best sectors to live in santo domingo DN

lamayimba

Jun 28, 2012
hello folks! im new to this website, and I need some recommendations regarding living in santo domingo DN. I'll be renting an apartment in december of this year, and I need to know where are the best areas that you would recommend to rent an apartment in santo domingo.

I want to live in a secure area, and as I dont have a car, I dont want to live in a place where I would have to walk a mile to get public transportation

I would really appreicate it

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
for that kind of money (assuming this is dollars instead of pesos) you could have the most luxurious place in the country. If 25,000 pesos (roughly US$ 645) - you could find something very nice and comfortable. Since you don't have a car I would recommend the colonial zone or gazcue.....both are very nice areas and close to all the amenities.

lamayimba

Jun 28, 2012
I mean I'm willing to pay $25,000 dominican pesos for an apartment hahaha, my budget umm i dont know yet, like my mom has an apartment in santo domingo este, she is renting, but I would like to move to santo domingo DN. I live in Miami, but Im going to be traveling to DR more than twice in the year, like I'm not gonna live there full time, I'm gonna study here in Miami, but i love to be in DR for vacations, andadera, you know, but just for leisure, if I live there is going to be for a short period of time. my mom has some furnitures like muebles, un comedor, but she doesnt wanna sell them, so I got no choice hehe

recycle

Jun 28, 2012
best areas

hello folks! im new to this website, and I need some recommendations regarding living in santo domingo DN. I'll be renting an apartment in december of this year, and I need to know where are the best areas that you would recommend to rent an apartment in santo domingo.

I want to live in a secure area, and as I dont have a car, I dont want to live in a place where I would have to walk a mile to get public transportation

I would really appreicate it

Best areas:

- Mirador sur and Calle Enriquillo zone
- Arroyo Hondo
- Piantini
- Naco
- El Million
- Bellavista
- Evaristo Morales

Gazcue is very downgraded in the last years, forget East Santo Domingo

Taxi fares in downtown area are RD$ 150 (4dollars), is easy to spend a fortune going daily back and forth with it. Then, there's public taxi: really unconfortable, they have no air conditioning and drivers fill these little japanese cars with 7/8 people as you share with others your travel. In the day the distances and the temperatures does not pertmit you to walk anywhere and, for security reason, please dont walk in the street at night.

you dont have a car? this is not your city...

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Jeff, what is your transport in santo domingo? motoconcho - russian roulette? Not for me, I love my life

I work at home mostly, if I have to go to the office I can walk 15 minutes.
I live in Piantini, I can walk to the supermarket, malls, restaurants.

If I want to go to Zona Colonial, most of my friends drive, or I'll take a cab.
I have probably been in public cars less than 5 times, and a moto once in from sosua to cabarete ;)

lamayimba

Jun 28, 2012
Best areas:

- Mirador sur and Calle Enriquillo zone
- Arroyo Hondo
- Piantini
- Naco
- El Million
- Bellavista
- Evaristo Morales

Gazcue is very downgraded in the last years, forget East Santo Domingo

Taxi fares in downtown area are RD$ 150 (4dollars), is easy to spend a fortune going daily back and forth with it. Then, there's public taxi: really unconfortable, they have no air conditioning and drivers fill these little japanese cars with 7/8 people as you share with others your travel. In the day the distances and the temperatures does not pertmit you to walk anywhere and, for security reason, please dont walk in the street at night.

you dont have a car? this is not your city...

the thing is that I live in Miami. I'm going to be traveling to the DR as I said like 3 times in the year, My family lives in the USA, and I don't own a car there, because i don't live there. i might buy one after my first year, but in the meantime, i'm not going to buy a car if I'm gonna be staying for a few weeks, and then come back to MIA.

but thanks a lot for your advise. i thought Gazcue was a nice area :(

lamayimba

Jun 28, 2012
I was mugged there twice, both times in plain daylight!

really!!!??? omg, thats the thing, i wanna live in an area in which, ok, i know sto. dgo is not like Miami, but at least i want to walk, go to restaurants nearby, if i need to take a cab, i might do it, just for my first year,

lamayimba

Jun 28, 2012
thank you guys so much for sharing. what about Mirador Norte, ensanche quisqueya, and El Millon??

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I have family who live in EL Millon.It is within walking distance to lots of restaurants en la 27 de febrero,and el
Ensanche Quisqueya.Will be moving there myself in a few months.You say you like to walk? you can walk to El
Mirador del Sur, it's about 35 min from there.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Los Cacicazgos is about the best area in the city, no barrios, well maintained, just a bit far from the commercial center. I used to live in av. Enriquillo, paid 30,000 pesos for a 240m2 apartment. I'm sure you can find for 25k as well, not in the fancy towers but in the 15-20 year old buildings you will find that.

I also like the area around Nunez de Caceres: Las Praderas, Los Prados, Castellana, Los Millones, closer to everything, Nunuez de Caceres is being transformed in a attractive commercial area and you would be able to find lower rents there.

I have always liked the area behind super mercado Bravo in av. Churchill (between Defillo and Churchill. I think that's called La Julieta. But it's all houses there, probably starting at 1500 dollars if for rent, and you have u barrio very close by.

Piantini, Seralles, Naco are good and secure places to live. I don't like it because of the daily traffic jams right in front of your door if you live there, but when not planning to have a car it a good option