Flying in the DR - Flight Schools, Airplane Rentals etc.

Scott.cc

Jun 27, 2012
I am moving to the Punta Cana area in August and would like to travel the country. I have my private pilots license in the USA and I would like to find a place where I can rent a small plane (Cessna 172/182 or similar) so that I can travel around to the various other cities.

Does anyone know of a place at the Punta Cana airport where I can rent a plane? If not, are there flight schools in other area such as Santo Domingo where I can rent a plane?

flydr2

Feb 17, 2006
You may want to try Zoherka (I think that's how it's written) This is a flight school in SD and Santiago.
The owner is Italian. I don't have the number but a google search should do it.

I'm presently in Africa and should be back home in a few weeks (Barahona)... I'll take you up if you want... I'm always looking for someone to fly with.
I have a Thorp t-18 and fly allot to the Bahamas, USA, Canada... All for fun no commercial here.

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Is a private FAA license recognized in DR? Won't you have to convert it to ICAO? I wasn't allowed to fly in Guatemala until I converted.

Scott.cc

Jun 27, 2012
I'll look them up when I get there... I am hoping to maybe stumble across someone in Punta Cana who keeps a plane there or La Romana who wants to take on a partner or sell me a block of hours...

And yes, look me up when you get back! I love to fly!

flydr2

Feb 17, 2006
To rent you will have to get your license validated... The process takes about a month. I forget the cost but it was not expensive.

Geoman

Dec 12, 2009
Sounds like fun,

You may want to try Zoherka (I think that's how it's written) This is a flight school in SD and Santiago.
The owner is Italian. I don't have the number but a google search should do it.

I'm presently in Africa and should be back home in a few weeks (Barahona)... I'll take you up if you want... I'm always looking for someone to fly with.
I have a Thorp t-18 and fly allot to the Bahamas, USA, Canada... All for fun no commercial here.

If you are looking for some one to share the fuel let me know. I have no experience, buat am interested in learning to fly. Tom

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know there is a Flight School in the GA terminal at STI.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Don't know much about the GA scene at PUJ, not much by all accounts. Most of the GA seems concentrated at Higuero Joaquin Balaguer in Santo Domingo. You might be able to rent a plane there.

Have at look at this website re flying in the DR FLY DOMINiCAN REPUBLIC | Dominican Republic Airports Information It's a little out of date but has some pertinent facts nevertheless.

We're in POP and have a C172 (not for rent sadly) but if ever you're in the area give me a shout.

Cyril

Aug 19, 2017
Hello
As part of a personal photo project i would need to do some aerial photography in the D.R. (North of Santo Domingo)
I would be looking for a pilot + Cessna 172 or equivalent plane (high wing). Anybody could suggest a relevant local contact for this ??
Many Thanks !!
C.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I am moving to the Punta Cana area in August and would like to travel the country. I have my private pilots license in the USA and I would like to find a place where I can rent a small plane (Cessna 172/182 or similar) so that I can travel around to the various other cities.

Does anyone know of a place at the Punta Cana airport where I can rent a plane? If not, are there flight schools in other area such as Santo Domingo where I can rent a plane?

Hello and welcome!

I asked some friends that are studing for PP, they told me that Zoherga in SD is good school, and about renting hrs with your licence from USA the plane must have regisration from USA (N) and all planes in our schools  has Dominican registration (HI).

Im part of a group of spotters, inthe group are ATC, Pilos and people that like planes as me.  If you are planning to move here join us on facebook search for Dominican Plane Spotters, its a closed group.  About prices renting 1 hr is 135.00 US

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Not heard about any rentals in the PUJ area.
As others have said, Santiago or Santo Domingo Higuero airport would be the best bet.
Any requirement for a FAA reg private plane please PM me or Beeza..

lucase

Jan 28, 2018
How can I validate US PPL?

To rent you will have to get your license validated... The process takes about a month. I forget the cost but it was not expensive.

Hello,
I plan to fly in DR on the beginning of march. How can I validate my US PPL?

Thanks,
Lucas

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Fly school in Santo Domingo Herrera Airport/Joaquin Balaguer

Herrera Airport not loger exist. By the way on Feb 11 will be a Flyin inside the Dominican Air Force facilities in San Isidro, will be totally free. Im almost sure that scholls will be there. Im planning to visit with a group of friends, we take pictures and videos to airplanes.

Sep 4, 2012
Herrera Airport not loger exist. By the way on Feb 11 will be a Flyin inside the Dominican Air Force facilities in San Isidro, will be totally free. Im almost sure that scholls will be there. Im planning to visit with a group of friends, we take pictures and videos to airplanes.

Notice that I slashed it \ with Joaquin Balaguer. Although no longer exist under the Herrera name, many folks still know it by it as of date. I believe the EN took over it for military flight operations of the EN Air CAV