Renting a car while in the Dominican Republic

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I want to rent an SUV while in Santo Domingo. HOwever, I have seen how people drive. I have also heard of police bribing foreigners and threatening to arrest them if they do not give money to them. Is it a good idea to rent an SUV in Santo Domingo? I will be there from next Monday until September.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I did exactly that before I shipped my car.

Don't give it a second thought.

Drive defensively in the daytime.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Driving around La Capital is a challenge. If you have never driven in the DR it will take some time to adjust to this. Make sure when you rent a car that you have the max insurance. If you are pulled over for an "inspection" play dumb, no comprende' or simply, if someone is flagging you over just wave and keep going.

LTS

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Your foreign drivers license will not be accepted legally after a certain point which I belive would be September 23.

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
The last time I checked a foreigner's foreign driver's license was only accepted as a permit to drive within the Dominican Republic, for the ~90 consecutive days from the day of his entrance into the county. I apologize if this incorrect or has changed.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The last time I checked a foreigner's foreign driver's license was only accepted as a permit to drive within the Dominican Republic, for the ~90 consecutive days from the day of his entrance into the county. I apologize if this incorrect or has changed.
I got confused because of the specific date, I realize now that you are referring to the 90 days rule.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats a hard one to nail down.... police on the road determining your length of stay.

But we have always talked about the insurance companies refusing to honor a foreign licence.
Of course, for rented cars that doesn't apply.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Thats a hard one to nail down.... police on the road determining your length of stay.

But we have always talked about the insurance companies refusing to honor a foreign licence.
Of course, for rented cars that doesn't apply.
All the police has to do is look at your passport for your last entry stamp.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't carry mine.

One time at the airport - before residency - they tried to find the "in" stamp on however many pages of stamps I had.
They couldn't find it, so wanted to charge me the maximum overstay.

I argued and they literally tossed my passport back and said "You find it then !"

I did ----

wuarhat

Nov 13, 2006
The letter of the law only matters when it really matters, but it's better to be aware of it before it bites you. I drove for four months on a foregn license without event, before I ever heard of this law.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I checked and they want to charge me 529 dollars a week for an SUV plus 80 for their best insurance. Does anyone know of rental companies with reasonable prices in Santo Domingo?

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Rent a small sh@tbox....believe me you want to be less than noticed...just avoid the missing manhole covers they smart a bit. And the rules of avoiding standing water on the charlie after it rains do not apply....just watch the car ahead...if he sinks you know your fate...so act accordingly.

Last edited:

Dandman

May 17, 2004
The problem is leaving the country if you have had an accident. They can put a hold on your passport until the claim is settled or until you pay in cash the amount of the damage. You then are supposed to receive a check from the insurance company when the claim is settled. Theft and vandalism is a major problem in the Capital especially if it is a SUV.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
As former NYC delivery truck driver on my younger days and used to be daily commuter to downtown NYC . Driving in DR is not for weak hearted. I just did a trip to Puerto Plata and I had been driving around Santiago for couple of weeks now. And in my brief driving, I've leaned in order to drive in DR, you have to have psychic power.

How does people tell if there's a manhole missing and knows conchos with no lights in the dark to your right with upcoming cars/trucks with high beams. And those busted head light conchos comes in to your lane just to avoid potholes or to make left turns? I have and try to avoid driving at night but driving during the day is just as challenging.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You really need to ignore the advice you got learning to drive.

In RD, two feet need to be in use all the time!!!:eek:gre:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
As former NYC delivery truck driver on my younger days and used to be daily commuter to downtown NYC . Driving in DR is not for weak hearted. I just did a trip to Puerto Plata and I had been driving around Santiago for couple of weeks now. And in my brief driving, I've leaned in order to drive in DR, you have to have psychic power.

How does people tell if there's a manhole missing and knows conchos with no lights in the dark to your right with upcoming cars/trucks with high beams. And those busted head light conchos comes in to your lane just to avoid potholes or to make left turns? I have and try to avoid driving at night but driving during the day is just as challenging.
ok.. here is a short course for driving prep in the dr

first.. drive to nyc from vermont and get lost in the bronx at 6 pm and try to make your way to manhattan

second.. take an old beat up car across the pass from colorado to somewhere west where you have to cross the mojave desert or the likes of it.. you end up in a dusty cross roads called needles.. used cars and ice cream and gas

and the wrecks of the cars that did not make this

we did this trip in 1969 in a NEW plymouth barracuda and almost died

do not forget to place the extra water bags on the radiator

third

set up camp outside los angeles in the sticky hills of pasedena... then.. be too tired to cook and drive down to town for the night

the road is switch back turns like the one to constanza

you will not return to the campsite that night

fourth

camp at a national park in costa rica

alone

i did all these things things

and was still not prepared to be assualted at the monument in Santiago after 8 years here

so

DO NOT RENT A CAR AND DRIVE HERE IF THIS IS YOU
R 1 3 4 5 8 th trip

only

if you have run through your first seven lives