Bank Withdrawal

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
If I open a bank account in DR, will I be able to go to the teller to take out money with a copy of my passport or will I need the original?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
just to keep yourself out of problem I would use the original ""always""....I tried to use a copy when making a payment via debit card at Banco Popular - they would not accept the copy even though they know me as a local customer.

I'm not positive but you might need a cedula to open an account also, which means you have to have at least provisional residency first.

I find it much easier overall to just use my atm/debit card for cash withdraws instead.

Karlheinz

dropshort

May 18, 2008
May I suggest that request and use an ATM Card.

Now do you still have a problem? I have a card that can use in North America.

Cheers DS

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
I asked this, because a friend of mine recently opened a bank account in DR. When he was issued the ATM card, he tried to use it, and the machine took it.

After a long debate with the bank employees, who did not want to help him,the bank manager told him the reason the machine took the ATM is because it thought this was fraud.

He said no one uses their ATM Card in DR because of the high conversion rates from dollar to peso.

(he has a dollarized account) I just realized as I am writting this, that if he had a peso account, the machine would probably not eat his card.