River hang out spot near Santo Domingo

Slickselebrity

Jan 8, 2010
Hello, good people. I am coming to Santo Domingo for a week or so with my travel buddy. This is an annual trip for us. On our first few trips we were dedicated to this site and have mined very valuable advice. Although I am convinced some of you have scared us out of a lot of potential fun with morbid warnings. Now with only few empty stamp pages left in our passport and the joy of hitting 31+ this year we want to complete a few things we never got around to. We usually drink limitless presidentes on the Conde, are the curb by the liquor store/metro station down a few blocks from the Courtyard Marriott, or at a gas station on the malecon, or at our favorite hole in the wall barbershop, but never at the river.

We have heard of a river spot where you can hang out, I guess a place where average people would go and picnic, however I imagine we will cram a cooler full of cold ones, and people watch. Fill me in, I know if anyone knows of such a spot they frequent this site.

THX

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
La Toma is nice, and has been years since going that direction.

Otherwise there are, to my knowledge at least 5 others with 20 - 40 minutes of SD, depending on which side you are on and which one you are going to.....But you said you heard of a river spot, which one did you hear about, what is it called see if we have been.....and remember what it was like.

g'luck

PS there are quite few spots, and some of those spots are all very safe, but 2 of them I remember it was very ill advised to move very far up or down river from the spot, because of depth, logs, stick mish mash and strong currents.

fatality happen, and not only to locals....

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
La Toma is nice, and has been years since going that direction.

Otherwise there are, to my knowledge at least 5 others with 20 - 40 minutes of SD, depending on which side you are on and which one you are going to.....But you said you heard of a river spot, which one did you hear about, what is it called see if we have been.....and remember what it was like.

g'luck

PS there are quite few spots, and some of those spots are all very safe, but 2 of them I remember it was very ill advised to move very far up or down river from the hang out spot, because of irregular depths, logs, sticks, mish mash and strong currents.

fatalities do happen, and not only to locals....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Could be Cafe del Rio, off the Plaza de la Marina, east side of the Ozama River, just off crossing the Puente Mella, also known as "puente de las bicicletas." Haven't been there, but have heard good comments about it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
When I read that River, my first thought was "RIVER+BEER = CHOLERA"

I really do not know of any of these places (except La Toma)...and would question swimming at any of them...People watching at a yacht club might be different...don't know...

HB