Papers for civil marriage

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
An up to date list of papers needed for a British citizen to married in a civil office with a Dominican citizen.
I thought I had it down but have just been reading about forms I have never heard of before. As these laws change I think maybe these could be out of date.
Also which of these papers I can obtain from the Dominican republic.

To hear from a British citizen who has been there would be very useful for me.

Thanks.​

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not really sure if your nickname is appropriate if you are thinking about marrying so soon. Maybe it is good that it is confusing you and making you go slow.

But if you ask one of the magistrates, he/she can tell you exactly what you need beyond a certificate of being single, your passport (maybe a birth certificate?) and a bunch of money...

Wait for the legal experts here....

HB

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Hi hillbilly,
yes it probably comes across as a rush decision as I am lagging in specific documentation required, I think visiting certain sites and being confident that there would not be so much to it has left me behind a bit. I was under the impression a full birth certificate translated by an official to the embassy and my passport was going to be enough. Now I see I need an affidavit of my single status. The form I have downloaded and looks very basic and straight forward, just me my parents and an official stamp and signature of a similar status lawyer who has translated my birth certificate, correct?
but just as we are about to get things done I read of something called a CNI form, which I have never heard of before, Never mind know what it is, and, I am to notify the local press to announce my plans to marry, I can't believe this!
I would prefer to get this in the country to avoid the costs of flying out and back in again, and so am hoping there is going to be a fast track way around this.
Hopefully like you say someone will be around to confirm my concerns or dismiss them as too much site jumping and confusing myself.
Also I don't see the process as very costly, quite cheap in fact for a civil marriage, do you know of costs I am yet to be surprised by?

There are several years together in DR, children between us, although I never got residency. I don't consider the decision is a rush, probably a bit slow if anything, although yes, I can see how someone being so badly prepared could be seen a rushing into it.

Thanks again.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The only thing I can think of is the CNI is something to do with the consejo nacional de iglesias as recently evangelical churches can perform marriages. I have never heard of putting in the paper - you do for divorces but not for marriages. Suggest you speak to a lawyer.

kn8807a

Jun 13, 2012
I recently gotten married almost 1 month ago in DR and I can say the best way to get all of this done is to have a lawyer to help you in DR> Very quick and easy. He takes care of everything including translation, single status, and arranging you to get marry in the ministrary's office.

For me, since my husband is from DR and I am not. I needed

1.) my birth certificate legalized and translated in spanish
2.) Single status and have it notorized (my lawyer took care of that for me)
3.) my passport

It was really simple and easy. Let me know if you have any questions