School

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, do you think it would be wise to open a school, for children from 6 to 12 as education seems to be a problem in DR (probably mainly for expats). Would it be complicated? :)

Zulu

May 27, 2012
I would open a College that has the American Curriculum, and help people there to apply to American Universities. I think there is an International school already Carol Morgan and one in Santiago that teach in English what is lacking is a College what happens after year 12 because at PUCMM the classes are mostly done in Spanish depending on your major and besides not everyone want's to become a Doctor, Lawyer and etc some are interested in Psychology, Politics, Engineering and Social Sciences.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would open a College that has the American Curriculum, and help people there to apply to American Universities. I think there is an International school already Carol Morgan and one in Santiago that teach in English what is lacking is a College what happens after year 12 because at PUCMM the classes are mostly done in Spanish depending on your major and besides not everyone want's to become a Doctor, Lawyer and etc some are interested in Psychology, Politics, Engineering and Social Sciences.

All the above mentioned programs and more are available at PUCMM as well as several other universities. Yes they are done in Spanish.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The word college might mislead someone from the US. In the US, you attend college after you graduate from High School. It is similar to the meaning of the word university, normally differing in the size of the institution of higher learning with colleges being smaller than universities. Here the world collegio is equivalent to high school.

Opening a school that teaches from K through 12 with a US style curriculum could work here. Others can tell you how difficult it is. One example of something similar is the International School in Sosua, but I do not know how close they really are to US standards.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
ISS in Sosua is accredited and the kids go on to universities in the US without a problem. The school is geared to a US education and is all in English.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I believe that colegio is from 1st thru about 5th grade from there you get into segundario which fiinishes witha bacheretto or some similar name.
Der Fish

Colegio has nothing to do with the grade. My wife's school is a Colegio and goes from pre-kinder to Grade 8. If the school went to Grade 12 it would still be a colegio. Primary school is up to Grade 8, and secondary is Grade 9-12, just like in most of the USA and Canada.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Colegio usually refers to private school
Escuela usually refers to state school
Liceo is a state high school
Polit?cnico is a technical high school

Inicial is pre-school
B?sica is primary (grade school) 1st-5th grade
Media is middle school 6th-8th grade
You do your Pruebas Nacionales (national tests) at the end of 8th grade

Secundaria/Bachillerato is high school 9th-12th grade
9th grade - primero de bachillerato, 10th grade - segundo de bachillerato, 11th - tercero, 12th - cuarto.
Bachillerato is what is known in many parts of Europe as the Baccalaureate - the end of high school exams and certificate.
A bachiller is a high school student and/or graduate.

Aug 21, 2007
The word college might mislead someone from the US. In the US, you attend college after you graduate from High School. It is similar to the meaning of the word university, normally differing in the size of the institution of higher learning with colleges being smaller than universities. Here the world collegio is equivalent to high school.

Opening a school that teaches from K through 12 with a US style curriculum could work here. Others can tell you how difficult it is. One example of something similar is the International School in Sosua, but I do not know how close they really are to US standards.

ISS follows US standards. It is accredited by the corresponding agency in the US. It also teaches a US curriculum, which may or may not meet the desires of the parents enrolling a child, depending on their home country. Additionally, ISS graduates get BOTH a US degree and a Dominican diploma. That is helpful in gaining university admission in the US. And if you cannot make it there or prefer to attend in the DR, you can gain admittance here.

Now, I am not promoting ISS, rather I am relaying the credentials of the better international schools in the country. The OP did not indicate where he/she is from.

Whether such a school is needed depends on the location and the schools presently available.

Know, if you want to do it right, you MUST be a professional in international education. You should know how to apply for accreditation, which may take years to accomplish, and you should have sound financial backing.

On the other hand, if you are interested in providing online learning and have students from families with money, that is quite a bit easier to accomplish.

And, if you are simply interested in providing a first world education to children with no access, then go for it.

Lindsey