Greetings from Texas

third

Jun 16, 2012
Hi everyone.

My name is Cleff and I'm married with 3 young children turning 6,5, and 2 this year. Me and my wife are a mixed couple in our early 30s. We have been wanting to move abroad for quite some time and have looked at several different countries mostly in Asia including: Singapore (too expensive), Thailand (too far, inconvenient [visa runs]) and Japan but it's too polluted and kind of price too.

We had just about given up until my chance I read an article about DR and both find living in a beach paradise quite appealing. And the fact that we could stay for a couple of years without having to worry about visa runs, etc. with residency possibilities being quite appealing as well. Another benefit is the chance of learning Spanish as opposed to Thai or something that just isn't very useful outside that country.

Some things that make me hesitant are the fact that their isn't 24/7 electricity and hence internet I suppose. As I work online the thought of having black out periods would be quite troublesome. Another issue is our complete lack of Spanish speaking ability although we'd plan take language courses. Also safety and clean drinking water and food are a concern too. Any information on that would be appreciated.

As far was cost of living and finance I've selling my home owner finance with a 2 year balloon. Ideally my plan would be to live off the $2200/month cash-flow in DR while waiting for the note to mature. But would that be enough money for 2 adults and 3 small kids without having to require heavy on savings?

Is it a good place for family in general?

Are there many American there?

Got tons of questions.

Thanks

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Welcome third.

$2200 is doable.
Habla Espa?ol?
First you'll have to visit the country. See if you really like it and are able to connect with nice locals.
Don't think about the Punta Cana area. You'll have it hard there living of $2200.
As far as internet goes, buy a backup prepaid mobile internet connection. If needed you can go to the shop to extend after 2 moths without a prob.
Electricity problem can solved with an invertor or a small generator.

Others members will advise you later I'm sure.

Just shoot the questions.

Oh and be ready to meet some not so nice members too ;)

third

Jun 16, 2012
Welcome third.

$2200 is doable.
Habla Espa?ol?
First you'll have to visit the country. See if you really like it and are able to connect with nice locals.
Don't think about the Punta Cana area. You'll have it hard there living of $2200.
As far as internet goes, buy a backup prepaid mobile internet connection. If needed you can go to the shop to extend after 2 moths without a prob.
Electricity problem can solved with an invertor or a small generator.

Others members will advise you later I'm sure.

Just shoot the questions.

Oh and be ready to meet some not so nice members too ;)

Thanks for the welcome Cameron. You are right I suppose we should take a trip out here together as it's really quite close. I don't speak much Spanish besides phrases like "Where's the bathroom?" and "With cheese" but am up for the challenge of learning a new language. I guess I'd be looking to rent then something cheap would be nice as I don't want to have to worry about inverters, etc.

I'll try and brace myself for the not so friendly members, thanks.

Since Punta Cana is out, which part of the island would you recommend?

Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The North Coast is worth checking out. Find a few places to rent and check out different locations.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Welcome to the board.

There's a lot of information here, and I suggest you try the search function (it's a little finicky, but the more you try, the more you find.) The cost of living threads have many opposing view points, varying from those that can get by on next to nothing, to those that live on much more than many of us do in the US. Here's an example:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/114250-cost-living-dominican-republic-2011-a.html

Personally, I like the La Romana area, but then Santiago would be a nice for a family as well, but farther from the beach.

You're lucky if you're close to Houston, as I understand there are direct flights from there. Generally, I've got to go through Miami or San Juan. I did see a Funjet billboard with direct flights from Love Field (Dallas) to Punta Cana, but they only run during tourist season.

Now, on the language issue. Certainly you could pick up some Spanish in TX before you go? While the Tex-Mex accent you typically hear is considerably different from that spoken in the DR, the more vocabulary you have under your belt before you go the better off you'll be. (I typically rant on the lack of quality language courses for English speakers in TX, but I'll be nice as you're a newbie.)

Given the age of your children, your next important consideration is going to be schooling, and for the most part public school is not an option (unless you supplement it). You are likely to put schooling, next to safety and electricity on your short list. You'll also find threads on this using the search function.

Good luck.

third

Jun 16, 2012
Alright, thanks for the advice guys.

