Skin In DR

Luz del Carmen

Jun 21, 2012
Is it just me or does anyone else experience major acne outbreaks when they go to DR?

I feel like every time I go (usually twice a year), I not only come back darker but also with a pimple farm on my face.

Advice?

:hurt:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Is it just me or does anyone else experience major acne outbreaks when they go to DR?

I feel like every time I go (usually twice a year), I not only come back darker but also with a pimple farm on my face.

Advice?

:hurt:

Stay away from the Sankies. You seem to have a an allergic reaction to them. hahahahahaha :)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Probably dehydration as that often causes outbreaks. Drink more non alcoholic fluids!

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chocolate, coffee, perhaps the fried foods??? Lots of oils in Dominican cooking. And I did not know that dehydration could cause an outbreak!

Also nerves, stress: The traveling (Will I be on time? Will the airplane leave on time, will they be there to get me? etc etc__) basically all the b.s. you have to go through to travel these days...all that plays havoc with your tummy...and gets reflected on you face...

Good luck!

HB

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
If your using a face cream that could be a problem. The creams you use at home my react different here due to the heat and humidity. Happens to me the first few days I am back from the US. I use a less heavy cream here than the one I would use in the US. Try cleaning your face a couple times a day with a cotton ball soaked with some facial toner (astringent). As others have said watch the food and drink plenty of water.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I never let the shower water touch my face in the DR. I put it on with my hands. The shower water makes my skin break out in the Dominican Republic immediately. I guess it is harder and different fromt he water in the USA.

Zulu

May 27, 2012
Apparently the humidity is good for your skin, drink more water, plus eat a lot of fruits & like they said stay away from the fried foods "Pollo con fritas no mas por favor."

Dec 26, 2011
I never let the shower water touch my face in the DR. I put it on with my hands. The shower water makes my skin break out in the Dominican Republic immediately. I guess it is harder and different fromt he water in the USA.

There's a lot of nasty stuff in the untreated water. Don't just worry about your face. It could also give you a nasty infection in your mangina.

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
Full disclosure: I have not yet traveled to the DR - I arrive on August 15.

But, I understand sugarcane juice is available in some areas. If you can get it, drink it for sure. Also dip a cloth in it and some lemon or lime juice and apply to your face. Guaranteed to right whatever wrongs you are experiencing.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Dermatologist

If you are traveling to this tropical island from a temperate or cooler home climate the rapid temperature, humidy changes, and a strong sun can be an insult to the body not accustomed to the environment. The change can be so rapid the body's natural processes cannot acclimatize to it immediately. It wlll expel toxins and pathogens as rapidly as possible and one of the routes is through the pores of the face. What now happens and most probably in the original poster's case is the detoxification process is so quick the pores cannot keep up with the chore and become blocked to create the blemishes and/or made worse by creams or lotions meant for sun protection that further occlude the pores.

The poster should consult a dermatologist to find the root cause of the problem and methods to prevent it.

Regards,

PJT

sarah1101

Apr 27, 2012
United States
Soap and water can make your skin break out because it can over dry the skin and irritate it.
No way that soap and water will make you break out.
HB

While this is true you dont want to go out in the sun with this juice on your face because it can cause serious sunburn! best to use it inside the home or in the evening...
Also dip a cloth in it and some lemon or lime juice and apply to your face. Guaranteed to right whatever wrongs you are experiencing.

I love (LOVE) tea tree oil, i use it as a toner after i shower and it clears any breakouts w/i a day. But this oil will also dry out your skin while it is getting use to it so at first I would recomend only using it for spot treat ments or every 2 days, just rub it on with a clean cotton ball. You can get tea tree oil in the drug store by the vitamins or first aid supplies, some stores are different, it will most likely be in a 1 once brown glass bottle.