Car-related questions..

95civhb

Jan 25, 2012
Looking at buying some sort of a used vehicle later this summer, and I wondered about getting parts for vehicles. I see all kinds of brands on supercarros, from GM's, to VW's, Toyotas, Hondas, Skodas, etc. I used to work in automotive parts part-time, and I know in North America it was hard to get parts for some vehicles. What brands would you avoid getting? What are the makes to get parts for? I'll be based in the Punta Cana area. Any good mechanics in that area that have a good reputation?

As sort of an add on, any recommends for a vehicle? I'll be mostly putting around the east, but will go into SD at times, and even in the limited driving I've done in SD, I can't get over the crazy gaps between the roadways and the parking lots. I'm concerned a car's suspension will be wrecked by a wrong move. My budget for a vehicle is tight (max 150,000 DOP).

Any recommends for an insurance provider who can provide theft insurance?

If you can help me out, that'd be great!

Thanks!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
For spare parts, Toyota seems to be the best in my opinion for parts and repair.
Used parts are generally cheap here.

For instance:

I bought a drivers front door with power window, power door lock and the control panel for about $50 U.S. a few years ago. It was so cheap I also bought the passenger door just for the power window, power door lock and control panel (Also it serves as a backup in case of damage).

If a car is over a certain amount of years old, the insurance company will only cover damage to the "other" car", not yours.

D in Santiago

95civhb

Jan 25, 2012
For spare parts, Toyota seems to be the best in my opinion for parts and repair.
Used parts are generally cheap here.

For instance:

I bought a drivers front door with power window, power door lock and the control panel for about $50 U.S. a few years ago. It was so cheap I also bought the passenger door just for the power window, power door lock and control panel (Also it serves as a backup in case of damage).

If a car is over a certain amount of years old, the insurance company will only cover damage to the "other" car", not yours.

D in Santiago

Thanks for the reply. That is very cheap! What model do you drive?

What's the gradient on that? How old would the car have to be to not be covered for damage to my vehicle?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
In this country Toyota rules but not sure what you will get for 150,000 pesos as Toyatas have a high resale price but parts are available everywhere for them here ! Good Luck

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
In this country Toyota rules but not sure what you will get for 150,000 pesos as Toyatas have a high resale price but parts are available everywhere for them here ! Good Luck

Have to agree with this, and pretty much every mechanic knows how to repair a Toyota......I had a chevy once, and it took a dominican mechanic 9 hrs to replace a belt.....yes 9 hrs, now if it was a Toyota, that would have taken about a half an hour.....the mechanic says to me,,,,,after he started.....i've never worked on one of these before.....lol.....get a Toyota.....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For that price you will need a lot of parts and a full time mechanic to keep it running.

95civhb

Jan 25, 2012
good to know... What's the ballpark for getting into something decent? I'm not adverse to high km cars (I had a 95 civic with 300,000km's and would have continued to drive it), and I know Toyotas handle km's very well.

I do have a bit of mechanical knowledge, so I can do basic maintenance myself (hammerdown - the belt story you mentioned gave me shudders!), but things like suspension, major powertrain issues, and oil changes (yes, I know they are basic, but some things are worth the money!), I'll leave to the pros..

Where I come from, the biggest problem cars generally have is rust. Is that a common issue here? Is body work expensive in the DR?

Thanks for the info!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Toyota, Toyota, Toyota. Labor is generally inexpensive in the DR. Had a 94 Toyota Corolla that we bought from a "reputable" used car lot in Moca. Turned out the car had been wrecked many times (once by me) and really was two cars that were pieced together. It had even been rolled over a time or two. We drove it and drove it without a single major problem. One week before we were to sell it to my wife's sister the motor gave out. We bought and installed a new used engine for about $600 USD and sold it to sis who is still driving and loves the car. She keeps it up better than we did and it looks great. Wife talked me into a Ford Explorer and its like owning a boat as far as $ goes. Did I say buy a Toyota?

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Check out Supercarros.com that will give you a ball park figure but 150,000 not going to get you something really good here My 2000 basic Tacoma no power windows or central locking but in great shape cost 400,000 4 years ago but I could probabally sell it for 300-325 now if wanted. Best vehicle for this country IMHO 4 cylinder is economic and still has power not to mention I can go anywhere in it. I had a Honda Civic here as well and it was great parts where easy to find but with the roads in the country my truck rules !!! Check out Supercarros vehicles here are exspensive !

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I know Toyota's best here but they seems to have premium of RD$100k+ because it's Toyota. I've been looking for decent one under 400k but I feel I can do much better from other brand with that price. I've looked at Ford Escape the other day. What's the census on Ford Escape here?

95civhb

Jan 25, 2012
Are Honda's easy to source parts for? Mechanics are familiar with them? Truth told, after having driving a Honda for the last 7 years, I'm fairly familiar with them.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Are Honda's easy to source parts for? Mechanics are familiar with them? Truth told, after having driving a Honda for the last 7 years, I'm fairly familiar with them.

Usually every Honda I see in front of me is "Much lower to the ground" then Toyota.

The "speed bumps" are a bigger problem here with "Honda".

When a Honda is in front of me and a speed bump is coming up,
I know the Honda driver will be taking most of the road (On an angle) to get across the speed bump,
and at a much lower speed.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Honda is popular here but I have to agree with SantiagoDR low to the ground ! I know when I had my 200 Civic I had to be careful over speed bumps and ditches. I also belive in you get what you pay for as one of my Dominican buddy would say Un Carro cuesta 150,000 peso es 150,000 problemos !

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Guys have to stop thinking this is the good ol USA where you can get good used cars for low prices its just not like that here. Cars that would cost 3-5 grand in america cost 6-15 grand here.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have had a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero for two years now. Unlike JDJones I see lots of others on the road and I find most mechanics know them well and parts are readily available. Apart from a new head gasket and skimmed head, no major problems so far. Basic maintenance like changing spark plugs can be difficult - you seem to have to remove half the engine to get at them!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I am starting to see a lot of real JEEPS here and also Fords, are they standing up well and are the service and parts an issue??

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The Ford Explorer is a popular vehicle, and the prices are not bad. On top of that, the Ford dealer has a deal going with some of the local banks to give lower financing. At the moment it stands at 10%.

And how is the reliability, servicability aspects, parts etc.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The jeepetas are fairly popular here. They hold up pretty well, but frequently develop front suspension problems.

Cars you don't see much.
I have a 2002 Montero and yes....front suspension problems....actually I like the vehicle for the looks and space etc, but I dislike it for the problems it brings. Mine is suffering transmission problems as well. I will never buy a Mitsubishi Montero again