Anyone ever received a USPS parcel in DR? Please share your experience?

Andrey Prokhorov

Jun 7, 2012
www.airbnb.com
A friend of mine sent USPS mail from Chicago to Sosua.
USPS tracking by the tracking number on their web always ends in Miami.
Who ever received USPS parcel in DR, please share your experience?
How long does it usually takes for the parcel to come to the endpoint from the day of dispatching?
Does they deliver it to your home in DR or you have to pick it up?
Where the post office is if USPS had been sent to Sosua? (the post office is in Sosua or in Puerto Plata?)

Is there anybody happy on this forum who succeed to get USPS sent from US???

Zulu

May 27, 2012
They come to your address with a slip or note that your parcel has arrived and you would then have to take a trip to the post office where your subjected to customs if the parcel contains anything they can tax you on. Take your I.D or passport with you they will either send you to photocopy it then they will start the procedure of searching your cargo, simply sign some papers that you received the shipment in good condition as well as all items intact then your free to go. By the way there is a small fee for shipping and Handling depending on the size of the equipment

Reactions: Olivervaldez

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Forwarding Services

Get a Miami address with one of the forwarding services (CPS, MBE, EPS, etc.) and you will receive your parcels much more securely at their local offices (I am sure there is one in Sos?a also.).
You pay approx. 5 $/ lb. which is worth it.

donP

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I use Vimenca locally; office in the Western Union building in Sosua adjacent to the beachway. You can sign up at Transexpress.com for an account (costs nothing), they give you a Miami address and courier it over to Santo Domingo and then it comes to Sosua. You get an email for each step of the process and then go and pick it up, showing your passport. Outside of Sosua, i.e., Santiago and Santo Domingo they deliver to your home, not Sosua. I have a credit card on file so they automatically take it out of that so I don't have to pay when I pick the parcel up. The price per pound goes lower as the weight or dimensions go higher. The minimum is $12.

jeviduty

Jul 1, 2011
I would not worry if I were you. Mail usually takes just over a week for mail coming from the US to Santo Domingo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I sent a USPS Priority Mail package to a DR1er in Sosua, and it arrived in about two weeks. Sent another to Santo Domingo, and it was even faster.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive received USPS mail in Cabarete...delivered to my door...about 10 days after it left New York. Same person sent me mail a few weeks later, never showed up...that was about 3 months ago.

Andrey Prokhorov

Jun 7, 2012
www.airbnb.com
What was the time between sending and reception?

They come to your address with a slip or note that your parcel has arrived and you would then have to take a trip to the post office where your subjected to customs if the parcel contains anything they can tax you on. Take your I.D or passport with you they will either send you to photocopy it then they will start the procedure of searching your cargo, simply sign some papers that you received the shipment in good condition as well as all items intact then your free to go. By the way there is a small fee for shipping and Handling depending on the size of the equipment

Thank you.

1/ What was the time between USPS had been sent from US and you received it in DR?
2/ To what postal service USPS transforms in DR?
(I visited 3 of them in Sosua: UPS, DHL, EMS (and National post) They told no one ever received USPS in their office.)

Andrey Prokhorov

Jun 7, 2012
www.airbnb.com
Get a Miami address with one of the forwarding services (CPS, MBE, EPS, etc.) and you will receive your parcels much more securely at their local offices (I am sure there is one in Sos?a also.).

You pay approx. 5 $/ lb. which is worth it.

donP

Thank you.

before I discovered it I sent around 5 parcels via USPS from US to DR. Time is more than 1 month - still no traces of them. Customer service newer answer the direct questions (they do not answer with which of the Dominican postal services they are connected). Tracking always ends in Miami customs facilities.

That's just interested me: what is the percentage of lost/delivered via USPS to DR? I am writing the article on this subject.

Andrey Prokhorov

Jun 7, 2012
www.airbnb.com
I use Vimenca locally; office in the Western Union building in Sosua adjacent to the beachway. You can sign up at Transexpress.com for an account (costs nothing), they give you a Miami address and courier it over to Santo Domingo and then it comes to Sosua. You get an email for each step of the process and then go and pick it up, showing your passport. Outside of Sosua, i.e., Santiago and Santo Domingo they deliver to your home, not Sosua. I have a credit card on file so they automatically take it out of that so I don't have to pay when I pick the parcel up. The price per pound goes lower as the weight or dimensions go higher. The minimum is $12.

OK. Thank you.

The question is not about the alternative services, but about does USPS do it's work here or just drop it out of the US border and forget it.

Andrey Prokhorov

Jun 7, 2012
www.airbnb.com
I would not worry if I were you. Mail usually takes just over a week for mail coming from the US to Santo Domingo.

I do not think so. I have 5 examples since 2011-2012. Not delivered.
Always ends like this:

CP591634313US
Priority Mail International Parcels

Processed Through Sort Facility
May 24, 2012, 10:04 am
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
International Parcels

Arrived at Sort Facility
May 24, 2012, 10:02 am
ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)

Processed at USPS Origin Sort Facility
May 18, 2012, 2:36 am
CHICAGO, IL 60688

Acceptance
May 17, 2012, 10:00 am
SKOKIE, IL 60077

Andrey Prokhorov

Jun 7, 2012
www.airbnb.com
Ive received USPS mail in Cabarete...delivered to my door...about 10 days after it left New York. Same person sent me mail a few weeks later, never showed up...that was about 3 months ago.

Thank you. Can you tell me with what postal service it was delivered in Cabarete?

Had you been able to trace it to your door or to US border only?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I sent a book from USPS in NY to Santo Domingo, took one week. Same thing doesn't seem to exist in any consistent form on the North Coast.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thank you. Can you tell me with what postal service it was delivered in Cabarete?

Had you been able to trace it to your door or to US border only?

The DR has a National postal service - like USPS. It's called INPOSDOM. The offices look more or less like USPS offices, and are located in the larger cities. They receive the mail from USPS and deliver to your door in the DR, assuming you have an address they understand. The problem is, the mail sometimes seems to get "lost" once it arrives in the DR, and there's no way to track/find it.

I get USPS mail by picking it up at my local post office in Santo Domingo. They call me when something arrives or tell me when I walk by. However I have had much better luck sending stuff OUT than getting stuff sent here. Takes between 10 days-Never. If it is something important incoming I ask that the sender use EPS. For OUTGOING, for example, I have friends who sell jewelry on Ebay and they trust the postal service to ship using USPS tracking number.

SultanofSwing

Jun 22, 2012
I think it will just take time to receive your package. I had a Christmas card sent to me one year and I received it in July of the next year. Quite a long time, but I did eventually get it. Good luck.