What happens now if someone wants to stay for between 5 and 6 months in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have a very specific question about the new migration laws and did not want this go get lost in the overall migration thread. Someone wants to stay in the DR between 5 and 6 months. They do not want to become residents. What is the simplest way they can do this?

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
This is a quote from another thread where b0nkers posted the response he got from Guzman law firm to a similar question:

Thank you for your interest in our service. We would be more than happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, the Decree (631-11) which establishes the new regulations for the Immigration Law have been enforced from June 1st. This Decree was passed on October 19th, 2011 and at this moment, the Migration Department constantly changes its criteria of application of some rules set forth by Law 285-04 and its Regulations. It's better to wait until the Migration Department confirms how these new rules will be enforced. This might save you time, expenses and efforts as right now we are still on transition phase with an evident conflict between previous rules and new ones.

However, according with the information that you have provided, please find below the provisions that the Decree establishes (Arts. 82-83) for your case:

Due to you're canadian citizen, at this moment, you don't need a tourist visa. Therefore, the tourist card will be enough for you to stay legally in Dominican Republic. However, the Decree establishes that the maximum stay for any tourist person is sixty (60) days, and in order to complete all the requirements, you will need:

-Passport, with at least six months of validity;
-Air, sea or land tickets for the revenue and the return to your country;
-An address in the Dominican Republic;
-Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in the Dominican Republic.

During your stay at the Dominican Republic, you have the right to apply for a extended stay for sixty (60) days more. In order to do this, you will need:

-Passport, with at least six months of validity, stating to count from the date of the extended stay;
-Air, sea or land tickets for the return to your country;
-An address in the Dominican Republic;
-Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in the Dominican Republic;
-Medical certificate issued by a licensed physician with the appropriate exequatur;
-Forms and legal fees.

Finally, you can only apply once for the extended stay.

If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

May 29, 2006
Wondering if anyone knows of an incident where someone has actually been deported to the US or Canada for overstaying their visit, unless they were arrested for something else.. With maybe a half million Haitians in the country without any papers at all and little to no money, there are bigger fish to fry.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I have a very specific question about the new migration laws and did not want this go get lost in the overall migration thread. Someone wants to stay in the DR between 5 and 6 months. They do not want to become residents. What is the simplest way they can do this?
Just stay
Bob

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
This is a quote from another thread where b0nkers posted the response he got from Guzman law firm to a similar question:

During your stay at the Dominican Republic, you have the right to apply for a extended stay for sixty (60) days more. In order to do this, you will need:

Proof of sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your stay in the Dominican Republic

I'm very curious about this one, how is this supposed to be done...........
and who determines the amount necessary for each and every individual.............
Or will there be a preset amount for everyone, or will it go by age.............or height....lol
Are they supposed to come with a pocketful of cash and pull it out for everyone to see..........
The thieves that follow people from the airports will get rich with this set-up............

B in Santiago

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I'm very curious about this one, how is this supposed to be done...........
and who determines the amount necessary for each and every individual.............
Or will there be a preset amount for everyone, or will it go by age.............or height....lol
Are they supposed to come with a pocketful of cash and pull it out for everyone to see..........
The thieves that follow people from the airports will get rich with this set-up............

B in Santiago

Japan, Panama and many other countries have this same policy in place with little problems for the most part where it applies.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Excellent thread...exactly my concern. I want to arrive late October, go home for Christmas, arrive again in late January until early April. I will have sufficient funds but in my bank account. The first leg is within the 60 days but the second leg could be 90 days....will they let me do it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will repeat my original question

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

So far from everything I've read, there is no way.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a very specific question about the new migration laws and did not want this go get lost in the overall migration thread. Someone wants to stay in the DR betereween 5 and 6 months. They do not want to become residents. What is the simplest way they can do this?

In the other thread there was talk of a new visa for people who want to stay longer than 60 days but don't want to get residency. But no details have been given on that.

I think your question is premature. I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer at this time.

