LG Products - Buyer Beware - My Experience

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The compressor on my split unit air conditioner stop running.

So, My wife stopped by Plaza Llama repair service and they sent out a technician.

He determined that the "Starting Capacitor" was bad and needed replacement.
The technician voiced concern about getting the part from "LG" to do the repair.

For those that do not know what a "Starting Capacitor" looks like, it's about half the width of a pack of cigarettes and round, with connections for two wires. A very small easy item to replace.

The next morning my wife stopped by Plaza Llama repair service to check on the status of the part.

She was told that the compressor would have to be disconnected and returned to Plaza Llama repair service. Later that day, the technician arrived and disconnected the compressor.

He arrived on his motor bike and I asked, how are you going to take the compressor back to the shop.
We were informed, that was OUR job.

Now why was it necessary to return the compressor to the Plaza Llama repair shop for such a simple repair?

Because it was under warranty and it has to be sent to "LG" in Santo Domingo for repairs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was on Wednesday, we are told it will not leave for Santo Dominigo until TUESDAY.

While at the shop, my wife noticed a large double sided refrigerator and asked if the customer was also responsible for bringing it back to the shop, the answer was "YES".

So for a 10-15 minute repair time to replace the starting capacitor in my compressor, they emptied out the R-22 coolant and are taking about a week, just to get it to Santo Domingo.

I will definitely remember this the next time I think about buying an "LG" product.

Don - Waiting weeks to have a "simple, easy" item fixed on an "LG" air conditoner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don. Thanks for the heads up about LG in general. In your specific situation, do you think it would have been possible to find an alternate source for the starting capacitor locally in Santiago and just have another fellow replace it? I have replaced a few start-up capacitors on other appliances and just brought the bad capacitor to a local shop to get a new one.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Don. Thanks for the heads up about LG in general. In your specific situation, do you think it would have been possible to find an alternate source for the starting capacitor locally in Santiago and just have another fellow replace it? I have replaced a few start-up capacitors on other appliances and just brought the bad capacitor to a local shop to get a new one.

There's still one year left on the warranty on the compressor unit.
If the warranty was over, that's what I would have done.

The inside console has a 2 year warranty, the outside compressor unit has a 3 year warranty.
I thought it was 2 years on both, we were 2 days away from the 2 year expiration of the console part.

Doing it myself and voiding the extra year warranty of the compressor was not a chance I wanted to take.

But, I definitely thought about it...... :smoke: lol

Feb 7, 2007
So because you were afraid of voided warranty you will now have to endure 10 or more days of this awful hellish hot weather we have been having for the past 2 weeks.

Any refripartes store could get you a capacitor, I am wuite sure that the capacitor did not have LG brand printed on it, so it would be hard to observe a non LG capacitor. Anyway If I were presented with the option like you were, I would have said Lama people Gracias nos vemos and resolved it myself. I guess the parts and labor would not cost more than 1000 pesos. A year ago I replaced a compressor core on the compressor (outside) unit and the new core bought locally was undistinguishable from the original Nedoca one.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not sure that this is LG's fault, sounds more like the same old crap from Plaza LLama. Never buy anything through them. Their warrenty service on anything sucks.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Now that we are on the subject, how is Westinghouse for a brand for AC unit? The sales guy at PL said it was great.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
PL Headache

He determined that the "Starting Capacitor" was bad and needed replacement.
The technician voiced concern about getting the part from "LG" to do the repair.
(...)
I will definitely remember this the next time I think about buying an "LG" product.

LG products are not that bad.
We have an LG fridge, it's 14 years old, low consumption (115 W), can freeze the hell.

To replace a capacitor I would never let a PL technican do it.
They probably do more damage than good and I know that you can do it yourself.
Less headache, faster and may even be cheaper (as your repaired unit will never be the same as it was...).

donP

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So because you were afraid of voided warranty you will now have to endure 10 or more days of this awful hellish hot weather we have been having for the past 2 weeks.

Any refripartes store could get you a capacitor, I am wuite sure that the capacitor did not have LG brand printed on it, so it would be hard to observe a non LG capacitor. Anyway If I were presented with the option like you were, I would have said Lama people Gracias nos vemos and resolved it myself. I guess the parts and labor would not cost more than 1000 pesos. A year ago I replaced a compressor core on the compressor (outside) unit and the new core bought locally was undistinguishable from the original Nedoca one.

Plaza Llama was a little slow in giving us the details (Great mystery).

Remember also, the opinion that it was the capacitor may or may not be correct.

I won't even try to count the times I have been told things that were not true in this country !!!!!!!!!!!!

The unit was working in the morning, we turned it off when we went out.
When we got home later in the day and tried to turn it on, it would not run.

All the technician had with him was a Voltmeter and a screwdriver.

He never even had me turn off the electric, just checked to see if the 220 volts was on the line going to the compressor unit. I did not see inside the unit, no idea how he determined it was the capacitor. He never fully removed the cover, took the screws out, started to remove the cover, then stopped and put it back together again.

Out of warranty, I would have tried a replacement capacitor.
Plaza Llama was aware of a problem with the unit and me trying to replace it would have been a red flag if that was not the problem. I had no valid reason not to let them disconnect the compressor.

