Are there physician assistants in Santo Domingo?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Never saw one. Dont think the idea ever caught on in the DR. In the US having a PA allows doctors to make more money. In the DR the doctors have not been able to wring out obscene profits from their patients like the US. Here the doctors do not pass themselves off as gods and charge a fortune for their work. The DR doctors make a decent living but there is not enough money that they can afford to split anything with a PA. Plus the DR medicos do not have a doctors union like the AMA to control the supply and demand and fight for pro doctor legislation. More than you asked but I am no fan of the US medical professon.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are they notably more respected than a nurse? And what are they called in Spanish?

Here there are more doctors than can make a good living. Many work for public hospitals where they are paid less than you would expect a doctor to make. Doctors here do what physician assistants and nurse practioners do in the US

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Never saw one. Dont think the idea ever caught on in the DR. In the US having a PA allows doctors to make more money. In the DR the doctors have not been able to wring out obscene profits from their patients like the US. Here the doctors do not pass themselves off as gods and charge a fortune for their work. The DR doctors make a decent living but there is not enough money that they can afford to split anything with a PA. Plus the DR medicos do not have a doctors union like the AMA to control the supply and demand and fight for pro doctor legislation. More than you asked but I am no fan of the US medical professon.

PA's actually came about because of the shortage of physicians in the U.S. and they fill the gap when doctors aren't available and it has nothing to do with doctors making money.

Physician assistants, nurse practitioners fill health-care gap

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080515/NEWS0107/805150307

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
What shortage? In the US doctors are available wherever there is the smell of money. Doctors use PAs to increase their patient workload and make more money. In the US the PA has to work directly under a licensed MD and at his direction and responsibility. The only gap in healthcare is in the poorer parts of the US where they do not care to practice because the poor either cannot pay or only pay what medicaid and medicare schedules allow. Any shortage of doctors is artificial because the AMA knows that if there is anything like a surplus of doctors then their incomes will fall.
The US is where doctors go to med school to get rich. In most other countries of the world doctors make nothing like the incomes they get in the US. All this has nothing to do with the original question or the Dominican Republic. Enough said.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
What shortage? In the US doctors are available wherever there is the smell of money. Doctors use PAs to increase their patient workload and make more money. In the US the PA has to work directly under a licensed MD and at his direction and responsibility. The only gap in healthcare is in the poorer parts of the US where they do not care to practice because the poor either cannot pay or only pay what medicaid and medicare schedules allow. Any shortage of doctors is artificial because the AMA knows that if there is anything like a surplus of doctors then their incomes will fall.
The US is where doctors go to med school to get rich. In most other countries of the world doctors make nothing like the incomes they get in the US. All this has nothing to do with the original question or the Dominican Republic. Enough said.
More than enough said when you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Most of my treatment is at the VETERANS AFFAIRS or MILITARY clinics where PA's DO NOT have to work under a physician and because of the SHORTAGE that EACH of the articles spelled out, often serve in place of doctors and treat patients where no doctor is available. The VA, the Air Force, the NAVY and the ARMY have tens of thousands of PA's who take the place of doctors on the battlefield and on ships when NO doctor is available.

Your knowledge of the laws is pretty s***ty as well.

MWpending

Feb 22, 2011
Doctor Visit cost on average $160 US and thats weather i see a doctor or the PA.
hmmmm now thats s***ty.
Don't get me wrong I like my PA but she see's more patience then the Doctor and gets paid way less.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
VA hospitals and military clinics have the unenviable reputation of delivering poor care. Veterans who can afford to do so go to real doctors and real hospitals and avoid the VA. Even though you may have some experience delivering substandard care to military who have no choice in the matter you will not be working as a PA in the DR. In the real world PAs do not "take the place of doctors", as their name indicates they are assistants. They are not and will never be the equal of a trained physician. This is a bs discussion and your opinion of what I know is irrevelant. My final word on the subject. Good luck to you.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I'm not sure I'd agree with your perception of care at VA clinics, I've always found the care to be excellent.

The WAIT to get the care can be pretty exasperating though....

Thank you!!! I go to to VA here at Bay Pines in FLA. I had med.ins. for years and when laid off in 1/2008 I reverted to what I was promised when joining the military in 1/70. Promised!! free medical for life!! Lookout all you folks that have gov't programs. SS, Medicare, etc. you already hear the repeated words "Means Testing". This is what congress did with the VA system. You will be judged on your assets and income--and it is coming for sure. That said. My care here at Bay Pines has been a refreshing faith in how the system works. The only time I have waited was when I called that morning to see a Doc. due to an ear infection (rec'd, I'm sure, while swimming in the river near Yamasa,DR.). I waited 20 mins. Normally, my appointments are complete and I'm gone by the actual appt. time. I honor their care--no bull--. It has been a relief from the normal AMA aka. Medical Mafia that exists here in the states. This is the main reason why ins. has gotten so outlandish. Most of them now belong to networks etc.--referrals for no reason. While I looked after my Dad (Bronze Star WWII),--83-- that had Parkinson's; it was amazing how many times I saw the M system at work; Abusing the Medicare system beyond belief. Several times I inquired the reason for his visit--and left with him and telling the office not to even think of billing Medicare. I love PAs!! My Ex sister in law was an RN from UMASS. She did two tours as a nurse in Viet Nam and is on the wall in DC. Back then only Yale and Vanderblit offered th MA for Nurse Pract. She and my Bro. moved from MA to Nashville. I was in DC, diagnosed with the gout and an MD prescribed--of all other things--Butizolidin!!(shortly thereafter, outlawed to give to horses) Mary Lou told me to through it out and not take any. Since, I've dealt with two PAs. Love them! Give me a PA over a DO anytime!! The DR, as much good as a flock of PAs are needed there, will never happen. Firstly, other than narcotics, no prescription is needed.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
VA hospitals and military clinics have the unenviable reputation of delivering poor care. Veterans who can afford to do so go to real doctors and real hospitals and avoid the VA. Even though you may have some experience delivering substandard care to military who have no choice in the matter you will not be working as a PA in the DR. In the real world PAs do not "take the place of doctors", as their name indicates they are assistants. They are not and will never be the equal of a trained physician. This is a bs discussion and your opinion of what I know is irrevelant. My final word on the subject. Good luck to you.

