Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Renting a car while in the Dominican Republic

    I want to rent an SUV while in Santo Domingo. HOwever, I have seen how people drive. I have also heard of police bribing foreigners and threatening to arrest them if they do not give money to them. Is it a good idea to rent an SUV in Santo Domingo? I will be there from next Monday until September.

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    you will be alright just drive mostly in the day

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I did exactly that before I shipped my car.

    Don't give it a second thought.

    Drive defensively in the daytime.

  4. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi:

    Driving around La Capital is a challenge. If you have never driven in the DR it will take some time to adjust to this. Make sure when you rent a car that you have the max insurance. If you are pulled over for an "inspection" play dumb, no comprende' or simply, if someone is flagging you over just wave and keep going.

    LTS

  5. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Your foreign drivers license will not be accepted legally after a certain point which I belive would be September 23.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    Your foreign drivers license will not be accepted legally after a certain point which I belive would be September 23.
    Can you explain this please?

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The last time I checked a foreigner's foreign driver's license was only accepted as a permit to drive within the Dominican Republic, for the ~90 consecutive days from the day of his entrance into the county. I apologize if this incorrect or has changed.

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    The last time I checked a foreigner's foreign driver's license was only accepted as a permit to drive within the Dominican Republic, for the ~90 consecutive days from the day of his entrance into the county. I apologize if this incorrect or has changed.
    I got confused because of the specific date, I realize now that you are referring to the 90 days rule.

  9. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    22,015
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thats a hard one to nail down.... police on the road determining your length of stay.

    But we have always talked about the insurance companies refusing to honor a foreign licence.
    Of course, for rented cars that doesn't apply.

  10. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Thats a hard one to nail down.... police on the road determining your length of stay.

    But we have always talked about the insurance companies refusing to honor a foreign licence.
    Of course, for rented cars that doesn't apply.
    All the police has to do is look at your passport for your last entry stamp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •