Dutch Woman Murdered

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
All the time? .............now there`s a happy thought

I think the reason foreigners get killed is because of the local culture. Foreigners are accepted into it and exploited or bonded with. Foreigners in the DR are part of society. The island is full of foreigners. Of course, if locals and foreigners are mixed together, they will share the murdered rate.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Everything you say is either common sense and obvious or utter bollox, I have no idea how you manage to command such authority on these things, but it is unique, I'll give you that.

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
No other details? Got to be nervewracking to live in the DR full time, always looking over your shoulder, as the silly DR cops ain't gonna come to your rescue...

Mister J

May 21, 2012
The details, according to what I read: They had and intimate relationship...she's was 55 and he's 20

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Details

The details, according to what I read: They had and intimate relationship...she's was 55 and he's 20

Good enough for a motive?? :tired:

There are other details which reveal a more likely motive.

donP

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In a lot of other countries it's mostly the locals that get killed but in the DR even foreigners getting murdered all the time.

What do you mean "all the time"?

Our ghoul, DonP, posts the murder of a foreigner once in a while, but I have never gotten the feeling that this was a daily occurrence or that I was in danger.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

I wonder if this is true. According to dutch newssites the woman was here since two months after the very recent death of her husband. She stayed in the house of a friend to recover from her recent loss. She would go back next month.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It is reported that the murder suspect is the grandson of the victim's landlady.

donP

_________________________________________________-
Disclaimer:
These things can happen everywhere...
Encuentran cuerpo de una mujer sin cabeza ni manos ~ DEMAOSOY.COM / SOYDEMAO.COM

Reading a little bit more on dutch news sites it appears actually to be true that the main suspect is her boyfriend. The woman left Holland after her husband committed suicide last year, the suspect is indeed her boyfriend. Her children claim not to have any idea what can be the motive, but they know their mother was a very nice and hospitable lady and they 'know', according to them that the region near Puerto Plata is not the best place to be like that (?!).

Besides that they claim that the Dominican government is not doing anything and will probably cover everything up, while this country is as corrupt as you can get it. They also want to have their mother's body moved to Holland, but dont have the money for it, and their mother didn't have a travel insurance. The woman is already buried here.

All this information is shared by the family in a dutch news program so I guess I can feel free to post it here.

Weird story.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I wonder if this is true. According to dutch newssites the woman was here since two months after the very recent death of her husband. She stayed in the house of a friend to recover from her recent loss. She would go back next month.

Sad story.
Google translation.
Raamsdonksveer - Daniel Cooks (37) and Mariska van der Vorst (32) from Raamsdonksveer sitting in sackcloth and ashes. First stepfather commits suicide and then mother Marion murdered in the Dominican Republic. They want the body of the mother of Daniel's return to the Netherlands. But they can not afford.

The mother, Marion Marino, went headlong to the Dominican Republic after her husband had committed suicide. She wanted to break from the misery she had witnessed.

The 55-year-old woman was found murdered in a ditch. Her boyfriend is now in the Dominican Republic on suspicion of murdering the woman.

Youtube movie
Son Daniel was informed of the murder of his mother through a newspaper and a video on youtube. "Just horrible. Really terrible," said Daniel struck. He has the picture of him and his mother in the room with a few bunches of flowers in there. "You just do not expect that if your mother is resting in the Caribbean, that she was murdered."

Insurance
Her body was buried in a temporary cemetery. Son Daniel and his girlfriend Mariska like her at all costs to the Netherlands and her buried here. But they have the money. Mother Marion was very emotional when she left in a hurry and forgot to take a travel insurance.

Too expensive
The returning of the body, costs 6500 euros. That amount, the couple does not. They just spent all their savings to the rebuilding of their homes, unaware of the tragedy that awaited them.

When asked if it is not their own fault, Mariska answer. "I understand that people are stupid that Marion no travel insurance, but it will be your mother but his. That murdered is found in a distant land. We are now at great expense. That 6500 euro is just transportation. Then the funeral in the Netherlands. "

Wilders
The couple calls on the government. But who would not pay that amount. "They really let you in the lurch", says Mariska. They are in touch with Geert Wilders. "No idea what this can do for us, but there must be somewhere an emergency fund for these unique situations," says Mariska.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs knows the story of Daniel and Mariska, but they mean nothing.

Omroep Brabant: Problemen met terugkeer dode moeder uit Dominicaanse Republiek

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Deep Sand

I would be interested in seeing the statistics that support that claim.

What a ghoulish interest!

The latest government statistics which give the nationalities of victims is of August 2009 (!) and is for that month only.
The last year summary (of 2008) has not been available online for some time...

Private statistics* (of bloggers) count 17 murders of foreigners in less than 36 months.
And I know there are some cases missing ...

But of course, this translates to a very low percentage of the some 2,500 violent deaths (in 2011, reported by PN) in the country per year.

However deep one buries his/her head in the sand, the DR is a very dangerous place to be.
So are others. :classic:

So, all is good.

donP

*)
not mine