A morning in Bani

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
On occasion of Expo Mango, headed out to Bani to taste some mangos ripe from the farm and check out all the varieties that are exhibited. This year there was even a tasting event, where you would queue up to go inside a fly-free tent and taste from about 20 different varieties of mangos. There are 200+ varieties, but 20 are commercially produced. It is always amazing to see the different varieties of mango. Highly recommended to head out to Bani for Expo Mango, but if you miss it, contact the Mango Cluster to arrange to visit the farms or just head out to Bani to stop by their fresh produce market and buy from the road stands.
Here are some of my photos of the visit on Sunday, 17 June 2012. I suggest having lunch with the home-cooking style food (we had stewed goat, fried fish with rice and beans and guandules and fried plantains) at La Casona in town, and then desert at Las Marias, delicious not-ripened coconut with milk.

Banilejo mangos
2i91c1g.jpg

Red mangos
112bc42.jpg

102w4g4.jpg

green orange mangos
oucpaq.jpg

green mangos
2j1og1g.jpg

Mangos the size of a head
5nskuv.jpg

Bani church
aymyb6.jpg

Traditional house
2dqnkol.jpg

La Casona outside
x59nk8.jpg

La Casona menu
333ldtt.jpg

Las Marias
32zif77.jpg

Coco tierno
2z4ipw6.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wonderful photos, Mr. AE was just talking about the Expo, and wishing we were in DR to go to it. He was especially interested in seeing how they graft the trees.

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hope that they have it on the same weekend next year...I will take a group of students from here in the Cibao...it looks great!!....

Thanks D...

HB