Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default offshore fishing puerto plata, season and bait

I was planning to go 10- 15 miles off the coast heading north to try my luck, I was planning to use ballyhoo together with some squid. Question is if this is reallyy the right bait and season to catch any good fish. I'm going in my own boat. Thanks for any help

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

if you are trolling then ballyhoo and/or lures...not sure how you plan to keep squid on the hook unless you are bottomfishing. Bring your own bait its hard to find on the North coast. What kind of boat are you on? its usually calm in the morning and very rough in the afternoons, winds usually east to west.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Where is Mike Fisher when we need him...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Ballyhoo is standard bait here, it is what everybody uses here on the North Coast. You can net it yourself here in Sos˙a or buy it here also. Squid on the other hand is a different story. Good squid really aren't available locally. However, squid is the best and most productive dead bait, PERIOD. If you have access to good squid baits, by all means troll those squid. If you know how to properly rig and troll the baits, you will be more productive with squid, GUARANTEED.

Six to nine inch squid for dolphin and wahoo are perfect and the larger squid, 10-12 inch for marlin. The hook-up ratio for marlin is MUCH HIGHER with squid than ballyhoo. Just remember squid are more delicate than ballyhoo so slow troll them at four or five knots.

If you buy frozen ballyhoo here they are NEVER prepared properly so they don't last long, put a skirt on them to last longer, if you catch them yourself and rig them fresh you will be better off.

You didn't mention where on the north coast you will be fishing.

If you are fishing from Sos˙a, there are plenty of FADs from about a mile out to about eight or nine miles out . Right now mostly dolphin and wahoo around. There are some small blue marlin around also. I found a great weed line last week about eight miles NE of Sos˙a with plently of action. Look for the right conditions, you should do well.

Remember to keep an eye on the weather, it can get nasty real quick.

Good luck.

5. Likes Tamborista liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

All of this fishing talk gets me so jealous. Years of fishing, from salmon trolling to fly fishing for bones, permit and tarpon. Now, after living here for years, I almost forget what it feels like to have a good fish hooked up. Go get 'em, I'd love to hear about the results.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NY-DR Commuter View Post
    Ballyhoo is standard bait here, it is what everybody uses here on the North Coast. You can net it yourself here in Sos˙a or buy it here also. Squid on the other hand is a different story. Good squid really aren't available locally. However, squid is the best and most productive dead bait, PERIOD. If you have access to good squid baits, by all means troll those squid. If you know how to properly rig and troll the baits, you will be more productive with squid, GUARANTEED.

Six to nine inch squid for dolphin and wahoo are perfect and the larger squid, 10-12 inch for marlin. The hook-up ratio for marlin is MUCH HIGHER with squid than ballyhoo. Just remember squid are more delicate than ballyhoo so slow troll them at four or five knots.

If you buy frozen ballyhoo here they are NEVER prepared properly so they don't last long, put a skirt on them to last longer, if you catch them yourself and rig them fresh you will be better off.

You didn't mention where on the north coast you will be fishing.

If you are fishing from Sos˙a, there are plenty of FADs from about a mile out to about eight or nine miles out . Right now mostly dolphin and wahoo around. There are some small blue marlin around also. I found a great weed line last week about eight miles NE of Sos˙a with plently of action. Look for the right conditions, you should do well.

Remember to keep an eye on the weather, it can get nasty real quick.

Good luck.
    Do you have any more info on the FADs, like what they are made from? When I was doing a field course in the Turks and Caicos islands, one the projects I was working on was FADs for spiny lobsters. They are used extensively in Cuba and it makes the industry far more sustainable.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

headed out yesterday and got a about 15` spanish makarel, apart from that there wasnt much around, did catch the markrel close to shore with a spoon.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report dom.
    A realistic report is better than generalized well wishing articles!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    headed out yesterday and got a about 15` spanish makarel, apart from that there wasnt much around, did catch the markrel close to shore with a spoon.
    Was it 15 ' mackerel or 15 mackerels? Just to understand. A 15 foot mackerel would be a little bit exaggerated I think.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

it was more like 15 inch, but still better then no fish at all. this was in the afternoon headed out about 10 miles in the morning, with ballyhoo, no fish to see. i would love to get some tuna, what bait and how far out would you recommend ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast