Where to get Peanut Oil

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I have looked at Nacional (Santo Domingo and Santiago), Pricesmart, Playero and other places around the island seeking peanut oil. It's tolerance for high temperatures is what I seek for some fried foods.

Does anyone know where Peanut Oil may be located? I prefer not to have to smoosh all of the peanuts I grow on my farm for a few teaspoons of the stuff since I need it by the gallon!

Thanks!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I'm going to the states in October and I'm shipping back a small Chinese wok stove with a couple gallons of peanut oil.
If you can wait, I'll throw in a gallon or 2 for you.....................shipping will still be the same price......
I think there's a 125 lb max in the one box...........

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I'm going to the states in October and I'm shipping back a small Chinese wok stove with a couple gallons of peanut oil.
If you can wait, I'll throw in a gallon or 2 for you.....................shipping will still be the same price......
I think there's a 125 lb max in the one box...........

B in Santiago

It would be advisable to send in a barrel, those boxes do get some rough treatment.
Otherwise you may end up with a Peanut Oil soaked box.

D in Santiago

May 29, 2006
Peanut oil is good if you need to fry at 400 or more, but corn oil is also good for deep frying. Most US restaurants use canola, which is cheaper, but tends to break down a bit faster than corn oil. Maybe refined coconut oil would work? I've never tried it because of the price. "Salad" oils break down very fast.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOTE: Most companies that ship boxes or barrels, ask you to keep the oil outside the box. My last delivery included a large supply of peanut oil, but it was shipped separately, not IN the box.

That is the best way: Find a person you can trust to do your buying and shipping from South Florida and make regular shipments of those things that make your life more enjoyable.

A box every two months is like having extra Christmases...it is fun for everyone.

PM me if you need help..

( I just checked: Mine is 3 gallons of CATANIA Brand, and like AE, in a cardboard box)
HB

Last edited:

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Go to any mayorista colmado, or colmad?n, not the foreign product super-duper markets.
It used to be a staple here. Aceite de man?. They grow lots of peanuts.
Try Hospedajes in Santiago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
HB is right, we ship boxes/blue drums down all the time. Our shipper [and most others] allow a bag of rice and a jug of oil to go outside the box - for FREE. I usually to to Sams Club and buy a giant rice, and 3 or 5 gallon jug of oil.

I like the Lou Ana peanut oil, I found it in 3 gallon bottles that come inside a heavy cardboard box [you can leave the oil inside the box as it has a handle to make it easier to pour] LouAna

Now all you need is someone to ship it to you :confused:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Peanut oil is good if you need to fry at 400 or more, but corn oil is also good for deep frying. Most US restaurants use canola, which is cheaper, but tends to break down a bit faster than corn oil. Maybe refined coconut oil would work? I've never tried it because of the price. "Salad" oils break down very fast.

Probably one of the best, healthiest, tastiest oils that also withstand high temperatures is coconut oil which you can find fresh from time to time in Samana or other ares I am sure.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Probably one of the best, healthiest, tastiest oils that also withstand high temperatures is coconut oil which you can find fresh from time to time in Samana or other ares I am sure.

I've never tried it, or seen it in DR, but sounds great. LouAna sells it though, found it on their website when I was looking for the peanut oil link: LouAna Coconut