Ophtalmologist in Puerto Plata area

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I have been helping a family in Puerto Plata. One of the member of that family has developed what has been diagnosed by a nurse as conjunctivitis in one eye, given some drops and told to use soap when washing his hands.

While this may be good general advice, I would still like him to be checked by an ophthalmologist if there is one in the Puerto Plata area. Is there one or does he have to travel to Santiago? What kind of price are we talking about for a Dominicano?

Thank you!

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Dr. Burroughs in Bournigal is excellent; can't speak for his prices though....I have American insurance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a visit to en eye doctor without insurance can be a costly one, depending on what is done. prepare for something between 500 and 1500 pesos, more if any tests are involved.
with conjunctivitis the person will get better very fast with correct medication.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the price range.
He seems to be getting a bit better already. He was told to stay out of the heat (!). I guess in that case it means close to a fan or at least out of the sun.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Dr. Burroughs in Bournigal is excellent; can't speak for his prices though....I have American insurance.
I have used Dr. Burroughs many times, both for eye infections and vision exams. He speaks English very well. About 2 years ago his office visit was in the 500-600 peso range.