Flea control in DR

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Here in the US I use FrontLine Plus on my dog and it seems to work somewhat. being that in the DR there may be different types of fleas that are more resistant to these products (I know mosquitos are); what do dog owners use down there for flea and tick control? Cheers.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
My friend used to use a thing called Avermecton, (possible sp) for ticks and fleas and all sorts of other things. It avail at Judys pet lodge. She mixed it with milk once a month and the dog never had fleas or ticks and had a healthy coat.....

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
The Ivermectin is more for ticks and heartworm I believe. Judy also has another product especially for fleas that works wonders!! All of my dogs had them terribly and after just 2 treatments (with regular Ivermectin maintenance) the fleas were gone. Well worth the money, and it wasn't espensive, even with 4 dogs.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Fleas are not really the problem but ticks are and certainly after longer rain periods.
I use Ivermectin for the dogs against ticks and hartworm.
Only the Borde Colli gets Frontline as she is slightly allergic against the Ivermectine which is not a surprise.
None of my Austalian Shepherds are bothered with the Ivermectine however.

I give it subcutane so that I have to use lower dosage then you have to give oral.

Acira

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
How much does Ivermectin cost down there? Also, what would one expect to pay for a general dog check up + usually yearly rabies vaccines?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
If you use the Vet services at Univ. Pedro Enrique Urena (on Kennedy) it will be very reasonable compared to private vets.
The clinic is just on the left as you go through the gates. I had my pup neutered there last month - cost $RD 4000 vs the $RD 15,000 quoted by a private vet.