A trip to Santo Domingo to look into the new Immigration regulations: Read this

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The lowdown on what to expect at Migraci?n.....

I went to Santo Domingo today to interview an extremely knowledgeable person on the requirements of this new and quite confusing set of immigration regulations. It boils down to just a few ideas:

1) If you have your permanent residency card and your c?dula, you will continue to renew just like always. No problems are foreseen in this area. Just be sure that you begin the renewal process about two months before the due date that is stamped on your card.

2) Those that have Temporary Residency will probably have to jump through hoops on more than one occasion. It appears that in order to sift through the background checks and such, the people at Migration will issue more than one renewal of the Temporary Residence Permit. My person said that maybe as many as three times.
There are exceptions: Rentistas, Pensionados and so forth might be ushered in after one year of Temporary Residency.

3) There is a two-month window, people, that will close in August, for those persons who entered the DR on a tourist visa, to file for Residence status. After that time the poo hits the fan and you will have to leave, be fined or whatever they decide.

4) Anyone who plans on living in the DR will have to obtains a ?Residence Visa? at the DR consulate in their home countries before coming to the DR. Then they can start the paperwork. For those that are here already, that clock is ticking to file now or you will have to leave the country and return with one of the visas.

Since Papa knows best, you can PM me for some good pointers.

Cordially, a very tired HB?.who drove there and back?not bad except for KM 9 and those a$$holes looking for fares and that oh-so-stupid light in Piedra Blanca. There also seemed to be a large number of people in the fast lane that did not know it was supposed to be the fast lane.

HB

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I hope that window is at the end of August :)

I have to return to Canada and get my stamped birth certificate and police report, then hand them into my employer. I'm hoping to get into Canada August 1st at the earliest.

Thanks for the information!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What a trooper.... terrible drive.

I think you may have helped many people. Good for you.

We'll see what develops

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
HB said "3) There is a two-month window, people, that will close in August, for those persons who entered the DR on a tourist visa, to file for Residence status. After that time the poo hits the fan and you will have to leave, be fined or whatever they decide."

I'm wondering where this info comes from. The latest word I got from Guzman and Guzman (June 27th) stated emphatically that "It is not longer possible to start the residency application process in DR." I'm thinking that the two month window is for those who have already started the process but not completed everything.

I too will have to go back to the states to get this process started unfortunately.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JEFF:
KARLHEINZ:

If you are in the country NOW, even on a tourist visa, GO TO SANTO DOMINGO ASAP AND SEE THIS PERSON. YOU CAN START (REPEAT: START) THE PROCESS .

Once the process is started, then you can gather all the papers.

I will have the exact date this two month period is up tomorrow some time.

If you leave and want to get your Residency, you will need to do it at a Dominican consulate. The same papers the same stuff. This can be avoided by starting the process now.

Hope this is clear. PM me is you want to consult this lawyer...she is not a shyster in any way shape or form...

HB

Last edited:

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
JEFF:
KARLHEINZ:

If you are in the country NOW, even on a tourist visa, GO TO SANTO DOMINGO ASAP AND SEE THIS PERSON. YOU CAN START (REPEAT: START) THE PROCESS .

Once the process is started, then you can gather all the papers.

I will have the exact date this two month period is up tomorrow some time.

If you leave and want to get your Residency, you will need to do it at a Dominican consulate. The same papers the same stuff. This can be avoid by starting the process now.

Hope this is clear. PM me is you want to consult this lawyer...she is not a shyster in any way shape or form...

HB

Seen that just now, posted 9:31 PM, shows up on my PC 11:22PM...
Who might be this person one must see to get it started?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You need faster internet service...but a lot of that going around now. I answered your PM

HB

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for the help HB, will let you know what the lawyer says when I get a chance to speak to her.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
3) There is a two-month window, people, that will close in August, for those persons who entered the DR on a tourist visa, to file for Residence status. After that time the poo hits the fan and you will have to leave, be fined or whatever they decide.
Is this absolutely certain? Apparently it's not what people in that situation are being told when they consult lawyers.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Follow HB's advice. Resist procrastination. Remember the saying "The best way to get something done is to begin".

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I renewed my residency this year in April. My expiry was june.
Renewed w/o a problem.

Cedulas, on the other hand , are driven by your birthday and it is my understanding that they cannot be renewed before the expiry date.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The lowdown on what to expect at Migraci?n.....

I went to Santo Domingo today to interview an extremely knowledgeable person on the requirements of this new and quite confusing set of immigration regulations. It boils down to just a few ideas:

1) If you have your permanent residency card and your c?dula, you will continue to renew just like always. No problems are foreseen in this area. Just be sure that you begin the renewal process about two months before the due date that is stamped on your card.

2) Those that have Temporary Residency will probably have to jump through hoops on more than one occasion. It appears that in order to sift through the background checks and such, the people at Migration will issue more than one renewal of the Temporary Residence Permit. My person said that maybe as many as three times.
There are exceptions: Rentistas, Pensionados and so forth might be ushered in after one year of Temporary Residency.

4) Anyone who plans on living in the DR will have to obtains a ?Residence Visa? at the DR consulate in their home countries before coming to the DR. Then they can start the paperwork. For those that are here already, that clock is ticking to file now or you will have to leave the country and return with one of the visas.

Since Papa knows best, you can PM me for some good pointers.

Cordially, a very tired HB?.who drove there and back?not bad except for KM 9 and those a$$holes looking for fares and that oh-so-stupid light in Piedra Blanca. There also seemed to be a large number of people in the fast lane that did not know it was supposed to be the fast lane.

HB

Excellent news as again i am being punished through th temporary process- I applied for first temp 2 years ago-fast track thru lawyer-it was just completed 2 months ago...They had every excuse in the world of course. i should have my permanent by now but because of those idiots i guess i have to jump thru more hoops as well next year

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I renewed my residency this year in April. My expiry was june.
Renewed w/o a problem.

Cedulas, on the other hand , are driven by your birthday and it is my understanding that they cannot be renewed before the expiry date.

Now both expire at the same time. It was like that earlier but when I renewed last time it was changed.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Now both expire at the same time. It was like that earlier but when I renewed last time it was changed.

I was told the same when I renewed early 2011 my permanent Residency and the Cedula(both at different Months but coincedencely the same year), I have then renewed first the Residency for 10 years at a Time expiring early 2021, so automatically they renewed a couple months later at the JCE my cedula for a 10 Times Period, now valid til 2021 like the Residency, but NOT on the same Date, the new Cedula also states printed below the expiration Year "vence dia nacimiento ano", so i need to renew my residencia early 2021 near/shortly before the extact expiration Date printed on the Card and the same Year my Cedula on Sept 18th/or shortly After(not possible before the exp date) as that is my B-Day.

great Info HB,
thanks for that valuable Info, as usual

Mike