Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Teaching english

Are there any teaching esl jobs in the dominican republic that are not volunteer?

Post Thanks / Like

Of course there are. Lots of them. But you need to be here to get one or two or three of them.

You will need at least two to make ends meet.

And be sure you have some qualifications beyond speaking English...

HB

Moderator DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Like where? I called about 10 schools and asked. I also visited about 5 of them.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody know of any private schools to apply to for English teaching or teaching in English jobs in Santo Domingo? I have a Masters in Linguistics and a TESOL Certificate and have taught in 6 countries. Thank you. Richard

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I was curious to know how in demand one on one teaching English is. Recently I obtained my CELTA and I have a BA in English. Dou you think 300 pesos an hour is a decent way to start getting students? Where would be a good place to advertise the service.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KJS73 View Post
    I was curious to know how in demand one on one teaching English is. Recently I obtained my CELTA and I have a BA in English. Dou you think 300 pesos an hour is a decent way to start getting students? Where would be a good place to advertise the service.

Thanks so much for any advice!
    Make some flyers and plaster the college notice boards, canteen, car park and fences.
    I think you'd be better off taking evening classes in groups of 4 over maybe 2-3-1/2 hours and charging RD1000, in the capital anyway. I'm almost sure that was wha my neighbour used to do.

Is one on one a good method for teaching English? I would have thought group sessions were much more rewarding for the students, and you.

7. Likes KJS73 liked this post