Hmmmm, while I agree with this in theory, in practicum....not so much. I work with Physicians, Surgeons, NPs, and PAs every damn day. There are some surgeons who cancel surgeries if the PA calls out sick....hmmmm, wonder why that is?
I have surgeons who come into the surgery barely knowing who the patient is and the PA has to give them the run down on who, what, when, and where.
I had one surgeon whose PA was late getting to the OR and we had to wait to drape because he likes his drapes a certain way but he didn't even know how to do it! He just kept repeating "Michelle knows how to do it, she knows how I like them", we kept asking him "Just tell us and we'll do it that way" and he wanted to wait for her because he had no f*cking clue.

A good PA is worth their weght in Gold......

Period.

SHALENA

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
Hmmm, never had a problem at the VA. Last PA I worked with told me that it takes them 5-6 yrs to become one. I asked my wife about PA in DR, she could not name an equivalent as well.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Again, You don't know what you're talking about. No one said they were equals, the fill the gap. Seems as if you're also having a problem with English Language comprehension as well as bias.

I fly back and forth to ANN ARBOR Michigan to the VA hospital, most of the doctors that rotate through there also rotate through the University of Michigan hospital in Ann Arbor, one of the best in the nation, and always in the top 10 of medical schools in the nation. Your knowledge of the VA and military medicine are biased. Many breakthroughs in medicine have come from military sources, and the Armed Forces Institute of Medicine is one of the most highly rated facilities in the world. You're right, because the chip on your shoulder is affecting your speech patterns and you're beginning to babble senselessly, and it seems you forgot what you were even talking about and now bringing in Red Herrings and talking points into a conversation where you're not even equipped to be engaging in anyway. In the civilian world, my ONLY contact with Physician's Assistants have been in the Emergency Rooms, where one saved me from an industrial accident which would have cost me my hand.

As for their qualifications, I doubt if you know them. Sometimes, when you only know a topic from the point of bias, it's best to shut up.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
A PA in the US has a Bachelor's Degree and 2-3 years of PA school. A DOCTOR in the Dominican Republic goes to college for 5 years, several years LESS than a Licensed PA in the U.S., but you wouldn't know that. It's WHY you don't see very many Dominican Doctors in the United States, because the licensing authorities in the U.S. don't consider them qualified enough and require they take additional schooling before applying.

Again, you should do some research. And as for the VA being poor quality? That's a 50's myth. A lot has changed. Most in urban areas have partnerships with civilian medical centers and use the same doctors and staff. But when you don't know what you're talking about, faux indignation will do when lack of knowledge prevails.

And Again, I see PA's in civilian Emergency rooms all of the time. Not in a doctor's office. Yes this is b.s., and I know where it's coming from.....

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Sorry I just found out what a PA is, I never heard of one before. My daughters mother is a RN and she explained what they are. I always thought you were either a doctor or a nurse. You learn something NEW everyday.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
PAs are very common in rural New England. Without them one would have to travel to a fairly large town to see a physician. The PA who I saw in Ludlow, Vt would always consult his MD in Rutland and refer as needed. He was an ex-military medic.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Absolutely.

The doctor that operated on my knees in the Miami VA Hospital, was reknown at the "father" that pioneered the procedure of laproscopic surgery on the knees. There were several doctors attending my surgery that were there to observe how the technique was done.

VA Hospitals are often training hospitals as well.
You are correct. Many of the VA Medical Centers are part of major University Hospital training programs with a common staff of attending physicians. The Miami VA is associated with, and physically located adjacent to Jackson Memorial Hospital/University of Miami School of Medicine. They jointly provide some of the most advanced residency and fellowship training programs in the US. Most particularly is the trauma surgery program which gives future trauma surgeons training in trauma presenting at the Jackson Memorial Trauma Center as well as reconstructive surgery of military trauma at the VA Center. Another world reknown training center is the affiliation between the University of Maryland Medical Center and the Baltimore VA Medical Center. People fail to realize that throughout history, the greatest advances in medicine have been a result of military medicine. The use of antibiotics during WWII or the rapid evacuation of wounded in Korea and Vietnam have all impacted on care of the US civilian population. The "Golden Hour" under which EMS works is a result of Vietnam experience. One of the greatest positives which will come from the wars in Iraq and Afhganistan will be the production of future civillian surgeons who are currently military surgeons. As the death rates in the US from trauma significantly decreased after previous wars, so will it after the current wars.