials at overvalued rates.

The statements of Rodriguez Marchena, who is the only person so far that has issued opinions on various issues on behalf of the team of President-elect, were issued in the program Propuesta de la Noche.

They said another reason for concern among suppliers is that it was unofficially stated that there will be a review of accounts receivable, many of them for sums in the millions, because of the suspicion that many suppliers have not only overvalued bills, but In many cases the goods and services have not been delivered in full to the government agencies that order them.

Another subject of the plan that is to be imposed in the new government, always according to unofficial sources, a demand-related quality of goods and services offered to the State, and cited the cases of agencies that order goods and services in extreme higher demand such as Education and Health.

Cited about the case of Education, which has drawn attention because every year are made massive purchases of items such as desks, whose lifetime is very limited compared with similar items purchased by education centers and private schools.

He said that in the case of the health sector is targeted the procurement of medicines and equipment, as not all the area has supported the Promise effort to lower prices.

For the equipment it was said that there will be a "forensic audit" to determine the destination for hundreds of millions of pesos in goods ordered.

i read in an article somewhere that the desks used in Dominican schools are imported from Mexico. if this is true, do i take it that Dominican craftsmanship is at such an abysmally low level of evolution that they cannot build such rudimentary things here? or, is it that the officials get better kickbacks with that deal?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
i read in an article somewhere that the desks used in Dominican schools are imported from Mexico. if this is true, do i take it that Dominican craftsmanship is at such an abysmally low level of evolution that they cannot build such rudimentary things here? or, is it that the officials get better kickbacks with that deal?
You have three (3) guesses...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's easier to hide huge overpayments,and the ensuant kickbacks on foreign purchases.
The DR paid 2 million more for the Metro cars than China,and one other country paid for the identical cars!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
It's easier to hide huge overpayments,and the ensuant kickbacks on foreign purchases.
The DR paid 2 million more for the Metro cars than China,and one other country paid for the identical cars!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Untrue facts! The DR paid more than China for the metro cars, due to the fact that China also purchased first the technological rights to the same and the ones that were built outside of China's own were reflecting the "fee" discount based on that contract. China bought the rights and tech to build the same cars in their own plants for the future units. the prices paid reflected what amounted to the royalty fee discount of owned tech and royalties from the Chinese contract.

That was the PRD experts the ones with that info on the contracts...

But they do use kickbacks in the DR and France/Spain for the most part, so overvalued stuff is bound to be found, just not on that level.