Difference between police

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
How do you tell the difference between a Canadian Police Officer, an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

QUESTION: You're on duty by yourself walking on a deserted street late at night.
Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and lunges at you.
You are carrying a Glock 40 and you are an expert shot, however you have only a split second to react before he reaches you.
What do you do?

ANSWER:

CANADIAN POLICE OFFICER:

Firstly the officer must consider the man's Human Rights. (they forgot: Is this really a knife or a ceremonial dagger?)

1) Does the man look poor or oppressed?
2) Is he newly arrived in this country and does not yet understand the law?
3) Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
4) Am I dressed provocatively?
5) Could I run away?
6) Could I possibly swing my gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
7) Should I try and negotiate with him to discuss his wrong doings? [ MAYBE OFFER HIM A TIM HORTONS DONUT ???]
8) Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
9) Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society?
10) Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
11) If I were to grab his knees and hold on, would he still want to stab and kill me?
12) If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed if he falls over, knocks his head and kills himself? .
13) If I shoot and wound him, and lose the subsequent court case, does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and the loss of my family home?

AUSTRALIAN POLICE OFFICER:
BANG!

AMERICAN POLICE OFFICER:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! 'click'...Reload...BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
(Sergeant arrives at scene later and remarks: 'Nice grouping!').

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Force

How do you tell the difference between a Canadian Police Officer, an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

QUESTION: You're on duty by yourself walking on a deserted street late at night.
Suddenly, an armed man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and lunges at you.
You are carrying a Glock 40 and you are an expert shot, however you have only a split second to react before he reaches you.
What do you do?

ANSWER:

CANADIAN POLICE OFFICER:

Firstly the officer must consider the man's Human Rights. (they forgot: Is this really a knife or a ceremonial dagger?)

1) Does the man look poor or oppressed?
2) Is he newly arrived in this country and does not yet understand the law?
3) Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
4) Am I dressed provocatively?
5) Could I run away?
6) Could I possibly swing my gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand?
7) Should I try and negotiate with him to discuss his wrong doings? [ MAYBE OFFER HIM A TIM HORTONS DONUT ???]
8) Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
9) Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society?
10) Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
11) If I were to grab his knees and hold on, would he still want to stab and kill me?
12) If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed if he falls over, knocks his head and kills himself? .
13) If I shoot and wound him, and lose the subsequent court case, does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and the loss of my family home?

AUSTRALIAN POLICE OFFICER:
BANG!

AMERICAN POLICE OFFICER:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! 'click'...Reload...BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
(Sergeant arrives at scene later and remarks: 'Nice grouping!').

The same goes for a Canadian or German who wakes up in the middle of the night and has a guy with a knife standing in the bedroom.
It's named The Use Of Force Model.
The force reasonably necessary to prevent or stop an offence and to active control.
The judge in his air conditioned chambers will decide if you acted correctly in your moment of terror, which could also be at night on the street.
Don't defend yourself too much and see if they REALLY want to kill you.
Guess the crimimals have it easier.
Who let the dogs out???? :dead::dead::dead:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The same goes for a Canadian or German who wakes up in the middle of the night and has a guy with a knife standing in the bedroom.
It's named The Use Of Force Model.
The force reasonably necessary to prevent or stop an offence and to active control.
The judge in his air conditioned chambers will decide if you acted correctly in your moment of terror, which could also be at night on the street.
Don't defend yourself too much and see if they REALLY want to kill you.
Guess the crimimals have it easier.
Who let the dogs out???? :dead::dead::dead:
I would go with the American police action. LOL

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It seems Canada is the new Holland (or Holland the new Canada). I like the Australian approach though.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
English police very rarely carry firearms and the murder rate and armed assault rate is far lower per head of population than in the USA. I guess the public get the laws, the criminals, and the police they deserve.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I would judge the distance. My weapons training tells me if he is more than 5 feet away and under 15 feet away to use pepper spray or a taser and tell him to drop it with the gun pointed at him next. If he looks hurt after the spray hits his face and the knife is not pointed towards me, I would ding him in the head a few times with the baton and tell him to get down and hit him in the head until he got down or his head split open and he dropped the knife (all while not being within too close range of the knife and able to easily back up to withdraw the firearm). Then, I would immediately get the knife from him and cuff him. Or if he is too close and within 5 feet of me, pop him. But that would be hard to do because my immediate reaction would be to go sideways or back so he can't get close while I decide which nonlethal weapon to use to try to subdue him. I would make sure to pop him in the stomach or legs so that he goes to jail and does not have the luxury of dying.

I have taken police training courses and the last thing I would want to do is shoot. I could get put on administrative leave while they investigate if I could have used nonlethal means to subdue him. I could even get hit with manslaughter or even murder if people disagreed on whether or not I could kill him. Also, my bosses would be on my back to see what happened and how to chew my ear if they thought I could have subdued him without shooting. Also, my bullet could go through him and into a home or hit or kid of an innocent bystander and kill them. A big thing to judge would be, what is behind or near the guy? Am I going to hit a small kid playing outside or a senior citizen? Who is with the guy? Should I retreat? Does the guy look like he means business or just clowning me? Does he look high or drunk?

BillSappo

Sep 29, 2011
English police very rarely carry firearms and the murder rate and armed assault rate is far lower per head of population than in the USA. I guess the public get the laws, the criminals, and the police they deserve.

The UK is a far more violent country than most...but I wouldn't be so tasteless as to suggest they deserve it.

Adam_iz

Jun 14, 2012
Ok, let me share ajoke on differences between police.
American: We catch the thief in just 2 hours.
Australian: We catch the thief in just 2 days.
Britain: We catch the thief in just 3 days.
Indian: Its is nothing, we inform about robberybefore it happens. :D

Cornelis

Sep 29, 2011
The Dutch approach;"You want money, right?" "OK, then, explane me how much and for what?" "I do not have money here but we will go to a bank to get it for you." "I had not even coffee yet this morning, want a coffee?"

CaribbeanGent

May 28, 2012
Dominican Police Officer: for 500 pesos, I won't shoot you and we can both walk away and forget this ever happened.