IKEA opening Plaza San Juan

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I knew IKEA was coming to town but I did not know this soon. I took this picture with my cell phone yesterday while they were putting up the store sign. I was in a rush and the store seems stocked and ready to go. Not sure when the opening day is.

IKEA.jpeg

It looks like a much smaller version of a normal sized IKEA but I'm sure you can order items they don't have from the capital just as they were doing with their small prior office at San Juan.

Feb 7, 2007
I think it will be just a warehouse for the most in-demand items.... Impossible to carry even 10% of the stock the SD Ikea has...

George99

Jun 1, 2012
Hi. I just arrived and need groceries, shampoo,etc. How do I get to Plaza San Juan from Bavaretto Ocean Club?
Thanks
George

Dec 26, 2011
Hi. I just arrived and need groceries, shampoo,etc. How do I get to Plaza San Juan from Bavaretto Ocean Club?
Thanks
George

Go to the rotonda that intersects Ave. Barcelo and go left. Plaza San Juan will be on your left. Impossible to miss. Pizza Hut in the parking lot.

Zulu

May 27, 2012
More Furniture stores! people in the D.R are obsessed with furniture i am sure they will make a killing, the one in Santo Domingo is doing great.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Saw on Facebook that the new store opened today. So, who's going to be the first DR1er to rush over and report what they found? :D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is it a regular store or a distribution centre? they have one in santiago too...

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
if just warehouse, it is a really good step forward for the area! all warehouse I had to buy, was in Higuey, no way to buy here as Pola or new Iberia has few or nothing ...

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
mmmm, they are going to have those delicious swedish meatballs with noodles for $1.99!!
I also like the swedish girls, mmm.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I was in the order desk store inside the plaza last week. Didn't see that store in the pic. I must have been blind to miss that, (if it's in Plaza San Juan).

The experience at the order desk was a good one. Helpful staff, ordered a few items, and they were there for pick up the next day. (Don't think it's always a next day delivery though... probably just hit the schedule on the right day.)

Fast and efficient... nice!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I went, I saw... It's more than a sales office/punto de entrega. It's a largish showroom with several sections - kitchen, bedroom, office, living room, etc. with a large warehouse area behind. The difference from a proper store, apart from the absence of the restaurant, is that you don't go around with a trolley picking out the items you want to buy. You choose your purchases and then pick them up from the warehouse entrance, with the exception of some of the small items, e.g non-stick frying pans for RD$190 (IIRC). The warehouse is actually empty at the moment so it looks like they still need to stock up. The staff were very welcoming and helpful.

Who knows, maybe if it goes well they will expand into a proper Ikea store.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Home Depot Coming next or maybe a Lowes? Say Good Bye to all those Horrid Dominican Contractors. Hello do it yourself..