Claro ADSL2 modem router

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I currently have a Thomson TG 580 ADSL2 + Router and it does not allow me to change the DSN servers. (DSN servers are set at zero - followed instructions, but change panel does not show up).

Has anyone installed their own ADSL2 modem router not issued by Claro and get it to work?
I am looking for a replacement that I have full control over the settings and not be restricted by Claro.

In the past I have tried a Net Gear unit but it would constantly disconnect after a few minutes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
D in Santiago

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
change manually your DNS

You can change manually your DNS (at the computer level) Change TCP/IP settings simply keep Obtain an IP address automatically (point 4) and Use the following DNS server addresses (point 6) use Open Dns 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 or Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 etc...

Jan 17, 2009
Problem with non Claro issue routers is that you will need to get a user name and password to use PPPoE or PPPoA. I asked Claro technicians many times (they even recommended us to buy a good brand router) and even called their offices. No one knows of a user name and password for setting up the DSL. So without user name and password, no DSL connection from a non Claro router. Shame, because Thompson routers really suck.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
MpJuly:

I am aware of your solution.

The problem is not when using the computer, as I already have Firefox setup to use the DSN servers you listed.

Certain other hardware I have does not have an option to set the DSN servers and thus relies on the DSN settings in the Modem/Router or in this case, Claro. Their choice is not always a good choice, such as when using VOIP.

I can circumvent the problem by adding an additional router, such as a Linksys.
Just do not want to keep adding layers of equipment.

Expat-in-Cabarete:

As I have said, I had previously tried a NetGear ADSL Modem Router (Model DGN1000).
I know my Claro User/Password.

However, live and learn, I did not look up that unit before I bought it.
Many, many people, have complained of the same thing I mentioned, it drops the Internet line sporadically.

What unit was suggested to you?

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
a solution

Here I use a TP-LINK WA5110G connected to my cable router, I put my DNS on this device (WA5110G), and my devices connect to the WA5110G instead my cable router, and use the DNS that i entered in the WA5110G

cable router --->ethernet ---> WA5110G )))) wifi )))) my devices

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I actually could change my DNS settings in my Claro provided modem, it's not a Thompson though, it's a Cisco.

Jan 17, 2009
I had missed that. Would you care to share how you got your DSL username and password? We have been trying for three years and always get the same, don't know answer from Claro.

MpJuly:

I am aware of your solution.

The problem is not when using the computer, as I already have Firefox setup to use the DSN servers you listed.

Certain other hardware I have does not have an option to set the DSN servers and thus relies on the DSN settings in the Modem/Router or in this case, Claro. Their choice is not always a good choice, such as when using VOIP.

I can circumvent the problem by adding an additional router, such as a Linksys.
Just do not want to keep adding layers of equipment.

Expat-in-Cabarete:

As I have said, I had previously tried a NetGear ADSL Modem Router (Model DGN1000).
I know my Claro User/Password.

However, live and learn, I did not look up that unit before I bought it.
Many, many people, have complained of the same thing I mentioned, it drops the Internet line sporadically.

What unit was suggested to you?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I had missed that. Would you care to share how you got your DSL username and password? We have been trying for three years and always get the same, don't know answer from Claro.

I have had Claro (Verizon, Codetel) for maybe 10-11 years, back when I had a dial-up connection.

They gave it to me when I signed up for the dial-up connection.

Originally it was my real name (with a number suffix) and my phone number as the password, but I told them "NO", and told them what I wanted it to be. They changed it to what I wanted.

I would suggest you try your Claro E-mail Username and Password.
Things may have changed over the years for new users.

D in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Cisco DDR 2200. That's the modem they provided when adding Claro TV. After canceling that I stayed with the router (had to give back the set top box ofcourse).

Thanks

Claro loves old equipment.

Cisco announces the end-of-sale and end-of-life dates for the Cisco DDR2200, DDR2201, and WAG310G ADSL2+ Residential Gateways. The last day to order the affected product(s) is June 8, 2012.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Thanks

Claro loves old equipment.

hehehe...welll, I have had it for about 2 years now I think....it s the DDR2201 by the way. to get in the control panel I use admin admin, I had to search a lot to find where to change the DNS servers, but in the end found it, and could change it to use Unotelly and watch Netflix USA