Premium for Medical Insurance

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Hello,

I have ARS Colonial for more than two years and used to pay 6600 Pesos every six months. Today i went to pay the premium and they asked me to pay 9600 pesos. An increase of 50%. They say that medical insurance premium was hiked for all plans in all the companies. Is that true?

Is there any better plan than this for 10000 pesos every six months?

Thanks in advance.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have ARS MetaSalud with Plan Estrella Plus,their top of the line coverage, and I pay 9,600 per year.
This is for me alone and I am 64 years of age. I couldn't even dream about having this in the states.............
And they don't end the coverage at 65, it's just a few pesos more..............

B in Santiago

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I have ARS MetaSalud with Plan Estrella Plus,their top of the line coverage, and I pay 9,600 per year.
This is for me alone and I am 64 years of age. I couldn't even dream about having this in the states.............

B in Santiago

Wow, that is amazing! I am 36 and pay $313 per month, which is half of the actual amount as my employer pays 50%. So to cover a 36 male non smoker is $25,000 pesos per month. Jesus!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

B in Santiago
Never heard of it but if it pays, it's good. I'm 67 and Humano (They say the biggest on the island) costs me the same. I have yet to pay 1 centavo to CMC even for up to 4 days in the clinic. Had X-rays done yesterday (Metal hips) and visit with an orthopedist (70.00 pesos) for the X-Ray total disbusement.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Used the coverage for the first time last week for a complete blood work-up. They would only pay for the first 1500 BUT, if I returned the next day for the balance of 800 DP, they would pay for that also. In other words, 1500 in Lab work daily, (what a scheme). I didn't want to come back and spend 2-4 hours there waiting so I just paid the difference. I'll see what happens later if more is needed.

B in Santiago

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Never heard of it but if it pays, it's good. I'm 67 and Humano (They say the biggest on the island) costs me the same. I have yet to pay 1 centavo to CMC even for up to 4 days in the clinic. Had X-rays done yesterday (Metal hips) and visit with an orthopedist (70.00 pesos) for the X-Ray total disbusement.

How much do you pay?

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
So, you're paying $50 a month now?

Yes, it is almost. But the problem is it has no full coverage. I just need them only in case of any emergency. It is not useful if needed casual visits to the doctor. Covers nothing. For example,300 pesos only for consultation.In fact for the first one year I had never used it.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010

B in Santiago

It is a very good deal. But how is the acceptance, do many hospitals accept this.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Wow, that is amazing! I am 36 and pay $313 per month, which is half of the actual amount as my employer pays 50%. So to cover a 36 male non smoker is $25,000 pesos per month. Jesus!

It is very expensive. I am not sure but I heard that the best plan that covers everything including medicine is only 100 USD per month.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It is a very good deal. But how is the acceptance, do many hospitals accept this.

With all the paperwork they gave me, there is a pamphlet with all the clinics, hospitals, and Doctor's names all around the country that accept their company, and there are quite a few. I have only gone to Cl?nica Corominas here in Santiago for a blood work-up so I haven't seen a Doctor on their plan as yet. The Doctor who wrote me the prescription for the blood work-up is a personal friend who was a heart surgeon and he never charges me. If you would like any info let me know and I can either pm you or post here. I also know the new HOMS hospital in Santiago accepts them.

B in Santiago

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
crazy question but do these insurance have any prexisting coverage clauses? I need knee surgery..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we talked about this many times. the only companies that really pay off are humano and universal. palic and monumental follow.
personally i would not touch metasalud with a stick: the plan and coverage may be good but i am sure in reality it's limited. i always use clinica union in santiago and while different doctors accept different seguros most of them would stick to the few biggest companies for the security of pay. so even if the hospital as such accepts certain insurance you may still fork out a full fee for your doctor.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The problem is this, I was told that the 2 that you mention will not renew after 65.....then what...
If I was misinformed, I would switch in a heartbeat.............

B in Santiago

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
waytogo, i am sorry. indeed your options may be limited. most insurances WILL go on after 65 providing you have been with them for some time. check out palic and monumental on their policy, both insurances are rather good and the coverage is wide...

i always advocate to get health insurance as soon as possible after moving to DR or even if living here part time. it's a little price to pay for the peace of mind.