Seeking Canadians in the DR

M

Monique

I am seeking Canadians who have moved to the DR. Obviously I am a Canadian who would like to move to this beautiful country. Of course I have a few questions to ask. I would appreciate if you would answer me directly to my e-mail. Thank you for taking the time to read my request. Hasta luego Monique

H

hillbilly

Anything to get out of Canada?? funny, isn't it?

There are lots of Canucks here. Quebequois, Ottowans(?) and others. Even Vancouverites!!

the funny part is that lots of Dominicans are looking at Canada as the Promised Land, and will do anything to get there!!

HB

J

Joachim

Re: Anything to get out of Canada?? funny, isn't i

Wait until they feel the cold in January-May. Dancing bachata will not warm their bones.

P

Phyllis

For those in the DR that are very poor, have no education, no job opportunities, no welfare system, no medical sytem that's worth anything; Canada is "The Promise Land".

Us in Canada that generally have all of the above, but are not happy with the people, culture and terrible weather think that the DR is "The Promise Land".

J

Joachim

Even with education, how will you support yourself? There are very little jobs, poor education and medical systems.

Unless you are rich, well connected, it will be very hard to survive.

H

hlywud

What some think

I AM CANADIAN

Hey...
I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo, or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
it may be cold in winter but it's hot in summer
were I live -20C in January +36 C in July and this is south of Detroit and further south than San Francisco
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
we have over 60 brands of beer
and more brands of other adult beverages
and we can drink the water
I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English & French, NOT American.
and I pronounce it 'ABOUT', NOT 'A BOOT'.
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.
A TOQUE IS A HAT, A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUNCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!!!
CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS! there are 25 million of us
some along way apart some live close together
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY! AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!
MY NAME IS Wud!! AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!! "EH" and proud of it

H

hlywud

I would love to live in the DR for 4 to 5 months of the year and have avidly looked into it. But overinflated housing cost to live comparably preclude this decision. A home similar to mine in the DR goes for a cool half million US that is over 750,000 cdn. No way Jose, I guess I'll just have to be satified and be a tourist.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: And the Vancouver Grizzlies are going,going!!

Not only are Canadians leaving Canada for warmer weather, but so are their real sports teams(Is hockey a sport?). Memphis has now stolen the Vancouver Grizzlies, who froze to death on the Basketball courts in Vancouver.

It is only a matter of time before the Montreal Expos and the Toronto Blue Jays kiss Canada goobye. In fact, they are now looking and Major League Baseball wants their teams out of those cities before they go broke. So much for world class. Hey Commissioner! Listen up, we got a city with 3.5 Million people many of whom can easily afford the expensive houses some of our friends in these postings cannot afford, and they can buy tickets to the games like one peso bread. Bring the Expos to Santo Domingo. We may have lots of garbage, and lots of blackouts, but we sure got money to burn.

By the way, can anyone venture to tell me the ratio of Dominicans in Canada and Canadians in Dominican Rep. percentage wise in ratio to population and space? Or could that be too embarrassing?

P

Phyllis

I've heard that there are almost a million Dominicans in just the Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal areas... foresure not a million Canadians living in the DR.

P

Phyllis

I don't agree Joachim, I could live just fine having a simple job that pays RD 20,000 a year, in a small simple house, don't need anymore education and I've heard that the dentists/doctors are okay for what I would need... having more money in Canada, but all the stress, crummy weather and cold people; doesn't messure up to DR lifestyle.

J

Joachim

Are you trying to tell me that at an exchange rate of $10.16 pesos per Canadian dollar you would be happy earning $2,000 CND a year. Give me a break. I lived there for 2 years, things are very expensive, telephone, electricty, food, basic items. Shampoo Pentene Pro-V $8.99 CND.

Try to live on that salary. You will be back home in no time.

Why do you think that so many Dominicans want to come here?

A

azb

wrong! check your source again please.

To phyllis,
According to the census, the whole population of canada is about 28-29 millions total.You are telling me that out of all that, there are over 1 million dominicans living in canada? 1 out of every 28 persons is a dominican? How insane.... i had never met so many dominicans in canada or in any country of europe in recent times.
Please, if you don't have accurate information, don't bother making up the number to further confuse the readers on this board.
I seriously doubt if there are more than 20 thousand dominicans living in canada at any given moment.
Have a nice day.

S

SCARAMOOCH

Phillys you counting the skimmos, I know they look like Dominicans, New York can't hold any more, so the next port -of call is Canada.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

RE:Are you confusing the US with Canada? *DC*

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: And the Toronto Raptors are going,going!!

I have just heard that besides the Montreal Expos, The Toronto Blue Jays and The Vancouver Grizzlies paking their bags for other World Class Cities that can support professional teams, the latest victim is the Toronto Raptors!

It is no secret that the only thing keeping the Raptors in Toronto is the owner of the city Sir Vince Carter, who along with Carlos Delgado, a Puerto Rican, is keeping a rather boring situation alive. With his Airness Vince ready to pack up his bags unless Toronto can tax everybody in the city $120 dollars per citizen extra to keep him there, the Raptors are going, going....

By the way, watch out for Dominicans, if according to Phyllis we are 4% of the population in Canada we may just ask for our own territory with our own flag. By the way, are birth certificates required for enrollment in public schools in Canada?

L

Larry

Well perhaps all these teams can move to the DR! This post really shows your ignorance if you really think the Blue Jays or Raptors are going anywhere. Are you trying to get Canadians riled up or are you really that stupid?

J

John

maybe the blue jays ever since the players strike they haven't got the same crowds.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

No I am not stupid, I am a leaf head like you. You seem to be the one who is not keeping your ears to the ground. Check the news, the Raptors are a losing franchise. Hardly any fans go there even with Vince Carter plays. When he leaves, so does the franchise. Vince Carter owns Toronto. As for the expos, they have been going broke for years and get saved by the bell because they always find a Dominican player to save their ass. If Vladimir Guerrero leaves Montreal the expos could not even play in the Winter League of the Dominican Republic. Only a face saving maneuver by Major League Baseball can save at least one team for Canada.

L

Larry

No they don't, but the same can be said for alot of the other major league teams. But there has never been any talk abut them moving elsewhere. Or perhaps TW has made an offer for them that he isn't telling us about.