As I stated, we originally thought it was a simple matter of replacing the capacitor, then we learned the hard way of what they were going to do, we were already committed to them, telling them 'no' would not have worked at that point.

The full unit cost over $30,000 pesos, if the problem is not the capacitor it could have gotten expensive.

The technician that said it was the capacitor did not tell us it needed to be sent to Santo Domingo, we found that out when we checked the next day, and then it was too late, they were coming back out to disconnect it.

As far as not being "LG's" fault, it would have been nice to know they won't let anyone take their units apart and that all warranty repairs must be done in Santo Domingo.

I, like many others probably believed that Plaza Llama's repair service would do the repair under the warranty.

LESSON LEARNED

When I get the unit back, I will update this thread with what was really wrong with the unit, IF THEY TELL ME.

To replace a capacitor I would never let a PL technican do it.
They probably do more damage than good and I know that you can do it yourself.
Less headache, faster and may even be cheaper (as your repaired unit will never be the same as it was...).

donP

Maybe that's why "LG" insists that Plaza Llama send their products back to Santo Domingo for repairs.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I had to replace the capacitor on my split AC 2 days ago after 10 years of daily use. Very simply done. The local technician came, quickly diagnosed the problem, climbed up to the compressor, removed the top with a screwdriver, took out the old capacitor, put in a new, and fastened the top back on. Took no more than 45 minutes from the time he arrived to when he left and he charged me RD$1200 for everything, including the new capacitor.

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Hi all,
I have replaced 2 capacitors on my Lenox split. Both times it was the fan capacitor and they cost 100 pesos. So if you have a outside unit overheating and shutting down, check the fan & capacitor. I replaced 2 compressor run capacitors on other brands, and they are easy to replace and do not cost much. All capacitors can be tested with a ohm meter. Turn off high voltage FIRST before doing any repairs !!!! I check out the run starter relay as they go bad and are cheap to fix.
carib

GNLove

Jan 8, 2012
I am no AC Tech but I have found whenever I have an issue, I troubleshoot via internet. I asked my son one time why he was not bringing over his PlayStation. He said it did not work now and needed a new one. I told him to bring it next time. We turned it on, it had an error message. We googled the error message and received step by step instructions how to correct. Putting it back together there was a piece of mylar covering part of the innards. We had to take it apart which he did not want to. I told him I do not know what exact purpose this has but for damn sure if it was not needed it would not be in there. Everything is built as cheaply as possible. The is a favorite line of the car "mechanics" here. It is not needed so they do not put it back once taking it out. Same principle if not needed it would not be there. Except of course in the case of smog control pumps on the '78 cars. Take that off and the engine ran much better. Advance the timing as well by 2 degrees.

I have done it with refrigerators as well.

I would say it is a good place to start and when you do need the tech you at least have some knowledge as to what is going on and chances are you will stand less a chance to get ripped off.

GNL

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I guess I should have mentioned that I never removed the 8,000+/- BTU window unit from the wall when we installed the split unit LG air conditioner 2 years ago........

Ahhhh, life in paradise.

Always Keep a Backup :cool: lol

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fail-Safe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Not sure that this is LG's fault, sounds more like the same old crap from Plaza LLama. Never buy anything through them. Their warrenty service on anything sucks.

To many posts about Plaza Lama for me to buy anything with a warranty there. My wife bought a GE spilt unit a number of years ago. It's been moved to our second story. No problems at all, except I need to continually remind her to have a brother clean the filters when I'm not there. The capaciter is basically a starter for the compressor. It stores electricity to start when the theremostat or relay tells it to. LG makes good stuff but many refurbished items are sold in the DR. I looked at 4 out of 6 microwaves in La Sirena once that showed refurbished on the ID plate. Best to go to a store that does appliances and maybe furniture. The capacitor is easy to replace. Maybe you are best to throw the breaker, get the model # for the capacitor and go look for one. PL will probably have it sent on "a slow boat from China". Part in US is around $40.00. We've had good luck with dealing with one company that has several furniture/appliaqnces stores in SD. If you are paying cash, ignore the posted prices and put on your negotiating shoes.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Everything I buy here, I buy with the mindset that it doesn't have a guarantee, unless it's a super expensive repair.

Had it been my A/C that blew the starting capacitor, it would have been fixed in an hour or two. I refuse to go through the headaches.
Exactly...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes i do the same thing.

I have an big collection of the strangest tools and parts in my home. You never know when you have to think like an Dominican, and repair it yourself.

You're definitely becoming Dominican :p

Mr. AE keeps an old hard-side suitcase filled with some of the oddest things. He never throws anything out because "I might need it later". And, amazingly, he often does!

And if something electrical is absolutely useless, he cuts off the electrical cord and adds it to his treasure chest.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You're definitely becoming Dominican :p

Mr. AE keeps an old hard-side suitcase filled with some of the oddest things. He never throws anything out because "I might need it later". And, amazingly, he often does!

And if something electrical is absolutely useless, he cuts off the electrical cord and adds it to his treasure chest.
I strip things of screws/nutz/bolts/washers, fittings, wire, components, you name it...