car rental insurance

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
It appears that many car rental companies in Santo Domingo have stopped giving you the option to decline the collision coverage in favor of the coverage offered by Visa and Master Card cards. This, in my case, has more than doubled the cost from the that stated on the reservation. It doesn't seemed to have effected the state of repair from minor collisions on the cars they rent though.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
RECOMMENDATION!

Get the OPTIONAL windshield insurance they offer for a few dollars a day. (We did decline the optional collision but got this.)

IN our last trip to the DR a coconut fell from a tree while we were driving and it cracked the front windshield of the new KIA Sportage (1500 MILES) we rented from AVIS. That would have been a killer, otherwise. The insurance covered it w/no deductible.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
I don't know about them. Only Europcar for certain, but the guy at their counter told me that it was all the ones with counters at the airport. I tried one of the one's down the street at the intersection of Autopista las Americas and the connector and quickly tired of his bull**** and the whole affair. I didn't come here to shop for rental cars, I thought I took care of that three months ago.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
RECOMMENDATION!

Get the OPTIONAL windshield insurance they offer for a few dollars a day. (We did decline the optional collision but got this.)

IN our last trip to the DR a coconut fell from a tree while we were driving and it cracked the front windshield of the new KIA Sportage (1500 MILES) we rented from AVIS. That would have been a killer, otherwise. The insurance covered it w/no deductible.
When was Avis allowing you to decline collision?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It appears that many car rental companies in Santo Domingo have stopped giving you the option to decline the collision coverage in favor of the coverage offered by Visa and Master Card cards.........

..... Only Europcar for certain, but the guy at their counter told me that it was all the ones with counters at the airport........
So is it many or just Europcar? I just rented from Alamo/National last week and had no problem declining CDW.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
When was Avis allowing you to decline collision?

Always? I rented from them many times (but not from the SDQ), almost always declined all their insurance. I second the advice about the windshield damage insurance for something like $2.99 per day since it also covers flat tires - if you don't have that, Avis charges about $100. The rest is taken care by my Visa.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
So is it many or just Europcar? I just rented from Alamo/National last week and had no problem declining CDW.
It is what I said it is. I was pretty clear about it.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It is what I said it is. I was pretty clear about it.
It is not very clear to me. You mention Europcar and many. Who are the "many"? Are you speaking about the nickle and dime rental companies or the major companies as the "many"?

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Always? I rented from them many times (but not from the SDQ), almost always declined all their insurance. I second the advice about the windshield damage insurance for something like $2.99 per day since it also covers flat tires - if you don't have that, Avis charges about $100. The rest is taken care by my Visa.
Thanks. It was always for me also, regardless of which company I used (including europcar), until last week. I was asking 2020 because 2020 had a recent similar situation to relate, and I wanted to know how recent it was. bigbird rented at around the same time as I did without the problem I had. So I guess I was not only robbed, but lied to by europcar. I think I'll have to make several reservations for my next trip. I'll leave europcar off the list.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Europcar is a shady company, I do not recommend them. Last time I rented from them (STI) for a week and when I brought the car back they said that the rate they gave me was 'the cash rate', and if I wanted to pay with a credit card, that's +26%. I had the cash on me and paid but will never use them again. Also had negative experience at their Bavaro location. I like Avis as they tend to be most professional among DR car rentals, and never tried anything sneaky on me. Also Hertz is pretty good.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
Good to know VJS. I've rented about four times from Europcar happily, but I'm with you on this one. As they say screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me.