3 cases of cholera confirmed in El Mamey

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
According to Guananico Cable news three case as now confirmed in El Mamey. !0-12 are under investigation accordint to the Hospital Director there. . Where are the public health officials? I have family there.

pm received now it is open, but any specualtion will be deleted.....be forwarned cholera is a deadly disease.

So do not mess this thread up with bull**** or else it will be deleted.....and bans will be issued immediately

"It was on the Guananico Cable TV news. What else can I say? I would not put in the post if it wasn't so. What I didn't say is that in the next town as well there is another case apparently. The Hospital Director in EL Mamey was interviewed and said they are testing another 10 -12 cases.

I think it is important "

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Rat Urine

Cholera, if treated quickly and correctly, is deadly in less than 1%.
In this country the death rate is higher due to the circumstances in public hospitals.
Van 26 muertos por el c?lera en 2012 - DiarioLibre.com

IMO, leptospirosis is more dangerous, it has a higher mortality rate.
The omnipresent trash is an eldorado for rats whose urine cause the desease.

donP

Last edited by a moderator:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I understand your concerns. and you are quite right . Now Dr Juan De Jesus Santos of the Hospital El Mamey ( Los Hildalgos) has confirmed 40 cases of Cholera as per Guananico Cable TV News.Naturally I am totally freaked out as I have a wife and 2 young children there and we need some help. The toilets from Bars in Navas run right into the GD river beside us . The next town and watershed ( 5 miles away) beside us has people sick from Cholera according to my wife .

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If people are reasonably civilised and reasonably intelligent then there is no need to be worried, cholera is not something unavoidable, just don't wash in the river and leave drinking out of toilet bowls to dogs. If people are aware then the only ones need get sick are those who are ignorant, or just don't care.
there has been several outbreaks and all have been small, not many lives have been claimed.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Treatable or avoidable, I'd be concerned if I had family there. Lots of online info. available on prevention, (WHO, UNICEF, CDC, etc.) Does your wife know what precautions she should take?