Mountain road from Puerto Plata to Santiago

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what the current state of the mountain road from Puerto Plata to Santiago is like?

Haven't driven that route for a couple of years but will be doing so next weekend. Last time I drove that way parts of the road were in terrible condition but they were working on fixing it, so just wondering whether the work was ever completed?

Thanks!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what the current state of the mountain road from Puerto Plata to Santiago is like?

Haven't driven that route for a couple of years but will be doing so next weekend. Last time I drove that way parts of the road were in terrible condition but they were working on fixing it, so just wondering whether the work was ever completed?

Thanks!
You must mean the Turistica. If so, I also would like to know.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would not recommend it yet. From Santiago to La Cumbre it is pretty fair, nothing really outta sight. I have not heard anything to suggest that the part from POP to La Cumbre has been fixed.

Try it and report back...I did it over a year ago after a visit to ROcky...just to see how bad it was and it was bad..

HB

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011
I traveled this road about a week ago, it was in great state of disrepair!!! Not far from la cumbre on your way to pop there's a huge sink hole in the middle of the road. Anyone taking this road should use extreme caution, especially at night!!!!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I traveled this road about a week ago, it was in great state of disrepair!!! Not far from la cumbre on your way to pop there's a huge sink hole in the middle of the road. Anyone taking this road should use extreme caution, especially at night!!!!
Thanks. At least it's open. I'll be going to Santiago in a few days. You're right. I wouldn't travel that at night, not even "armed"

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Dominican citizens should crack the whip on Danilo and get that road repaired......it would create jobs

It has been repaired many times. I recall a few years ago major work was done on the road in an effort to keep the road from washing out during periods of heavy rain.

It isn't lack of past effort that is the problem, it is the nature of the terrain. If it isn't rock slides, it is wash outs.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Dont worry, I think I read on another thread that according to the Fernandez PLD Master Plan, the subway will arrive to connect PP to STI via the mountain road. It will provide high paying jobs for thousands of Dominicans. Hundreds of pictures to follow.

Oops, I though this was the clown bin.

Tim Hall

Mar 30, 2009
Hi everyone

Thanks!

We actually live on this road and have been operating an ecolodge here (Tubagua Plantation Eco Village near Puerto Plata - 19 kms from Puerto Plata) for the last four years. We've also been building a community organization incubated by JICA (Japanese Int'l Cooperation Agency) to develop rural tourism in Puerto Plata province. That said, it's easy to see why the condition of the road is paramount to us.

I'll first give our version of the condition of the road, then follow up with news about a few related developments.

The logical definition of "Good Condition" for this winding road (that cuts through mountains, is subject to landslides and runs over seismic faults) would be "the ability to transit comfortably at the legal speed limit of 50 kph." This is a secondary rural highway that twists and turns as it passes through many small communities where people virtually "live on the street." It's not a speedway, not at the best of times or conditions.

So let's recognize it for what it is: a 45-km amazingly scenic mountain road that calls for an unhurried, relaxing, 60 minutes to cross - a pleasant alternative to the truck-laden main highway that goes through Navarrete.

1- The "turistica" runs 30 kms from Gran Parada Junction (where it meets north coast Hwy 5) to its highest point at the provincial border, La Cumbre, before heading down about 10 kms to Gurabo where it levels off and leads into Santiago, another 5 kms.

2- Working north from Edificio Hache in Santiago, the first 20 kms (to the Pedro Garcia junction) have been repaved and a lot of the runoff ditches re-built. There is a section of about 100 meters near Pedro Garcia that is slightly washboard, awaiting final paving.

3- The second 25 kms from P-Garcia to Gran Parada has about 30 washboard stretches of 10 meters to 150 meters in length, and maybe 100 standalone potholes; most are small, non treacherous, but you have to keep an eye open.

4- The worst part of the road is the approach to the Gran Parada junction; about 50% of a 2-km stretch suffers from washouts and is markedly uncomfortable, you have to drive at about 15- to 20 kph.

5- There used to be four places along the road (two near Pedro Garcia and two near Gran Parada) where total erosion had reduced the road to one lane alongside a precipice?scary! Three of them are now fully repaired, buffered with gabionage, awaiting final pavement. There is one such spot left to do, between Camu and Tubagua.

