Just received this regarding items under $200 US that are imported

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
73.jpg

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Got that too, they really want to make it complicated w/ more and more things here I think...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Obviously they want to force people to buy over prized refurbished and/or 2nd class products or china made sh** in the local "no hay" shops instead to shop class A stuff on amazon or such.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Basically they want to stop the "shopping under US 200 = taxfree" and start tax these too.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Even if they start taxing I still won't buy many things here and prefer a better quality product from abroad = pays off in life expectancy etc. (and still might be at a more reasonable price than buying local, even with tax added).

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Even if they start taxing I still won't buy many things here and prefer a better quality product from abroad = pays off in life expectancy etc. (and still might be at a more reasonable price than buying local, even with tax added).

Not much to say..........they can...... KISS........MY.........MFA.............

B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Welcome to the Dominican Republic

23nnna.gif

Please deposit all your cash upon arrival

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Screw you any way we can

This is a continual ongoing thing in the DR. Any way to screw people out of money. Here's another prime example. My wife has a debit card and for over a year now every month she has been going to the local bank and pulling out $500 U.S. at a time. Well, the bank has now decided to limit the withdrawal to 9,000 pesos max and charge 250 pesos per withdrawal.

Hopefully she and my son will be out of there in a few months. Until then and for all that live in the DR the best you can do is bend over and say, "Thank you may I have another!"

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dear ASODEC:

If you guys tried importing something other than pure overpriced, outdated crap...WHEN you actually have inventory on the shelves...maybe, just maybe, folks wouldn't go to the innerweb to buy things.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
They need to come up with something to force people to shop in those new "grandscale" malls.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
This is a continual ongoing thing in the DR. Any way to screw people out of money. Here's another prime example. My wife has a debit card and for over a year now every month she has been going to the local bank and pulling out $500 U.S. at a time. Well, the bank has now decided to limit the withdrawal to 9,000 pesos max and charge 250 pesos per withdrawal.

Hopefully she and my son will be out of there in a few months. Until then and for all that live in the DR the best you can do is bend over and say, "Thank you may I have another!"

May I ask to which Bank you refer?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

Just for your info............
Association Cibao's inside ATM has a single withdrawal limit of 29,500 DP, and the fee is very fair...........
All in 500 peso notes........

B in Santiago

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Dear ASODEC:

If you guys tried importing something other than pure overpriced, outdated crap...WHEN you actually have inventory on the shelves...maybe, just maybe, folks wouldn't go to the innerweb to buy things.

That's exactly it! They try to get outdated and the cheapest available China crap as cheap as possible and with their monopolies selling it here at double than what cost more up to date or quality stuff abroad.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dear ASODEC:

Asodec is the association of courier companies - they are protesting at the proposed changes.