Bye bye Iberia Bavaro, hello Super Pola!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Again this morning a problem at the door of Iberia; "normally" they open Saturdays at 8:30, not today; I was told 9am.
This is not the first time they screw up, but for me, at least, the last time!
No more Iberia for me; Howdy Super Pola!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why go there in the first place? It is a complete under stocked dump compared to Nacional and Pola.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
agreed to Sky,
they have nothing to offer what you would not get at Super Pola in usually better quality and for reasonable rates.
and the Pola is reachable from all over the area within a short drive.
Iberia in Bavaro did suck from day one when I saw the poor carekeeping of their Meats, I never went back.

Mike

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Main reason WAS that it's closer to where I live.

That is the reason some people do shop there.

This Iberia store may not be the first choice for the upwardily mobile of the Bavaro area. There is a large community of poor Haitian and Dominicans nearby in the Hoyo de Friusa and Mata Mosquitos barrios who cannot afford to transit to Super Pola or El Nacional. The store is small in comparison to its big name competitors. However, it offers a better purchasing option to the local poor whose only other choice is to shop the limited quantities and qualities of the colmados and marketas of the barrio. Iberia fills a niche.

Regards,

PJT

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
That is the reason some people do shop there.

This Iberia store may not be the first choice for the upwardly mobile of the Bavaro area. There is a large community of poor Haitian and Dominicans nearby in the Hoyo de Friusa and Mata Mosquitos barrios who cannot afford to transit to Super Pola or El Nacional. The store is small in comparison to its big name competitors. However, it offers a better purchasing option to the local poor whose only other choice is to shop the limited quantities and qualities of the colmados and markets of the barrio. Iberia fills a niche.

Regards,

PJT

I have to say I have rarely even seen those poor folks in the Iberia, but I agree it gives them a choice, but Iberia prices aren't really cheaper then Polo... I shop Iberia because its 2 minute drive from my Condo, and I have NO ISSUES with the cleanliness of their meat section although its smaller than Polo... We need a friggin LOBLAWS!!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it would be a very rare occurance to see the poor from the Hojo de Friusa etc shopping at Iberia, as they rely on shopping where they can get the daily needed small stuff Fiao, which sure is not the case at Iberia.
to live 2 minutes from Iberia means to live 12 minutes from Super Pola at the Coco Loco Crossing, for the once a week shopping a extra 10 minutes ride is no big deal to get the better rates and more important the better quality, and the larger Variety too btw.

Mike