However, no doubt it is an important question and there will have to be an answer that works for all the people who own property they want to occupy for part of every year.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Japan, Panama and many other countries have this same policy in place with little problems for the most part where it applies.
NO NO not Panama. There is a guy from the USA living in Panama for over 6 years now on a passport. Panama I think he told me you can be in Panama for 6 months on a visa. Sometimes he comes back to the USA but he and his family just fly over to Costa Rica for a week and return to Panama City. The guy can talk his way out of anything. Once we parked in front of the French Embassy in Casco Viejo and I knew we going to be in trouble because signs are everywhere. We were only gone for 5 mins, and when we returned 2 policemen were standing next to the car. He started talking to them and within 30 seconds they were laughing like old buddies.

Many of you have been living in the Dominican Republic for YEARS and some of you do not know how to talk your way into staying 6 months to a year in the DR. What happen to all the talk about is not what you know but who you know.

In a NUTSHELL the Dominican Republic is letting all NON Dominicans know you are either a TOURIST or a RESIDENT no more gray in this issue.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So far from everything I've read, there is no way.

In the other thread there was talk of a new visa for people who want to stay longer than 60 days but don't want to get residency. But no details have been given on that.

I think your question is premature. I doubt anyone can give you a definitive answer at this time.

However, no doubt it is an important question and there will have to be an answer that works for all the people who own property they want to occupy for part of every year.

Ken, I understand your point, but my question is not premature because people want to know the answer to that very question and they would like that answer now.

Feb 7, 2007
Well, as far as NOW you can still pay exit fee or extend your stay at DGM in SD under OLD rule. Seen that last Thursday.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
i would do it on the tourist card. when you are leaving at the airport expect to pay a thousand bucks. if you are very unlucky, thanx to the new immigration law, you will be deported from a third world country back to a first world country where you can eat lots of food and drink the tap water without dying. imean if they deported you back to a rich country from their super poor one just make sire you get it ob tape so you can send it to the worlds dumbest video show on tv.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I guess we have to wait till a snowbird that hasn't returned home yet gets caught at the airport and tells us what happened.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
This has to be one of the supidest situations I have ever witnessed....only in the DR would there be such a confused situation over something so important. Did they not think this out before enacting it? I thought you put a law together, inform every one, then enact it?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
At the moment in Sosua when Politure and Immigration pick up illegal Haitians, they bring them back to the station, tell them they have to pay 1000 pesos and then release them. If they don't pay the 1000 pesos, they bring back to the border. This goes on every few months. It's a cash and corrupt society so I doubt any official deportation for over staying will happen. Probably more of a threat than anything.

Friends of mine were in Santo Domingo to get their residency a few fridays ago. The girl at the window told them that they couldn't do anything that particular day because they had new rules and the director had the day off. Nobody knew what exactly was being implemented.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
In Panama and other Latin countries where you can stay for 3 -6 months as a tourists most people just schedulell a trip to the border of a neighbouring country and exit and re enter but according to Pichardo this will be a no no as well here. I cant see why I used to travel top the USA sometimnes 2 times a month for business. The DR might just het its wish and get alll us low life job stealing expats out and be left with ???????????????

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
About 20 plus years ago my country became a hot spot for exempt companies because there were no taxes (but everything is damn exspensive) These companies bought expats in to work as well as locals working in thier office buildings this created a serious boom in the economy along with tourism the country was doing good. Now I must say my country is nothing like the DR it is very exspensive mostly middle to upper class people we all travel etc etc. As the countries focus went more to the exempt companies our tourism product started to fall behind no longer did locals want to work in hotels everyone wantted to be accountants and laywers. In 2005 the current Govenment decided to put term limits on these compainies and thier expat workers. Now thanks to the term limits as well as the recession alot of these companies have oacked up and moved on to other more welcoming countries taking the expat workers with them. What was the result of this you may ask locals stuck with million dollar mortgages and no exempt companies paying the big rents no expats eating out buying cars or bikes etc etc crime is starting to rise as more locals find them selves out of work people are losing houses and people that are working are not spending like they used to. We still have a tourist industry but it pales in comparison to other countrues or what it used to be now the country is trying to play catch up and also eliminating the term limits trying to attract more exempt companies to come back to the country. Now I know the situation is different in the DR but with crime on the rise corruption at a all time high lack of a proper infrastructure lack of education lack of a proper police force now with the new immigration laws the DR (especially the North coast ) will now experience the affects of the loss of the expat $$$.