Best/Most Scenic areas to visit in the DR

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I'm living in Cabarete, near the end of my stay here in DR, and have a small block of time of around 1 week to travel. Suggestions as to places in the DR I should get to?? Have been to Samana Peninsula many times and Santo Domingo, but not many other places. I like more out of the way areas- Las Galeras is much more appealing to me than Las Terrenas. Also fond of areas with interesting rock formations and small beaches like Playa Fronton in Samana. Oh, have also been to Punta Rucia- nice!! thanks, tom

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you haven't been to the south west, go now. The coastline after Barahona, Bah?a de las Aguilas in Pedernales and the Sierra de Bahoruco are famous for their beauty, but the mountains in San Juan province (Vallejuelo, Jorgillo, Hondo Valle) are lesser-known gems.

Dec 26, 2011
I second the southwest. It feels like an entirely different country. Go all the way to Lago Enriquillo if you get the chance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you should go from where you are to Dajabon and down the International Highway to Banica, one of the oldest cities in the DR, a former redoubt against French incursions in the 17th and 18th centuries. Then to Las Matas de Farfan, San Juan de la Maguana and down into Azua, but turning right towards Barahona and the Southwest.

The area around Restauraci?n is like some of the hills of North Carolina with pine forests and a breeze that carries the smell of pines for miles.

Gonna be an interesting week...

HB