does danilo have a proposed program for la delincuencia?

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
As the title says, does danilo have any programs that will be implemented once he takes office to combat the increase in crime rate? I think he should try a lenient approach first, maybe a program like the guns for toys that worked here in the us. Then I would say it's time to release the army on the streets.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
As the title says, does danilo have any programs that will be implemented once he takes office to combat the increase in crime rate? I think he should try a lenient approach first, maybe a program like the guns for toys that worked here in the us. Then I would say it's time to release the army on the streets.

Yes, his program is set to let the criminals continue and the police to be corrupt and to kill some of the criminals and torture them if they do not receive their bribes and payments to look the other way while crimes happen while they make money off of the crimes and Danilo gets his cut from the police corruption to supplement his income and pay some of his cronies their salaries.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you must be kidding me. they never have a detailed program on anything, just that they will fight/eradicate/build/cultivate/grow/eliminate and so on...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lisa, good question. In the polls, apparently the people felt that Danilo had a better stance on crime than Hipolito and this gave him an edge. Hipolito just said that he was going to thrown all the PLD into jail..sort of. I never heard what Danilo was going to do.

What can he do? Toys for guns? Not here. There are 3 X the weapons without licenses than there are with licenses. That makes in round numbers about a million weapons out there, in a population that has little or no idea how to use them properly, and who think (?) little of pulling the trigger.

It doesn't make sense to take the firearms from people that have them registered, since the government knows who and where they are. It might be interesting if there was a rewards system for firearms such as RD$50000 for a 9mm no questions asked beyond whether it was registered or not. And a stick (perhaps public beatings???) if you are caught with an illegal firearm. Maybe run the offender down the street naked? Something really harsh???

We know that harsher punishments for crimes committed with firearms does not seem to work as a deterrent so what are the options? Well they say that the shark population is decreasing...perhaps we could feed them better quality proteins? Nobody would miss them, since most of these elements are "throwaways" of society anyway.

Long term, Danilo has to make education number one. And any parent with a child not in school has to do public service for 30 days (with minimum wage)...something along those lines. Talking and scolding won't work either.

Enough dreaming.

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dominican Revolving Fund

It might be interesting if there was a rewards system for firearms such as RD$50000 for a 9mm no questions asked beyond whether it was registered or not.

That sounds like Ponzi scheme #13...
The very same gun would be "confiscated", paid for, sold again, "confiscated", paid for, sold again, "confiscated", paid for, sold again, "confiscated", paid for, sold again, "confiscated", paid for, sold again, "confiscated", paid for, sold again, "confiscated", paid for, sold again, ..... :bunny:
BTW, how much would a .45 or a UZI fetch?

donP

May 12, 2005
According to an article I read last week in Listin Diario or Diario Libre, Danilo is going to model his crime fighting plan after what Colombia did about 15 years ago to solve it's high crime problem. Also let's see who he names to be the national prosecutor and head of the PN.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
According to an article I read last week in Listin Diario or Diario Libre, Danilo is going to model his crime fighting plan after what Colombia did about 15 years ago to solve it's high crime problem. Also let's see who he names to be the national prosecutor and head of the PN.

Hey Frank, do you have a link to this article? Thanks.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks! Sounds like Medina has the right angle to curve the increasing crime rate; I like the idea of increasing the pay on the police, but I also hope he includes more police presence in the streets. Case in point, NYC. Yesterday I was running some errands in the Bronx (Jerome area) and counted 3 police vehicles and 4 officers on foot; all within 3 blocks. They weren't particularly looking for anyone, they were just having there presence felt. It gives a great sense of security not just for the citizens but also for businesses. How else is the City supposed to operate if people don't feel safe to go shopping and pay that NY sales tax.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The sense of security you are getting is a false one as crime is going up in the Bronx.

MURDERS and shootings surged in the Bronx last year, leaving 20 more people dead and 50 more wounded by gunfire than in 2010.

Shooting incidents rose 6%, from 400 in 2010 to 424 in 2011. The number of shooting victims grew 10.6%, from 473 victims in 2010 to 523 in 2011.

Murders and shootings up - New York Daily News

NotLurking

Thanks! Sounds like Medina has the right angle to curve the increasing crime rate; I like the idea of increasing the pay on the police, but I also hope he includes more police presence in the streets. Case in point, NYC. Yesterday I was running some errands in the Bronx (Jerome area) and counted 3 police vehicles and 4 officers on foot; all within 3 blocks. They weren't particularly looking for anyone, they were just having there presence felt. It gives a great sense of security not just for the citizens but also for businesses. How else is the City supposed to operate if people don't feel safe to go shopping and pay that NY sales tax.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Most shootings are not random, the victims know the shooter. Just use common sense and you will be fine.

That's why I refuse to get to know anyone with a gun...:cheeky:

Don't expect any groundbreaking anything from Danilo...just incremental improvement (hopefully), which may not be a bad thing. If he does as he promised "Corregir lo que esta malo y continuar lo que esta bien" then we should see a decent government for the next for years, with continued economic growth and hopefully lowering of the crime rate a little bit. In terms of disarming the population forget it...the cat's out of the bag and it can't be put back in. You can get a gun for about 10k pesos in The DR...that should tell you something.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
That's why I refuse to get to know anyone with a gun...:cheeky:

Don't expect any groundbreaking anything from Danilo...just incremental improvement (hopefully), which may not be a bad thing. If he does as he promised "Corregir lo que esta malo y continuar lo que esta bien" then we should see a decent government for the next for years, with continued economic growth and hopefully lowering of the crime rate a little bit. In terms of disarming the population forget it...the cat's out of the bag and it can't be put back in. You can get a gun for about 10k pesos in The DR...that should tell you something.

I agree, disarming is not gonna happen. I think they should make it illegal for more than 1 person to ride on a motorcycle/pasola unless you are a motoconcho.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I agree, disarming is not gonna happen. I think they should make it illegal for more than 1 person to ride on a motorcycle/pasola unless you are a motoconcho.

Ha? Even less of a chance of this happening. If you have a Pasola that's normally your and your family's only means of transportation, so everybody piles on when they're going somewhere (Reason why you see up to 6 people on one sometimes). Just getting them to wear helmets would be an improvement and even that is not happening.

Enrolling more police? Not necessarily needed, but getting all of those who are currently being used as drivers / nannies / bodyguards of the rich and connected to actually serve and patrol the streets would be a great start. Rotate them in/out of the bad neighborhoods, so they don't get to form relationships with the criminals. Deploy the military in the really dangerous areas where currently police doesn't even dare go in.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Ha? Even less of a chance of this happening. If you have a Pasola that's normally your and your family's only means of transportation, so everybody piles on when they're going somewhere (Reason why you see up to 6 people on one sometimes). Just getting them to wear helmets would be an improvement and even that is not happening.

Enrolling more police? Not necessarily needed, but getting all of those who are currently being used as drivers / nannies / bodyguards of the rich and connected to actually serve and patrol the streets would be a great start. Rotate them in/out of the bad neighborhoods, so they don't get to form relationships with the criminals. Deploy the military in the really dangerous areas where currently police doesn't even dare go in.

Good point! Danilo are you reading? Deploy some hummers into the barrios and set up shop there.