Barahona or Rio San Juan?

kinostar

May 24, 2012
I am going to the DR to relax for two weeks and wanted to stay in a town I haven't seen before. I have narrowed it down to Barahona on the southwest coast or Rio San Juan on the north coast. I would be interested in your opinions of these places. (I realize the beach at Barahona has its critics, but more beautiful beaches can be made as a day trip outside of town.)

I am not a nightlife person or boozer and don't care for the "scene" found in "party" tourist towns. But do you think either place has enough interest for more than a day or two? Are there enough in the way of atmospheric or interesting eating places? I speak Spanish, ( as well as English and German) so I don't see any language difficulties.

Thanks for any opinions on these two towns.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Depends on what time of year you're going.

Unless you enjoy brutal-I mean BRUTAL-heat, don't consider Barahona from May-November.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Having spent time in both places I would choose Rio SJ. If you like fresh sea food, RSJ has plenty of it. The restaurants in Barahona are pretty weak, to say the least. Also, as mentioned above the heat is murder.

In RSJ you have one of the best secluded beaches in the DR in Playa Caleton. Also there is Playa Grande beach and of course the golf course is there. It is modeled after Pebble Beach.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Probably Barahona has more to do. You have plenty of beaches within an hours drive maximum, several where the rivers run into the ocean at the same place such as Los Patos. At the beaches there are shacks cooking fresh fish and it makes for a lovely day out. You can also go a little further to Lake Enriquillo to see iguanas and wildlife, Bahia de las Aguilas for a day trip - the most beautiful beach on the island, check out larimar mines, Polo magnetico, national parks. I agree the restaurants in Barahona are not great, but if you like simple and fresh then the beach shacks are good, plus you could always treat yourself to dinner at Casa Bonita hotel in Bahoruco. If the heat gets too much, just jump in the river or head up into the mountains which are right there.

Matilda

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
RSJ definitely. Barahona is someone off the beaten track and hasn't created a track of its own, IMHO. RSJ is near Playa Caleton, Playa Grande, Playa Diamonte, Playa Magenta, Play...well, you get the drift. A lot of beaches. Golf course is nearly stunning just to walk around much less play on.

Cabrera is the next town over, smaller and cleaner and fewer tourists. You can do the horseback riding, ATV rentals, deep sea fishing or any of the other services that have sprung up to service the ultra-luxury villas in Cabrera. You can also get these in RSJ.

If you are bored in RSJ you trek an hour away and you will be in Cabarete. Can't get bored there!

Definitely north coast!

kinostar

May 24, 2012
I want to thank the kind people who took the trouble to write here.
Just in case anyone is also considering these destinations, I found two hotels that appear lovely on the internet and are inexpensive.
One in Rio San Juan called the Bahia Blanca, which is right on the waterfront. The other is in central Barahona called the Loro Tuerto which appears wonderfully atmospheric with a red and green cafe out front. It looks like the type of place you could check into with a big novel and not want to leave.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If you decide to go to Barahona check out the casa bonita about 20 mins west of town. An amazing place.

35jbbjr.jpg

Dominican Republic Hotels | Travel to Dominican | Hotels Barahona Dominican Republic - casabonitadr.com

Matilda

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I want to thank the kind people who took the trouble to write here.
Just in case anyone is also considering these destinations, I found two hotels that appear lovely on the internet and are inexpensive.
One in Rio San Juan called the Bahia Blanca, which is right on the waterfront. The other is in central Barahona called the Loro Tuerto which appears wonderfully atmospheric with a red and green cafe out front. It looks like the type of place you could check into with a big novel and not want to leave.

Casa Bonita (Dominican Republic Hotels | Travel to Dominican | Hotels Barahona Dominican Republic - casabonitadr.com) is definitely the place near Barahona where I would stay. On the north coast, however, I would recommend Hotel La Catalina (Hotel La Catalina - Cabrera, North Coast Dominican Republic Hotel Resort) over Bahia Blanca. Bahia Blanca is someone "long in the tooth", IMHO. I make the recommendations just so you have a good time in either place.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I stayed at the Bahia Blanca a few years ago and had a great stay. The owners, Lise and her husband, were wonderful and the hotel was well run with a nice small restaurant. It's at the waterfront and the rooms on the second and third levels share a balcony. I recommend it. As between Barahona and RSJ, I've visited both and would suggest RSJ. Barahona is a good place to stay when doing day trips to the other areas in the SW as Matilda said, but Barahona is a small Dominican town.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can't beat the location and views at Bahia Blanca.

I'v never stayed there so shouldn't speak to that but as mentioned above, it's not a new place.
If that doesn't bother you, give it a try.

There is an active French community in RSJ - the restaurants are good.

kinostar

May 24, 2012
All this great info and the wonderful PM's! Thanks!!!!!! Beautiful photo, Matilda!
I guess that is the lovely problem with a vacation in the Dominican Republic: so many beautiful spots to pick from!

nina23

Oct 31, 2008
Hello
very difficult to make a choice the 2 places are very very different.Will you be driving or using public transport?That can make a difference . Rio San Juan is a nice quiet little town but with everything you need. Hotel Bahia Blanca has the best view ever even if the facilities are quiet very old, people who go there go for the view and i am part of them i know that hotel since 1990 and Lise and Gaston the owners are always so nice to us.In town You have Las estrellas restaurant (french) with very nice food and on your right when you get to the laguna on a corner you have an Italian with very very nice pizza and pasta (not sure he is still open ) and a lot of dominican restaurant with delicious sea food If you dont have a car i suppose its quiet easy to go to all the nice beaches around (caleton, playa grande, preciosa,diamante,la entrada, lago dudu..........) are they are all situated on the main road going to cabrera
Barahona, in my opinion, you ll need a car , the hotel you picked (Loro tuerto) i ve stayed with my kids twice and it was simple but brand new and very pleasant and very central Casa Bonita is the must if you can afford it i just love it but its outside of town and again you need a car but really to me to enjoy the south west you need a car
Enjoy your stay where ever you will go you cant mistake it
i will be there in a few weeks for a while and i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!

kinostar

May 24, 2012
Thanks Frank and Nina!
I want to answer your question: I am a native New Yorker who moved to Florida and never gave up my NYC ways concerning using public transportation. So I don't rent a car normally when I travel. Caribe Tours services both destinations. I want to thank you for your advice on getting a car, but I will try getting around to the beaches by gua gua or taxi. I'm sure it can be a pain just as a car comes in handy where I live in Florida but I manage.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone. I don't want to hog up more attention... so lets keep any future posts just on the destinations rather than about my personal situation.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You will have to be patient and flexible but if you're up for it, using public transport is a great way to really savour the country.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You will have to be patient and flexible but if you're up for it, using public transport is a great way to really savour the country.

I totally agree. The Caribe Tours goes directly to RSJ and the Parada is a very short distance from the Bahia Blanca.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If you are using public transportation then RSJ is the place you should go. Everything is a lot closer than things in Barahona. Don't get me wrong, I love Barahona, but you need a car to really enjoy it.