AMET Getting Tough

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I sure hope AMET continuous their new course of action. It was no fun at all to drive in Santo Domingo lately.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
His loyal troops have taken it to heart. I got one for entering the intersection with 10 seconds on the green and leaving it before the yellow.

I am not sure what is more dangerous: Stopping at an intersection with 10 seconds left on the clock in SD or risking a multa on the other side of the intersection.

Can you imagine the thousands of cars honking like crazy at you sitting at the intersection with 10 seconds left?

I would even go so far as to say that your life could be in danger as one of these maniacs that needs to get there now goes haywire.

LOL.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I was stopped by AMET in Cabarete yesterday for talking on my phone. But I was talking on the speaker phone! The AMET guy did not seem to care "no talking on a phone in the car" he kept saying as he scribbled out a ticket. In the US I would force it all to go to court...the person on the other end of the phone could easily testify I was on speaker...but this is the DR. Another case of "there goes a gringo in an expensive car so let's get some money" from AMET. Sigh.

Dec 26, 2011
I remember watching one of those cheaply produced political discussion programs so popular in RD about fifteen years ago and dangerous driving was the topic. I'll never forget what one panelist said: "El hombre dominicano aun no se ha evolucionado para entender el concepto del sem?foro". Deep.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They need to get tough on these assholes on Motor Bikes that never obey any traffic laws. When that happens the roads will be a lot safer.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
If only the boneheads would give tickets and enforce traffic laws to raise money instead of setting up new immigration laws that drive off tourists and visitors to their island.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Let them get tough. Considering what the traffic fines are in other countries then here you get away very lightly. Simple, you break the law, you should pay. You run a red light then you are putting my life and millions of others at risk. Seatbelts are there for a reason, they are a life saver, you use them in your own country because the law tells you you must, the same goes for here. If only the Amet started worknig at night to bust all those a--holes both on motorbikes and cars that don't have lights then we would really be getting somewhere.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I read that only 1 % of these tickets get paid to Amet.

If they don't sieze the vehicle where is the checks and balances to enforce that these tickets get paid

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
They need to get tough on these assholes on Motor Bikes that never obey any traffic laws. When that happens the roads will be a lot safer.

Almost hit 2 on a bike on the way home today.

I made a right at the intersection and the bike was going the wrong way in the right lane I was turning onto.
(Cars and bikes do that quite often here, they save a few feet of driving distance)
The street I was turning onto was 2 lanes in each direction.

They got pi$$ed at me for almost hitting them, about a foot in front of my car.

Of course they got pi$$ed at me, they are NEVER wrong here.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
It's a@@holes like that all over
Almost hit 2 on a bike on the way home today.

I made a right at the intersection and the bike was going the wrong way in the right lane I was turning onto.
(Cars and bikes do that quite often here, they save a few feet of driving distance)
The street I was turning onto was 2 lanes in each direction.

They got pi$$ed at me for almost hitting them, about a foot in front of my car.

Of course they got pi$$ed at me, they are NEVER wrong here.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I am not sure what is more dangerous: Stopping at an intersection with 10 seconds left on the clock in SD or risking a multa on the other side of the intersection.

Can you imagine the thousands of cars honking like crazy at you sitting at the intersection with 10 seconds left?

I would even go so far as to say that your life could be in danger as one of these maniacs that needs to get there now goes haywire.

LOL.

That's what I was thinking. It's bad enough stopping at a red light here.