Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Renting a car while in the Dominican Republic

I want to rent an SUV while in Santo Domingo. HOwever, I have seen how people drive. I have also heard of police bribing foreigners and threatening to arrest them if they do not give money to them. Is it a good idea to rent an SUV in Santo Domingo? I will be there from next Monday until September.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you will be alright just drive mostly in the day

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I did exactly that before I shipped my car.

Don't give it a second thought.

Drive defensively in the daytime.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi:

Driving around La Capital is a challenge. If you have never driven in the DR it will take some time to adjust to this. Make sure when you rent a car that you have the max insurance. If you are pulled over for an "inspection" play dumb, no comprende' or simply, if someone is flagging you over just wave and keep going.

LTS

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Your foreign drivers license will not be accepted legally after a certain point which I belive would be September 23.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    Your foreign drivers license will not be accepted legally after a certain point which I belive would be September 23.
    Can you explain this please?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I checked a foreigner's foreign driver's license was only accepted as a permit to drive within the Dominican Republic, for the ~90 consecutive days from the day of his entrance into the county. I apologize if this incorrect or has changed.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    The last time I checked a foreigner's foreign driver's license was only accepted as a permit to drive within the Dominican Republic, for the ~90 consecutive days from the day of his entrance into the county. I apologize if this incorrect or has changed.
    I got confused because of the specific date, I realize now that you are referring to the 90 days rule.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a hard one to nail down.... police on the road determining your length of stay.

But we have always talked about the insurance companies refusing to honor a foreign licence.
    Of course, for rented cars that doesn't apply.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Thats a hard one to nail down.... police on the road determining your length of stay.

But we have always talked about the insurance companies refusing to honor a foreign licence.
    Of course, for rented cars that doesn't apply.
    All the police has to do is look at your passport for your last entry stamp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast