Dominican-made tablet

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Has anyone tried out the Dominican-made tablet?

Gtop

There are two versions --
GTOP X7 HD with a 7" screen and 400 grams weight

GTOP X9 HD with 9.7" screen and 680 grams weight.

Both use Android system, and have slots for USB, HDMI and MINI SD, Wi Fi, and a camara.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Are you sure it is Dominican made? Or is it just another Chinese private labelled tablet?

The case with keyboard they show on the web site is the same one I got for my Zepad for $18 US.
Similar specs for the Zepad but the Zepad costs about $100 less for the 10 inch version.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Huh? I love it here, why would I go home... Sun/Sand/Beer/more sun/great weather/good Dominican friends.. just don't expect the locals to build high tech products.. Yes I know there are few exceptions..

Is it really made in the DR? At what factory?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If it was really "Made in The DR" Pichardo would have posted a thousand pictures of the factory.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Can you imagine the production line to assemble tablets, I've returned Big Macs that were assembled incorrectly, intelligence and wires would warrant more returns than sales.:bunny:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Here is what it would take to manufacture tablet computers

Can you imagine the production line to assemble tablets, I've returned Big Macs that were assembled incorrectly, intelligence and wires would warrant more returns than sales.:bunny:

You mean they don't have this here in the DR? Here is what it takes:

[video=youtube;mTe54BivXpg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTe54BivXpg[/video]

We would have seen those thousands of pictures if such a factory did exist.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The manufacturing process is simple by manufacturing standards and something that could be easily done in The DR. The design on the other hand is a whole different matter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The manufacturing process is simple by manufacturing standards and something that could be easily done in The DR. The design on the other hand is a whole different matter.

True. The manufacturing process requires a company to reliably produce printed circuit boards and cases, pick and place machines for the components, solder re-flow machines to attach the components, clean rooms to assemble the displays, assembly lines for final assembly, environmental chambers to shake, bake and perform humidity checks, software development for testing the products and then a packaging area for shipment. Not to mention a procurement department that does not make a mistake in ordering the hundreds of items used in the assembly from the circuit board, to the cases, resistors, capacitors, semiconductors and displays. Simple! At least in comparison to the design of the hardware and software that runs the tablet.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
True. The manufacturing process requires a company to reliably produce printed circuit boards and cases, pick and place machines for the components, solder re-flow machines to attach the components, clean rooms to assemble the displays, assembly lines for final assembly, environmental chambers to shake, bake and perform humidity checks, software development for testing the products and then a packaging area for shipment. Not to mention a procurement department that does not make a mistake in ordering the hundreds of items used in the assembly from the circuit board, to the cases, resistors, capacitors, semiconductors and displays. Simple! At least in comparison to the design of the hardware and software that runs the tablet.

Typically you don't make everything yourself...as a matter of fact hardly any company makes any of the components themselves nowadays. They get components from vendors and just assemble. You don't need any high technology to do that, just good supply chain management and good documentation and training for the minions who will be doing the assembly. For instance do you think Foxxcon is full of technologists? Nope. Just tons of assembly line workers putting the same chip in the same slot thousands of times a day as per his/her instruction sheet.

In terms of clean room, humidity controlled facilities, etc...I'm not 100% sure, but I believe such manufacturing already is done down there (i.e. medical devices, J&J, etc.) Procurement is the least of their issues. These are configured products. All procurement does is order whatever the BOM and the planning department is asking for. While The DR is not known for it's manufacturing or technology prowess this can definitely be done down there. Heck if Intel can produce tons of computer chips requiring the highest degree of accuracy and controls in Costa Rica then I'm certain a tablet can be assembled in The DR...Not saying this one was, but it could IMO.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have no doubt that it could be done here, but I have no doubt the device mentioned in the OP is not made here.

As for mounting the components onto the circuit boards, for surface mount components that is done by pick and place machines after the boards are screened with a solder paste. Then the soldering is done by another machine that heats the solder and then cools the boards down. Assembly of the major components is still done by hand and all of that could be done here if it was cost effective to do so. The fact that it has not been done yet indicates there are some issues with getting it done at a competitive price and I don't think those issues are going to be overcome. I suspect one issue would be just in time delivery of the various components.