So our "official" road report is: approximately 10% of this 45-km road is washboard where your speed is reduced to 15-20 kph. Watch out for scattered potholes at all times. Lack of lighting and many curves makes it unadvisable for nighttime driving if you're unfamiliar with the road. Take your time along this route and enjoy one of the prettiest drives the Dominican Republic has to offer.

Our community organization has recently installed signage and published a Route Guide that you can download free at Ruta Panor?mica Puerto Plata - Santiago. The guide is associated and sequential road signs installed every two kilometers together enable sightseers to locate places of interest as they drive the road. Check out the guide, it's interesting...

Behind the scenes we have been lobbying hard for attention to the highway. We like to think our efforts have indeed contributed to the slow-but-sure repairs that have been taking place.

Our position is that all this highway really needs is 1- preserve the good parts by plugging the the small potholes that appear after every rainy season; 2- conduct maintenance on the unstable parts every 4 months to control washboard; 3- clean out the plugged runoff gutters that already exist along most of the highway. By doing only these things the highway can maintain "Good Condition" status as described above.

Problem is, the local municipalities don't control the money. This road falls under the centralized gov't dept of Public Works, where the engineers are not interested in piddling annual maintenance budgets rather justifications for major projects where millions of dollars flow. So now we have Public Works "experts" saying in the media that the only solution is to forge an entirely new highway - that will cost a billion dollars. Fact is, the cost of cutting just one kilometer of new road - through the same unstable mountains - is enough to cover the cost of plugging 100 potholes and smoothing out 5 kilometers of washboard for several years. Maintenance: what a clever concept!

So our community organization is working on a study of the highway with the intent to publish an annual maintenance proposal that would refute the Public Works big-budget experts' opinions and provide our two local township mayors with with a lobbying resource to get funding administered locally in order to keep the road at a regular level of Good Condition.

It's been an interesting challenge, there's been some significant progress, we don't how fast and how soon we will get things into balance. The cynics will surely have interesting input.

As we work on this, you can help by taking a moment to download the Route Guide at Ruta Panor?mica Puerto Plata - Santiago and plan for a pleasant hour's trip over our scenic road. Take time to stop at the amazing plant nurseries, indulge in a cholesterol attack at a chicharron stand, stop for organically grown fruits sold roadside, pick up some same-day fresh local yogurt or queso de hoja, go for a swim at La Tina de Yasica, and best of all now that you're rolling at only 20 miles per hour, enjoy the ultimate forbidden fruit: a cold Presidente to sip as you tool a long the the "turistica"...

Who knows, this road just might become, as it has for us, your all-time favorite countryside drive in the Dominican Republic!

Best,

Tim Hall

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Great info Mr. Hall! IMO, During daytime driving, this road is far safer that being near those unsafe trucks on the main road.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Last time we tried that road from the Sosua end, the first mile was so horrific we just turned around. Has it been improved?

Jepols

Jun 18, 2012
Thank You Tim,
I know you do a lot for tourism, keep the good work going. And thank you for the detailed explanation of the road.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Last time we tried that road from the Sosua end, the first mile was so horrific we just turned around. Has it been improved?
Did it Saturday. Quite a few rough spots but overall not bad considering the time you save. Jeepeta of course, would not recomment doing it by car.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
Thank you Tim...both for your report and for your accurate explanation of what this road is about.
It has always been my favorite road to Santiago (from Sosua)....I take it easy and always find it is a relaxing drive.
The main problem with driving this road (other then the few death defying precipices that you mentioned) is you have to pay attention to your driving so you can't really enjoy the incredible scenery.
I am delighted to learn that you and your organization are bestowing love onto this road. Thank you!

vikterincredible

Feb 8, 2012
Drove 30% through the road in a 2x4 SUV two days ago, as long as you don't go highway speeds you will be fine. Keep alert, many motorcycles and trucks travel on this road. This road has many great views, and the locals that live alongside the road are very friendly. I stopped at a local colmado for a beer, bought a jumbo sized presidente and shared it with the owners outside.
In all, this is my favorite country road.