Just arrived

George99

Jun 1, 2012
Hi fellow DR1 members,

I just arrived yesterday from Los Angeles. Any guidance would be much appreciated. I am renting in Cortecito and would like to find other tennis players and also connect with other expats here to learn the way of life here.

I am renting a condo at Bavaretto Ocean Club. I have yet to set up telephone,etc but would appreciate any and all advise.

Best Regards,

George
647-693-4337 (Magic Jack)

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Hi there George and welcome.

I can`t help you out, however lots of peeps on this forum with valuable information. They`ll find you, lol

George99

Jun 1, 2012
oops, Magic Jack didn't set up properly so no incoming calls yet (the number above belongs to someone else)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Not familiar with how well magic jack works in D.R., but iirc there have been numerous threads about phone options and alternative phone options via internet.

The suggestion I first got was to buy a cheap prepaid phone and just buy minutes as I need them. the problem with that is I'm only there for short visits a few times a year... so the minutes expire and if you don't use it within a certain time period, the whole thing expires. SO, you have to renew the phone get new sim card, and can only keep your number if it is still available when you renew the phone. on my last visit, I switched over to a monthly plan... cheapest orange plan is about 250 RD per month. pretty cheap... Still a waste of money since I'm rarely there... but I get to keep my number, etc.

Dec 26, 2011
Are you familiar with the Whats App application? It's basically free text messaging, similar to BB messaging but compatible with a much larger variety of phones. It may be useful to you.

WhatsApp Messenger