La Rubia> I do live close to Houston so that's where i'd be departing from. You seem to know Texas very well but hey here only Mexicans use Spanish so it's not very neccessary for day to day life here.

I was one of those people that never took to Spanish in highschool but then again I didn't have any real motivation.

Windeguy> A realtor I talked to recommend the north coast as well. One thing I was wondering was were the prices of condo/villa rentals cheaper than they are listed online on sites like craigslist?

Again thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Alright, thanks for the advice guys.

La Rubia> I do live close to Houston so that's where i'd be departing from. You seem to know Texas very well but hey here only Mexicans use Spanish so it's not very neccessary for day to day life here.

I was one of those people that never took to Spanish in highschool but then again I didn't have any real motivation.

Windeguy> A realtor I talked to recommend the north coast as well. One thing I was wondering was were the prices of condo/villa rentals cheaper than they are listed online on sites like craigslist?

Again thanks.

What you should plan to do is find somewhere to rent for a month or two, then check out whatever else is available while you are here to see what you like better and to get the best deal.

mbgmike

Jan 17, 2012
Yes try Puerto Plata. that is where we live. I am from Houston and we live here also. My wife and children are Dominican. I have never had a direct flight from Houston.I fly there all the time. Most stops are in Miami or FLL. We can help you out if you have any questions. I will be there next week.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Third:
Seems to me that most of the information you have received so far has been fair and correct.

While not Texas-size, the DR is about 19000 sq miles, with bigger mountains than Texas, and mesquite forests in some places, just like Texas. You have high mountain valleys, and lots of beaches.

The issues you raise are valid: Water, Internet, electricity. BUT the good thing is, they are all solved fairly easy.

While I am partial to Santiago, because it is a big little city and close enough to beaches and mountains for the children we raised (11 all told!), it also has good schools and medical facilities which might tip the balance. Things like electricity and Internet are not big issues here and neither is the water.

I can agree with "mbgmike" that Puerto Plata is a pretty fair choice, and might be an option. And La Romana is a great place (not Casa de Campo--that is a whole 'nuther world) and the people are maybe the best part.

So: Hop on a plane with the wife if you can do it, and fly into Santiago and then travel around. We can certainly point you in the right directions and if you go light you can take public transportation to the whole country. And, you will probably find a few friends on this board who will be happy to show you around their respective areas....I know I would be happy to show you around Santiago!

Your budget is more than enough by the way, but not if you try to live like you do in the States.Not that you will be eeking out an existence, but do take a look at cost of living...(and yes, a lot of us can help you with that, too.)

Cordially,

HB

third

Jun 16, 2012
Windeguy> Good idea, thanks

Derfish> I googled Puerto Plata and the pictures looked stunning filled with golf courses, yatchs and 5 star resorts. With just me and my wife I can see how we'd be able to get by in a 350 condo but we also have 3 small kids. I know you say it's cheap but it just looks like a very expensive place.

Mbgmike> After looking at the pictures I've decided that Puerto Plata is definitely one of the places my wife and I will visit. Thanks for the offer I'll let you know when we are in town!

HB> Thanks for the insight. Took a look at Santiago on the map and was surprised how north it was. Living in a big city has it's conveniences and having stable electricity and internet service is a plus as well. One thing that sort of concerned me possibly is the fast pace I'm assuming the city has. With everyone speaking Spanish it just seems like it could be a bit overwhelming and confusing. Raising 11 kids there in itself sounds like a very interesting story I'd like to hear someday! We'd definitely like to take you up on your offer and will keep you posted on when we arrive. Thanks.

Pelaut> That's sort of what I was thinking.. 2 years actually if DR is anything like I'm hoping it will be. Not having to work there and having beautiful weather, oceans, mountains, etc. it's hard to see how it could be bad unless if there's always a bunch of people walking around with rifles and machetes. Thanks for the links, good to see actual video of the country.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Weclome to DR1 - As others have stated, a visit will really help in your decision process. As to the electricity, a back-up generator would be the answer. You can get them for a single residence or if you buy in a gated community they'll have one that covers you. A fairly common fixture in the DR.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
To pick up a little Spanish before your trip, you could do some Pimslear or something simular. Also try busuu.com - it's a free site. It's a language community, you help others out who are trying to learn English, and others help you trying to learn Spanish.