Delivery from commercial website

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi, how does it go when you buy something from a commercial website (dominican and foreign)
How about the delivery, custom duties, delays... :)
:)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi, how does it go when you buy something from a commercial website (dominican and foreign)
How about the delivery, custom duties, delays... :)
:)

It matters a great deal what the article is, how much it weighs, its price and also what company you use to bring in the item. For example, anything that is under $200 US in value is supposed to enter duty free.

However, let's say you buy a 32inch TV that is $199.99 US from TigerDirect, it may have an arbitrary price assigned to it at customs and you may pay a hefty duty.

if you provide more information on what you want to purchase, better answers can be provided. All the above is about bringing something into the country from outside. I have no experience ordering something from within the DR, but there would be no duty involved if you did.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What I do, is ship to the mudanza (mine is Awilda) and they ship it tax/duty free.

My lawn mower came from Lowe's that way - $400 or so mower arrived at my door after frre shipping from Lowe's

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It was $110 in shipping.

The mudanza works magic in a few ways:
e.g. mine charges $100 more to ship a new 'fridge vs shipping a used one
I wonder where that $100 goes ??

I solved that problem bybuying at Sears Scratch and Dent.
Looked like used....The driver even commented that b/c of the dents, customs passed it as used.

I ship 2 - 3 times a year... huge boxes last time - 8'x4'x4' full of everything
Othertimes, just a box or two. but always Mott's Clamato juice inside !!

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
worst case scenerio ?

I bought a 32 inch flat at newegg for 188$ on black friday,reg 399 ,I opened an account with a fla. shipper transexpress
piece of cake,so far so good
shipping cost 85$
estimated shipping time 10 days lol
except it went to SD instead of Sosua ,sat in customs till march ,after wiring money into an another account for tax title and license 130$

was finally released to my dear sister in march
I do believe that if you have a cedula and an account at a local bank
things will be smoother
good luck
Manu

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
worst case scenerio ?

I bought a 32 inch flat at newegg for 188$ on black friday,reg 399 ,I opened an account with a fla. shipper transexpress
piece of cake,so far so good
shipping cost 85$
estimated shipping time 10 days lol
except it went to SD instead of Sosua ,sat in customs till march ,after wiring money into an another account for tax title and license 130$

was finally released to my dear sister in march
I do believe that if you have a cedula and an account at a local bank
things will be smoother
good luck
Manu

As I mentioned, the DR customs is not transparent and will set their own price when they want to.

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
I shipped a box with 25kg with standard post service and customs asked for 500RDS before inspection. After inspection it was still the same price, so I guess it depends on what is inside.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we ship small and cheap items via EPS, never a problem. larger and more expensive things travel with vinicio's shipping, he deals with taxes and duty, we just pay for the item itself plus vinicio's rate. sometimes we need to wait a bit: if the item is small but costly we wait until he ships a whole container. again, never had a problem.