apostille of my birth certificate

kn8807a

Jun 13, 2012
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I am a US citizen and married to a DR. We got married in DR. I am planning to move to DR asap because my husband and I just learned that we are expecting a baby soon. The problem is trying to get my birth Certificate apostille. I was born in Vietnam with a Vietnam birth certificate. I called the vietnam consular today and they stated to me that in order for me to get my Birth Certificate apostille, I will need to travel back to Vietnam and have this completed or have someone I know in Vietnam that I know do this for me and go to the embassy in Vietnam have it done, problem is I have no one in Vietnam.

Is there another way where I move to DR and have my birth certificate legalized another way? I remember when I got married in DR, my birth Certificate was legalized another way. Not sure why now the decision to move to DR with my husband is being so difficult.

Much help is needed here since now I am very worried, since I was told by the consular that this is the only way.

Jan 17, 2009
Are you a US citizen? Last year, while I was doing my residence papers, i was told that I could to it with an original copy of my naturalization certification and the apostille, and my US passport. I thought that was more complicated than going back to my country, getting a copy of my birth certificate, as I was planning a trip anyway. Ask a lawyer here. It may be the easiest option for you.

Jan 17, 2009
Only if your country is not a signatory of the Apostille Convention. Mine wasn't at the time, so I had it certified at the DR Consulate in my country (no translation necessary for me as mine because I'm from Uruguay). The US is a signatory. Vietnam isn't yet. In case of apostille, each country or state rep in the US has an office where you send your legal document to have the apostille attached.