Another American Fat (Fast) Food Joint!!!

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Ok we all know that Johnny Rockets just recently opened in Santo Domingo with another four or five more on the way in others parts of the DR. Now just a month after opening Johnny's we have yet another American food joint in town. DENNY'S just opened in the Upper Food Court of Las americas airport. Were will it end!?! Can it be after someone opens a Five Guys Burger joint? Like we need more burgers in SD!

Can someone also answer why the upper food court is American Fast Food and the lower level Food Court is local Fast Food shops?

PLUS they've opened a MacDonalds in the airport too. Would be nice if they improved the level of security as they are busy making the place look pretty.

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011
Denny's is great, love the breakfast. Sure hope this one comes to Santiago. it would be a nice option for breakfast.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Ok we all know that Johnny Rockets just recently opened in Santo Domingo with another four or five more on the way in others parts of the DR. Now just a month after opening Johnny's we have yet another American food joint in town. DENNY'S just opened in the Upper Food Court of Las americas airport. Were will it end!?! Can it be after someone opens a Five Guys Burger joint? Like we need more burgers in SD!

Can someone also answer why the upper food court is American Fast Food and the lower level Food Court is local Fast Food shops?

PLUS they've opened a MacDonalds in the airport too. Would be nice if they improved the level of security as they are busy making the place look pretty.

Is this going to turn into another thread where people whine about all the american chains opening up in DR? I don't get it.
When Johnny Rockets, Dennys or PF Changs open, does that mean a place that sells mangu, mofongo and chuletas has to close? Even if it did. . . .are there not enough dominican restaurants in the country?

Choice is good. I'd love to see an ihop in DR. Ate at one in Mexico city a few times last week. The place is packed all day.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Americans are mostly in the departure area (upstairs) and Dominicans on the arrivals area (downstairs). Put the fast food joints where they will be appreciated the most! Plus, if you park downstairs and take the escalators up you can get fat American-style! Yummy!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I went to a Dominican restaurant in NYC and asked for scramble eggs. They game me fried eggs!!! hahahaha

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
you mean to tell me that Dominicans cannot make an American breakfast? why is that?

Their fried eggs/sunny-side-up eggs are deep fried and come out like rubber. It took me forever to teach our housekeeper to make them - finally bought a can of Pam and forbade her to use frying oil. Took another month for her to learn how to make them without the slimy stuff.

Omelets - not normally served.

Toasters are not in most Dominican kitchens.

Pancakes are also deep fried, not fluffy. Ditto hash browns, greaser than you can imagine.

Oatmeal can be okay, depending.

It all boils down to the fact that they don't eat the foods that Americans do for breakfast. Europeans either, for that matter. My dad [Brooklyn born Italian] never ate an "American" breakfast in his 80 years. He usually ate corn bread and coffee.

Mr. AE grew up in Santo Domingo with a cup of hot chocolate and bread for breakfast.

I wonder if Denny's will have "American" baked goods - I would go there just to get a good New York style bagel once in awhile!

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
Oh nooooo, say it ain't so!!!

Surely they must have Denny's traditional breakfast as well???

I brought home a menu and it made my mouth water. I hope the food comes out as good as it looks in the pictures on the menu. The family and I will go on Saturday on our way to the beach. Will let you all know if the food is any good. Even though it's "traditional American Breakfast" fact of the matter is it's Dominicans cooking it so it might be their methods of cooking....scrambled=Fried!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Their fried eggs/sunny-side-up eggs are deep fried and come out like rubber. It took me forever to teach our housekeeper to make them - finally bought a can of Pam and forbade her to use frying oil. Took another month for her to learn how to make them without the slimy stuff.

Pancakes are also deep fried, not fluffy. Ditto hash browns, greaser than you can imagine.

It all boils down to the fact that they don't eat the foods that Americans do for breakfast. Europeans either, for that matter. My dad [Brooklyn born Italian] never ate an "American" breakfast in his 80 years. He usually ate corn bread and coffee.

Mr. AE grew up in Santo Domingo with a cup of hot chocolate and bread for breakfast.

I wonder if Denny's will have "American" baked goods - I would go there just to get a good New York style bagel once in awhile!

you have good points there. the other thing is that people here have a hard time following instructions. tell them to fry the bacon easy, they serve you charcoal. tell them eggs over easy, and explain it, they serve bricks with the shrivelled, rubbery edges. why do they believe that you need a quart of oil to fry 2 eggs_?

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
Not thrilled about all the fast food that has opened in the Capital, but a 5 Guys would be great! Best burgers IMO..

Aceleron

Aug 9, 2011

I don't necessarily agree with you on many points, I've had great breakfast here in Santiago, and in some places in SDQ as well. Could it be that your housekeeper being of a poor background is or was unfamiliar with your type of breakfast?

Chances are if you have someone acting as housekeeper and all this poor person knows is how to cook without seasoning, the best you could expect from her is mediocre food each and every time. This however, does not mean everyone cooks in such a way. It just means that this poor person (your housekeeper) was taught this way.

My wife (although Dominican) makes great pancakes and omlets!!! Finger licking good even!!!